All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm

Post subject: Painting a Fell beast
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Howdy, I'm new to the hobby with the battle for Pelennor fields box. My friend and I split it and I took the evil forces. I've assembled everything and have begun working on the morannon orcs, but I keep nervously glancing at the witch king.

My question is about your experiences painting the fell beasts: what color did you prime it, what were your techniques? I don't have an air brush (although that seems like it would be the way to go for such a smooth model)
 Post subject: Re: Painting a Fell beast
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOGaokIWx34

Here's a tutorial for the witch king on fell beast, hope it answers most of your questions. For tabletop level it's pretty cool 8)

Airbrush is a very nice tool for bigger models, but dont worry too much about it, you can achieve pretty much all the effects you'll need with a brush, it is just gonna take more time =]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have five of the lads. I primed them black and then drybrushed them with increasingly lighter greys all over and a bit of dark purple in the taut skin areas. All followed with a dark wash. Pretty easy and quick.

http://sfdfsfd.wordpress.com/
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hewhoisnamed wrote:
Howdy, I'm new to the hobby with the battle for Pelennor fields box. My friend and I split it and I took the evil forces. I've assembled everything and have begun working on the morannon orcs, but I keep nervously glancing at the witch king.

My question is about your experiences painting the fell beasts: what color did you prime it, what were your techniques? I don't have an air brush (although that seems like it would be the way to go for such a smooth model)

Did not get mine yet. I use Testors paints. I have a gloss and non-gloss set.
I also keep a solid raw umber from some other brand. Anyways... My set comes in tomorrow(I hope), but here are my thoughts...
Use silver as a base coat at any light spots you desire, and a dark blue for the others. You will notice that ringwraiths have a slight blue hue. Will upload a pick of one of my ringwraiths. Then, go over it once it has dried with a gloss black. The colours will show through slightly, creating a greyish affect at the silver spots and a mostly black but slightly blue area for a the rest. Now take a paper towel and take of the black at the highest ridges so that only some remains, which makes the look even lighter. You can always go back and add more black if need be. Add white for the teath, and red for the tongue. Add some red on the teeth, as if it just ate someone. I will update this once my set comes in, and I can see the actual model.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the link, Whatevier. I really like the schemes at Tale of Painters, but they only did a few of the Hobbit models. Maybe Garfy will buy this set and paint it up with a guide for us.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

White Dwarf 362 Feb 2010 has a guide to painting the plastic kit if thats of any use

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The citadel paint app has been updated and has a selection of lotr models; the ringwraith on fellbeast beaing one of them so always worth a look at how they recommend.