All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:52 pm

Post subject: Wargs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:01 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Any painting tips? Trying to amp up my painting. Trying to not blend, as it makes replicating harder(say I order another batch of the same unit later on, and want it to look like I painted them the same way). Was particularly wondering: if I did skin with Raw Umber(dark brown, but different-ish), should I use brown on hair to be movie accurate, or paint them how I imagined them when reading the books?
Big thing that I am wondering: Paint them like in the game book or movies? Game book shows skin and fur as different colours, while movies show them more mono-coloured. I was thinking a blend, where I go over the very tips of the fur with a lighter coulour. So dark brown with light brown, black with gloss black. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Wargs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What you could do is try different colour schemes on test models and choose the one you prefer.
Another possibility is to have wargs of different colours, to represent the variety of skin tones in nature, not all wolves have exactly the same fur.
Or you could paint them in a greyish colour, to stick with the wolf theme. You should really go with what pleases your eye. It is your mini after all.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There is no right or wrong when it comes to the wargs colouring. Not all of them have to be identical. Try different combinations of colour on them and just see what happens.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
paint them how I imagined them when reading the books

You answered your own question. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:22 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks dor the replies! I am looking at some brown and black right now, and will probobly do some black gloss that is thinned some(looks more like grey) on the black ones with a light brown on the hair tips of the brown ones. Please note I use oil paints, not water colours. I am unsure about how the brown will turn out, though. Any thoughts on the updated colour scheme? Trying to avoid white, as we only really see one, an albino, which are rare.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I saw some really cool ones with tiger stripes one of the younger players in our league did a number of years ago. In the old weekly WD featuring Space Wolves there is an excellent article on painting the then new wild wolves. I did my wild wolves like that and choose to use them as wild wargs.

Here's the formula I used for warg riders, modified from "Scourging of the Shire":
Basecoat rhinox hide entire model. Fur: Drybrush poo brown, as scorched brown no longer exists. Drybrush bestial brown, drybrush snakebite leather. Lightly drybrush fur with an off white, focus on raised areas and do the mane heavily. Skin: poo brown+black+fortress grey. Leave basecoat showing in deepest recesses. Mix in more grey for highlight. Fortress grey+ bleached bone for final highlight. I like to use the off whites in the P3 range, but they can be difficult to obtain. A wet palette helps immensely when mixing paints. (You can do the mixing individually over many painting sessions, they will end up looking more unique that way.) Paint teeth and claws bestial brown, leaving the basecoat around the nail bed to define. Paint teeth and claws with an off white. If you want, you can paint the eyes black or an eerie blue-white. Enjoy!