All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:28 am

Post subject: My first painting project - War of Ring
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:09 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello one-ring forum!
Today and after a week of practicing painting on cheap/fail miniatures, I decided to start my first big painting project, and this is the War of Ring!

I have been researching on tutorials/guides for all my miniatures and I managed to collect enough information on what colors to use (ideas of course from other people work) and noted everything in a big .txt file. I currently own a Citadel Base Color set, a Citadel Shade Set and a lot Citadel Layer paints and Brushes but tomorrow I will buy some more colors that I am missing and are necessary for my projects.
Note: If you wonder why Citadel, it's because I live in a small island and I do not have access to other paints (without paying huge shipping costs that will make my purchases not worthy in terms of money).

So I have a few questions for the community, I am sure this is the best place to ask since there are a lot of guys who have done the same painting project (War of Ring) or similar ones and can assist me. So here we go...

1) PRIMERS
Besides that I might need a white primer. Do you think I should go with "better" Primers like with Citadel ones?
I currently use 2 primers from CosmosLac.
1 Black Fast Acrylic CosmosLac (3$)
1 Gray Classic Acrylic CosmosLac (3$)

These are the results I have from Black one (War of Ring Rohan):

2) PAINTING WAR OF RINGS MINIATURES
Do you have any guides/tutorials for the specific War of Ring miniatures? I would like detailed info like what kind of colors used (their names also) in order to start my project as good as possible.
As I said I have collected lots of info regarding how to paint each race, but they are mostly for GW lotr miniatures (bigger and more detailed than mine), so I won't use all those info on my War of Ring miniatures but I wanted to get the idea and of course keep those info for my upcoming GW lotr miniatures (once i finish my current ones).

3) VARNISHER
Should I buy another Varnisher like the Citadel Varnisher?
I am reading that varnishers on small minis like the War of Ring ones is not necessary and won't give me much profit.
I currently use CosmosLac again Wood Satin Varnish (3$) and this is the result I got to one of my "practice miniatures"

4) WET PALLETE
I currently use a home made wet pallet. This is the process I followed to make it:
A short-sighted plastic food saver.
A Paper Towel
A non-stick paper (the one you use for bakery)
I put water on it and shake it in order for the water to be drived above the non stick paper and on paper towel so its wet on the base of palette.
Is that it all? Do I have to do other things to gain more time or better painting environment? Anything I should be careful for?

Sorry for being so long in my thread, I hope you can help me out so I can start painting as soon as possible!

Thank you all for this amazing community!
 Post subject: Re: My first painting project - War of Ring
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Good luck on your project! You might find this thread useful - this is his final post on his painting of War of the Rings miniatures - work backwards to see how he did it.

http://wargamingwithbarks.blogspot.com/ ... hings.html

Post subject: Re: My first painting project - War of Ring
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Mapper wrote:
Good luck on your project! You might find this thread useful - this is his final post on his painting of War of the Rings miniatures - work backwards to see how he did it.

http://wargamingwithbarks.blogspot.com/ ... hings.html

Thank you very much for your reply and help (I already had this blog on my list but thanks anyway)