All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

Post subject: First conversions - help!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok, I got out my greenstuff at the weekend which I have only ever used to fill gaps with previously. I managed a mail coif on a rohan infantryman just about, and then got overly ambitious. Deciding to convert a chap into a standard bearer (the bloke pointing his sword backwards and down while having his shield out in front) I hacked off his right arm, sword and cloak.

I used a bit of paperclip drilled and glued to start his arm off and then bulked it out with a sausage of GS which I wound round. I took a hand from another scrap figure and pinned it on the end but I am now stuck.

What's the right way of adding the clothing layer? my first attempt just looked gash so I peeled it off.
 Post subject: Re: First conversions - help!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is it the cloak or a sleeve on the arm that is giving you problems? Do you have another model that you can use as a guide in how you want it to look? If you post a picture of what you have done it might help in getting an answer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

What tools are you using? To do flowing cloth such as cloaks then I advise investing in some rubber tipped clay shapers (size 0) which will make your life much easier. They are not expensive. You should also first put down an undersized bulk layer to let harden so that you can lay a detail layer over the top of it afterwards. Trying to do the whole thing in one go is a mistake a lot of novices make. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'll take some pictures at the weekend.

For tools I was using a Stanley knife blade. Yes, literally. :(

In the meantime I've done a few more coifs which are a little bit more successful and I'm happy with, and an attempt at a standard which I'm less happy with and which I almost certainly should have used a more stiff mix of GS. I also need to buy some new GS, the stuff I'm using must be 10 years old..

I've just bought a set of 12 wax/clay tools from ebay but not the rubber tipped ones you suggest UKFB, I will have to have a look at some of those. I've not even tried any more sculpting since they arrived.