All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 pm

Post subject: Mirkwood rangers colour matching
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Could someone help me identify the colours used on the leather strapping/armour that these guys wear over their green jerseys.
Much appreciated!

Attachment:
99121463006_MirkwoodRangersNEW03-1.jpg

Attachment:
99121463006_MirkwoodRangersNEW02.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Post subject: Re: Mirkwood rangers colour matching
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:35 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Looks like base of rhinox hide, highlighted by adding small amounts of screaming skull successively
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice one, thanks for the reply.

While on the subject, any chance anyone knows the colour of the grey/purple looking cloth here... Been trying to mix it up for hours!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

To be honest, that cloth (if you mean the main body of cloth including hood) looks to be very similar, if not almost identical, to the colour of the brown cloth in your first post. It looks like Rhinox Hide basecoat and then a highlight of maybe 50:50 Rhinox Hide and Ushabti Bone. If you followed this, you'd want to add more highlights in between the pure Rhinox Hide and 50:50 mix.

Whenever you mix Rhinox Hide with Ushabti Bone it gives a sort of pinkish-purple tinge to the brown. I think that the reason it looks different to the first photos is because its over a larger area (and the highlights are thicker/wider).

Hope this helps. Sorry if you've already tried this mix and it hasn't matched. That's just what it looks like to me... :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

IMHO (which I know you didn't ask, but I am going to tell you anyways). I would say, don't worry about it and paint them in any color scheme you want. It may not be exact, but it's yours. One of my favorite parts of this hobby is all the different color schemes! That is what I miss most about GW support. I loved seeing all the different paint schemes put out by the 'eavy metal team. There were some very creative ideas!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

jdizzy001 wrote:
IMHO (which I know you didn't ask, but I am going to tell you anyways). I would say, don't worry about it and paint them in any color scheme you want. It may not be exact, but it's yours. One of my favorite parts of this hobby is all the different color schemes! That is what I miss most about GW support. I loved seeing all the different paint schemes put out by the 'eavy metal team. There were some very creative ideas!

Totally agree and I usually do just that, however I was really taken by this particular scheme and fancied giving it a bash.
But yeah, there did used to be some great stuff from the 'eavy metal crew. Back in the day eh! Sad times
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bandobras Took wrote:
To be honest, that cloth (if you mean the main body of cloth including hood) looks to be very similar, if not almost identical, to the colour of the brown cloth in your first post. It looks like Rhinox Hide basecoat and then a highlight of maybe 50:50 Rhinox Hide and Ushabti Bone. If you followed this, you'd want to add more highlights in between the pure Rhinox Hide and 50:50 mix.

Whenever you mix Rhinox Hide with Ushabti Bone it gives a sort of pinkish-purple tinge to the brown. I think that the reason it looks different to the first photos is because its over a larger area (and the highlights are thicker/wider).

Hope this helps. Sorry if you've already tried this mix and it hasn't matched. That's just what it looks like to me... :)

Cheers man, very useful!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I used rhinox hide then lightened a couple of times with baneblade brown before an edge highlight of ushabti personally for a similar effect.