All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

Post subject: Making Uruk-Hai with cross-bows and pikes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi

After researching this a lot, I seem to get the impression that Uruk-hai can take both pikes and cross-bows as wargear under the new Hobbit SBG, but obviously can't shoot and support in same turn or shoot and move.

I thus want to make 12 Uruk-Hai with cross-bows and pikes for an army I am building.

Does anyone know of some 25mm scale cross-bows that are the right aesthetic for Uruk-Hai, which can be slung on the back of pike-men?

Or similarly, does anyone know of pikes that are the right look and scale for uruk-hai which can be put on the backs or bases of cross-bow men?

Also, if you think that Uruk-hai cannot take crossbows and pikes, can you please direct me to some rules or FAQ's that clearly state this as I don't want to convert unusable miniatures.

Post subject: Re: Making Uruk-Hai with cross-bows and pikes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:39 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well...there is the old citadel conversion sprue that contains a conversion for a thrusting pike man. It gives him a xbow and a new head.

Honestly, though, uruk-pikes are quite cheap on ebay, especially the vertical ones. The pikes do tend to break, so you can snip off the ends and give them metal rods, reattaching the heads with super glue. Just drill down into the model hands a little bit for authenticity and stability before attaching the rod. I've also seen frustrated modelers replace the pike with a sharpened cocktail stick/skewer.

For the crossbows, I like the ones included with the fireforge Deus Vult miniatures. They are beautiful minis and include lances which could be used for pikes. Also, you can make the wonderful mounted Numenoreans that are totally a hot conversion right now. Deus Vult is 100% scale compatible. A bit pricy, but lots of components and minis.