All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:07 pm

Post subject: Basing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey guys, really need help with this one.

So i'm basing my guys with scorched brown, bestia brown, bleached bone then a wash of devlan mud.

My problem is that I want to make every single one of my armies uniform on the battlefield and in my blog, but i dont know what do do about certain situations.

For example, initially i have based my balrog and my moria goblins along with my cave troll in a moria theme, which was cool, but yeah again with the uniform thing. Also, i was gonna base my models based on what models battle where, so high elves and sauron would be mordor, mines of moria fellowship and goblins would be moria etc. This would obviously cost me a hell of a lot, particularly when i get around to playing with othe players armies.

So, what do i do? Should i base all my guys with the same basing technique, or do something else?

Post subject: Re: Basing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I chose to keep all my bases uniformed whatever the force the warrior is from... It's a kind of grassland plain effect....
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I prefer the painting/converting/collecting part of the hobby, so I have lots of models across many armies.

For my bases, I have each unit based appropriately for their home regions. For example, wooden planks with bones for Misty Mountains Goblins, desert for Harad, black sand for Mordor, leaves for Wood Elves, snow for Angmar, rocks and skulls for Men of the Dead.

Then I have a black trim on all the bases, keeping my collection uniform. Works a treat.

Legolas and Gimli on Horseback
Saruman on Horseback

Last edited by Raspberrygoop on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ANd if you really can't decide, choose the golden middle and make uniformed bases but add details that feature each armies origin. (for example dry gras and dark tones for orcs, green gras for elves, only little gras for dwarves and goblins, maybe some stones or ruin bits for minas tirith)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I go with bases appropriate to the models/army, but since I usually build Good/Evil for a region I will have one of each. For example, my Wood Elves and Dol Guldur armies share very similar base techniques and I'm just starting work on Goblins and Dwarves that will each be based with cave/mines bases. This does not count base rim color which is a whole different discussion but just the terrain and presentation of the bases.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I base everything simple grass/plain effect, because if your Moria Goblins and Haradrim based thematically meet one another across a grassy plain, it gives a rather strange effect...

I do occasionally add small touches such as a tree stump on my ent's base.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I love basing. Don't stress too much about it and just try new things out. Different combinations of colours and drybrushes over sand/gravel. Its surprising sometimes at the results. Keep a bitz box and don't throw anything away, bits of cork etc - keep the lot as it always comes in useful.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
I love basing. Don't stress too much about it and just try new things out. Different combinations of colours and drybrushes over sand/gravel. Its surprising sometimes at the results. Keep a bitz box and don't throw anything away, bits of cork etc - keep the lot as it always comes in useful.

DMS's bases are amazing. Check his website for inspiration. I'm starting to follow his example, using Miliput to sculpt cobblestone bases for my Mines of Moria Fellowship. If I ever start Dwarves, I'll do it for them too.

I have some historical Anglo Saxons which double as Rohirrim / Rhovanion warriors. For the bases, I go: Leather Brown (Vallejo equivalent of Scorched brown), highlighted with Dheneb Stone then Bleached Bone. I then glue on Citadel Dead Grass (yellow).

For my Fall of Arthedain era Arnor army, I'm doing a winter theme. Leather Brown, highlighted with Bleached Bone then Citadel Snow Flock glued on. I will also do the same scheme for my Angmar army when I get round to finishing them (I mainly play Good).

For my Gondor army, I will eventually rebase them. Most are very old, about 10 years, and have a horrible scheme of a single very thick layer of the obsolete Snakebite Leather (so thick that its cracked in places, giving the impression of dried out mud), with excessive amounts of green Citadel Static grass. When I repaint and rebase them, I'll use an Osgiliath theme, perhaps with Miliput sculpted paving stones.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow DMS, those are awesome. I've decided i will keep them all uniform but put items on their bases from their homes e.g urukhai shield on a rider of rohan etc.