Well, guess it is time for me to embark on yet another project...
I quite fancy doing an alternative Angmar list, not for official use, but one that I can incorporate a variety of manufacturers minis in, probably just as a side project, or something I can use at the club
Seeing as I have a huge backlog of Mantic Undead, they provided the idea to go for the ghostly legions of Angmar, although, I expect a few monstrous Misty Mountains allies to be included.
So, I have a few ideas so far, going through the Angmar list -Ghostly Legion
- Mantic Skeleton Warriors, painted up as ethereal should do the trick. Command parts included on sprues. One Skeleton Horde should do for 5 companies.
Also, to take advantage of the Cursed Armour Fate, Mantic Revenants as they are more heavily armoured.
which leads nicely toGhostly Riders
- Mantic Revenant KnightsSpectral Host
- Mantic Zombies with the inclusion of wet effect swamp bases and some brass etched foliage as reeds etc. Any excuse to paint more of these models. Just finished 90 in <a week, they are fantastic.Carn Dum Warband
- Warlord Games plastic Celts (or Ancient Brits, or Dacians etc) - mixed weapons really isn't an issue, plus I should have lots of swords lying about.Angmar Orc Warband
- I might just use LotR Orcs for this. I really like Wargames Foundry War Orcs but they are pretty expensive to amass in bulk. I'll look into Mantic's Orcs when they are released, but, I'm not sure the imagery is right.Court of Fallen Kings
- Mantic Wraiths - I've already been told they remind people of Barrow Wights, plus I love the models.Shade
- Mantic Liche King - it almost looks made for LotR, should look great on a 40mm base.Werewolf Pack
- A bit stumped here. Can't really find exceptional werewolf models that will sit comfortably on standard bases, the best I've found so far are Heresy's Werewolf
I found werewolf heads online somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember where.
The named characters are a dilema, one one hand, using the official models drastically cuts down on confusion, but, if I'm going to do an alt. list, well, I might as well go all the way...Buhrdur
- Heresy Troll - just because he looks mean as all hell, possible a Reaper Ogre/Hill Giant.Gulavhar
- Either Mantic's Vampire on Pegasus (it flies...)
or the Heresy Demon Lord
Not sure about the Ringwraiths, probably just the official models, unless I get better suggestions.
As for Allies, I am seriously tempted by Heresy's Dragon model
although, the £200 price tag is kinda offputting... and a Majestic Bear Stone Giant is sure to factor in somewhere as well
although, the Ultraforge one is also tempting.
I'm keen to find a decent set of minis to use as Wargs, and probably some other stuff that escapes my attention just now.
So, what I really need is a few suggestion either for alternative models to ones I have already chosen, or suggestions to plug some of the gaps.
Great post John (I just came across it). How do the Mantic undead compare in scale with GW warriors of the Dead. Would they mix ok in the same formation?