All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:05 pm

Post subject: My research for galadhrim
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:24 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

as you all know, i am going crazy to get the right recipe for the armor that suits me for my galadhrim.

i like many of the ways that some of you have shown, at the beginning of my travels, i used this games workshop produced galadhirm stage-by-stage workshop.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... 34&start=2

I understand how to water down and do several layers of shining gold and all of the washes. I can get the right color as the picture shows, but when it comes to the last stage(stage 4) it baffles me when it comes to the highlighting the armor! The part is highlighting the armor with a 1:1 mix of shining gold and mithril silver.

i have done this highlighting step many different times, but i can never be satisfied with my product.

the final step picture for the armor shows a little bit of the mix of the 2 paints, but it is not put on the edges of the armor like my current soldiers,

here is are some pics of the current guys
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/viewto ... &start=200

as you can see i literally paint the mix on the edges of the armor but i don't want that!!

so do you guys think that the guy's armor (final stage)in the games workshop article is blended?

and if you guys think the mix is blended with the armor, can you guys give me some tips on how to do that good of blending!!

thanks all,
please respond, i need all the help i can get!

i really appreciate it
feanorthenoldor
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:09 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Have you tried a light drybrush of the gold/silver mix? For that kind of small detail you need a small brush and have to be very careful not to get some on other parts, but I've always enjoyed the effect.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Stage 4 does look as if its blended, also appears to be at least 3 different mixes of the gold and silver.
The article says he done the final edges using a 1:1 mix. But if you look at the Armour plate on his left thigh it appears that he worked up to a 1:1 mix. Perhaps starting with a Gold 3:1 Silver mix, then 2:1 and finally 1:1.

Alternatively, if your building up the gold in several thin layers you could try paint the Silver highlight on before, lets say the fourth application of gold. The Silver will still shine through and the thin layers painted over it help fuse both colors giving a smooth transition.

You could also try painting all the gold, paint the highlights from the 3:1 mix up to the 1:1 mix and then paint the watered down shader color progressively into the shaded areas. This can help the highlights and mid tones blend together while painting the shaded areas.

Nice job on your galadhrim btw hes looking cool, good luck.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think the problem is that Tomaszewski's painting style revolves around lots of extreme highlights (one of GW's new habits which is a PITA!). Definately, on face terms, there doesn't seem to be any blending done there at all - it looks like he's just done extreme, EXTREME highlights whereas your highlights are a bit thicker - so the armour doesn't look the same due to the thickness of stroke. He also jumps from stage to stage - so he works with a lot less layers - and the result of not having the same brush control means that you have a really stark, unrealistic contrast such as the one you're complaining about.

To rectify this, I would suggest adding in another layer before the mithril silver + shining gold highlight. So add burnished gold as your next highlight, and then highlight that with a burnished gold + mithril silver mix instead.

Additionally, I would also change the wash type - use thraka green to shade the armour at the shining gold stage. Then work your way from there.

Hope that helps, if you need more info, don't hesitate to ask!