All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:20 am

Post subject: Mirkwood sentinels.?? any other elf alternatives?
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:32 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey folks. Got my battlehost's book today. :D
I'm happy so far. But it looks like the only battle host i can
comfortably make is the Thranduils host....Yea think about that for a moment. I am actually supposed to be a rohan player :roll:

anyways,The list calls for 1-2 formations of Mirkwood sentinels,Wich of course I do not have,and have no hope in hell of getting because GW is out of them :twisted: :-X

To be honest,i really don't feel like paying this kind of premium price for 1 or 2 companies of these guys.

My question: What do you guys use as an alternative?
Would using some galadhrim painted up different Pass for them?

I was actually looking real hard at mantic games. But they seem a little goofy looking too. anyone have any imput on these as well?

I don't mind actually buying the wood elves boxes,I can get them cheap.
it's just this one formation that is giving me problems. and I can not see spending upwards of 45 dollars just for a few metal figs when I can spend that money on more of something better.....like Mumaks :-D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would suggest the conversion of some plastic wood elves, or even just a different colour scheme on some plastics.

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There were some metal Wood Elves / Lothlorien Elves which I believe are still available. Those looked pretty good and I'm going to get a blister or two to add to my Sentinel Formation so I don't have 16 models with only three poses. :?

As mentioned above, plastic Wood Elves are a perfectly acceptable alternative as well. Currently I proxy in 10 plastic WEs (mostly archers with a couple bladesmen) with 6 Sentinels to make two Companies. If you want to be sure there's no confusion on the board you could always paint all your Sentinels with a unique scheme (or at least a unique cloak color). The risk of such confusion isn't as bad in WotR where everything is on a base as it can be in SBG where everyone is running around individually. But then in SBG you rarely would have more than a couple Sentinels in an army anyway.

Silly question on my part, perhaps, but if you are, as you say, a Rohan player then why is Thranduil's Hall the only Battlehost you can make? It seems like you are pretty light in this area since you don't have any Sentinels (and it requires 8 minimum) and you talk about having to buy plastic Wood Elves as well (so it seems you don't have too many Companies there either). I haven't seen BH host (get my copy in two days! :D ) but I would think as a Rohan player you should be as close or closer to getting what you need for a Rohan Battleshost...

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Re: Mirkwood sentinels.?? any other elf alternatives?
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

7Thunders wrote:

I was actually looking real hard at mantic games. But they seem a little goofy looking too. anyone have any imput on these as well?

Their Undead are nice, especially the Ghouls, but I found the Elves to be far too skinny and fiddly.

Your mileage may vary though. At the end of the day, they are pretty cheap, so buying one box to test isn't too much of an expenditure.

Hmmm, maybe I can put mine to use in an Angmar list...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Check out Mr. Tom Meier's Wood Elf Scouts (www.thunderboltmountain.com), they're very close in size to the plastic LoTR figs, and wonderfully detailed. Oh, and $3.50 a piece.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Zakael is wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Use some ordinary plastics with a different colour scheme, hoods sculpted on (whether up or down), a few hints of armour (like chainmail tabards), add some tassles and toggles, a few instruments here and there and you're done. A little GS and some plastic models will easily get you your numbers.

However, as noted above, there are at least 2 Rohan Battlehosts, so how is Thranduil's Halls more fitting/viable?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Good Ideas. thanks.

Let me explain. Since I am being asked "Why" Not rohan?

1 year ago this month. I started WOTR.
The original plan,was to field 2 seperate 750 point armies.

the first being rohan,the second being harad.

The rohan force was to have some allies in the form of elves.
this was done in order to keep cost's down,and not have to get too burned out in one particualr painting project.(variety is the spice of life kids :) )
Now,somewhere along the line. GW released a bunch of must have stuff and they of course made me buy it.
All or most of it had nothing to do with my rohan force.
My Harad army is HUGE!!,and I had a deal come my way for extra wood elves,and those really low powered crappy Galadhrim Knights :lol:

Meanwhile my 2 boxes of riders and erkenbrand sit on my shelf :oops:

January arrived and I was not currently playing.
enter wallet slaying 40k. :twisted: . . .Yup you guessed it!!
No more rohan purchased,because I just had to have a 2000pt crimson fist's army.

Just last week I had two stores close in my area.
No more 40k,wotr,or warmachine. :x

This news get's counter acted by a new store that is opening up in june.

After talking to the new owner,I get to be the guy that set's up a Display,
and teach folks the game.
Only thing is i don't have enough rohan,and i really can't afford another 400 dollars to get jiggy with it just to show off.
This is the price you pay for being a step dad with an 18 year old daughter that is graduating in 1 week.

So it would just be easier for me to develop the elves,and then slowly over time (yea right) build my rohan.

whew!! now you know the rest of the story.

: in truth,it's my own fault. Had i been doing what needed to be done,instead of getting side tracked this would have never have happened :no: