All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:51 pm

Post subject: painting advice
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

im just starting painting again wonering what order you do models in. flesh first i presume but then what? i use a white primer. how is the best way to paint armour? i did drybrush boltgun metal onto black but painting black onto the white basecoat dosnt look good. also how do i stop the primer coming off? they always seem to get chipped on the corners even though i dont touch them. i heard it might be caused my grease left on from the casting. how do i get rid of this? thanks
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I always start with the more prominent colours ie cloaks or armour then you wont mess up any intricate parts you've already spent time on if you need to dry brush.
For armour I always use chain mail over black undercoat them wash with GW badab Black wash a couple of times. But you could use Mithril silver instead of chain mail if that's too dark for you I just like
my amour to be a darker colour.
As for your primer I cant help you with that as I dont have that problem? I use a black spray undercoat and never had any problems? Ive used white once or twice but not had any probs with that either??
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

ste271276 wrote:
I always start with the more prominent colours ie cloaks or armour then you wont mess up any intricate parts you've already spent time on if you need to dry brush.
For armour I always use chain mail over black undercoat them wash with GW badab Black wash a couple of times. But you could use Mithril silver instead of chain mail if that's too dark for you I just like
my amour to be a darker colour.
As for your primer I cant help you with that as I dont have that problem? I use a black spray undercoat and never had any problems? Ive used white once or twice but not had any probs with that either??

thanks for the reply. will not do flesh firsh next time lol. people always seem to on painting guides but i guess they are at a much higher standard than me and dont need to worry about messing it up.

for the armor would it look good painted boltgun metal and given a black ink to give depth? because the painted black is slightly glossy and isnt as good for drybrushing onto. guess i have to try it.

as for the chipping it happens on things like fingers or hair. i am using metal minis though. seem to remember it happened a bit less with black. maybe im going too light?
 Post subject: Re: painting advice
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
wupwup wrote:
im just starting painting again wonering what order you do models in. flesh first i presume but then what? i use a white primer. how is the best way to paint armour? i did drybrush boltgun metal onto black but painting black onto the white basecoat dosnt look good. also how do i stop the primer coming off? they always seem to get chipped on the corners even though i dont touch them. i heard it might be caused my grease left on from the casting. how do i get rid of this? thanks

I start with the biggest, messiest areas first, and go from there to the smaller details, such as faces.

White primer isn't the best choice for quick, good results. It yields much cleaner results but doesn't work as well as black spray, which naturally provides shading.

One thing I'd suggest for starters after priming white is giving the whole thing a wash of Badab Black or watered-down Chaos Black. This will provide some shading and you can take it from there.

The primer coming off isn't a problem I'm having. You may be spraying too thin a coat. Or, as you say, it may be grease. If this is so, rinse it in soapy water and let it dry before priming.

Hope this helps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

thanks. my complaint with black primer is i cant see the detail as clearly to paint and things like faces are hard to paint as you need a light basecoat. im willing to take my time with these models so thats not realy an issue. thinking about it a black wash would have been great. my washes never seem to look good though. another skill i forgot
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
wupwup wrote:
thanks. my complaint with black primer is i cant see the detail as clearly to paint and things like faces are hard to paint as you need a light basecoat. im willing to take my time with these models so thats not realy an issue. thinking about it a black wash would have been great. my washes never seem to look good though. another skill i forgot

Well, I could point you to a tip from Ganlaf the Grey, another member on the site. After painting, he drybrushes the entire model with Codex Grey. Apparently it helps him a lot with seeing the detail.

Take a look herehttp://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=802

As for faces, try getting some Tallarn Flesh. This will completely cover the Chaos Black in just 1-2 coats, without any showing through, if you ever decide to prime in black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes I agree once undercoated in black a light drybrush with a lighter colour will show up all the detail although if you have decent lighting you shouldnt really need it. Again good coverage is acheived through multiple coats of wtered down paint its so much more effective than thick paint, when I first started doing this I found it quite annoying as I wanted a quick fix so to speak but soon realised putting that little bit more time into it makes a huuuuge difference.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

great idea to drybrush it, cheers. i havnt got a decent painting light so that dosnt help
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've found that good lighting is VERY important, especially if you're working on the details which can easily get lost in shadow if you're lighting is poor. Maybe just adding a portable gooseneck lamp might help.