All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:47 pm

Post subject: Gluing metal KoMT
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I wish I'd have waited for the plastic ones to come out. I spent about an hour last night trying to superglue the lances onto the knights, and I managed to get 2 done. For whatever reason, the glue didn't want to set. It stuck to me, and to the paper towel, but it didn't want to stick to the mini... Any suggestions for getting the glue to set?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

if you have green stuff, i would apply it on there first with some super glue on it to reinforce the bond, but don't use too much green stuff, it won't look good.

but with the green stuff it should temporarily hold the lance in place and the super glue will help glue it over night.

tip: i usually use some putty and make a tower out of it and stick it up from a flat surface to hold the whatever it is up, so it doesn't fall down and to help, obviously, with the gluing.

there you go
hope that helps

feanorthenoldor
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A drop of water. I was once working on a cave troll with a broken hammer. I put a whole bunch of super glue on its and dipped it in water, the glue set instantly but it turned white and unusually brittle so it would be better to let it set normally if you can.

Post subject: Re: Gluing metal KoMT
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

archmage45 wrote:
I wish I'd have waited for the plastic ones to come out.

Don't feel bad about getting the metals. You can come back later & put capes onto them for mounted Citadel Guard. I've got six promoted to the Guard.
As to making the lances stay, I think the only thing that will work is to get a pin vice, some paperclip wire, and pin them on. This is tedious, but very effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:24 pm 
Did you try super-glue excellerator/ conditioner? This way the glue takes just a few seconds to bond. It usually comes in a spray-bottle. I found it very helpful. There are several products of various brands on the market, mine is from GaleForce 9. Usually they work with all cyanacrylat-glues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As others have suggested, I think you'd be best served by either using green stuff in conjunction with the super glue or pinning them. Pinning can be a little tedious as was also said, so I'd advise that you try to use green stuff first and then if that doesn't work try your luck at pinning it. :)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There are two kinds of problems with super glue. Either the glue has gone bad and lost it cyanide (in which case it usually turns a bit yellow), or the part is not being held still for the glue to dry. Given that the glue is sticking to stuff I will assume it is the latter. What I do is use a piece of blue tack out side of the join to hold the part in place while the glue dries. In the case of the knight I would put some on his back with enough extra to wrap over his shoulder. I then put the glue on the joint and put it in place. I then wrap the blue tack around to hold the part still.

Water and super glue accelerator work, but make the joint more brittle and prone to breakage. Green stuff and super glue also works, but green stuff is brittle and makes for a weaker joint.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Your glue is old. One trick I've successfully used even with old glue is apply it to one side, then breathe gently on the other (as if fogging to clean your glasses), then press together. Usually works great.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

whats your tactic for glueing? do you just dollop it on, or put a drop on both parts, or drop some in the cavity and then push the hand in?

i find that a thin layer on both parts and then holding them together for a minute always does the trick.

perhaps the 2 pieces arent making enough contact? have you tried filing/sanding down the 2 pieces so they fit together more snugly?

lastly, and this is totally experimental, as i have never tried it myself, i suppose you could solder the pieces together? :P

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

On the point of what to use the models for, you could use them for Mounted Minas Tirith Captains.