All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:38 am

Post subject: Collecting Dwarves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:55 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I need advice about which dwarves should i use to command my army i've already got gimli but use him on his own. I also need advice about dwarf shock troops and reccomended warriours
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Get warriors! I haven't played with elites except for rangers if you want to call them that, but a whole bunch of dwarves have always been a tough nut to crack. A banner can also really help, it has won me many a games as long as I used it correctly. As for leaders, a captain can help and it comes with the banner (unless you got a blister with two banner carriers like me) or Dain and Balin. Balin is very good for his points and Dain is really hard to kill and so a menace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

For elites you could use the khazad guard they have heavy armour and two-handed axes they're good against pretty much anything.

otherwise the ironguard are good with two hand weapons and throwing axes.

Your army should have a core of dwarf warriors they're as cheap as dwarves get and are pretty tough.

A ballista is good to take out monsters and massed ranks of enemy troops.

For leaders Dain is a good one with high courage and defence and a magical axe you could use Balin for a lower cost but still better than a captain and you're able to equip him with Durins axe.

You can use a captain not as powerful as the named heroes but still pretty good.

-Dwarvish war cry
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@ lord_balin
I've never had much success with the balista so you you mind sharing your methods? From my experience it rarely hits the monsters and soon becomes useless as my warriors sit back and get shot at or get in the way. It would be nice to know how to use well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My oppontent plays dwarfs and has a balista. He also rarely hits, but it has a psychological effect.

For example, if you have a lot of your models bunched up and you see the balista it makes you thinks if I get hit, alot of my guys will die. So then people spread out there battle line, often weakinging it.

It's the same with monsters such as trolls. Players try to get thier monsters out of view of the ballista, fearing if they get hit, it's going to hurt. This stops the monster geting where it should be (in combat).