All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

Post subject: Dice!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

We all have them and we all use them, otherwise we wouldn't be here. Like it or not, we all have compulsions and rituals we do with our dice as well. What are yours?

I for one have a few irrational beliefs regarding dice...
1.) If I leave my dice with the number I want to roll facing up for a long period of time (I call this "training" my dice), the magic of gravity will shift the weight of my dice downward making the number I want lighter which in turn will mean the opposite side with be heavier and thus more likely to be pulled to the bottom when I roll it as it is now heavier on one side.
2.) DON'T TOUCH MY DICE! Your karma will rub off on to it and I don't know what kind of Karma you're carrying.
3.) Not all dice are created equal, some dice are better than others and it all depends on where the air bubbles inside are located.
4.) When possible, always buy translucent dice as these will allow you to see where the air bubbles settled.
5.) Use larger (at least standard sized) dice, the little one's don't roll well. Ironically, I love the little ones that I use those exclusively, to my demise.
6.) If I mentally visualize the number I want, my dice will respond in kind.

And my newest irrational dice belief 7.) If I just rolled a high number with one of my dice and I need to roll again (IE: I just won a duel roll and now must roll damage) I need to roll with a different dice otherwise the probability of dice 1 rolling high again is too low. For example, The probability of rolling a 6 on a six sided dice is 1/6. The probability of rolling a second 6 is 1/36 (1/6 x 1/6). So to "reset" the odds back to 1/6 on the second roll, I need to use a different dice.

So, what superstitions do you hold?
 Post subject: Re: Dice!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

1- Hahahahahahaha good dice good dice! Training stuff had me in stitches.
2-I let people use my dice. Especially if they're having a bad game rolling. Why? Because my dice love ME.
3-Sure. I have a set of dice I bought back in High school that are my favorite.
4-I prefer cool colors or evil colors. Red black yellow tan etc.
5- I, and anyone who plays me with sma dice rolls terribly....
6/7 lol

I guess that's a way I can respond to this topic. I don't have any beliefs but I have a bit to say. The GW dice from Isengard Gondor etc are ALL GARBAGE. Small dice are terrible.

I have a preferred set. Though.....when I was on vacation in October I bought a couple sets of dice off this gypsy lady. She was at a flea market and it was hot and she was all the way in the back in one of the rows. She was still fully wrapped in her outfit including head.

I thought man I'll just buy a couple sets for a few bucks since she was out there. Turns out as I secretly hoped these dice have some sort of black magic. When I've called upon them 5s and 6s are abundant and the gypsy dice reign supreme.

Post subject: Re: Dice!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It entirely depends on the day for me. About half the games I play, the dice are fair. The other half of the time the dice gods laugh at my and my opponents attempts at odds making. I had a game where for 3 turns in a row, roughly half of my goblins won fights against dwarves with banner support. Then I killed about 5-6 dwarves a turn. Of the 2-3 goblins killed each turn, only 1 didn't make his Fury roll.
Then there are games where I just need anything but a 1, with 3 dice, with a reroll to beat a Dwarf hero. And then I need my opponent to just not roll 3 6s to kill off Bolg, which he does.