All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:46 am

Post subject: We came in backwards...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Somewhere in the Wild or by the Gaming Table in Imladris
We came backwards into this hobby. Whereas a lot of people start by watching the movies, then reading the books, and finally discovering the miniatures, we did it the other way round.

It all started with H. G. Wells. We found his book on wargaming, Little Wars, and we were really interested by the whole idea. (He also wrote Floor Games, which is a great method to get your kids or younger siblings into real games, and ultimately into wargaming!) Then we searched online and found GW. Wow! Those are really nice miniatures there! What are they? The Lord of the Rings. After that there was no turning back...

We then read The Lord of the Rings, and when we were finished we watched the movies. Funny, we came into the hobby not really knowing what the Lord of the Rings was! :-D

How did you guys discover the hobby?

We have the Appearance of Men, the Souls of Elves, and Behave like Dwarves.
 Post subject: Re: We came in backwards...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I always loved miniatures and building (it all came with LEGO :) ). Than when I grew up a bit I found somewhere (I think it was PC magazine) photographs of WarHammer tournament.

First all came with searching for WH miniatures and browsing the internet, but than problem came because in Montenegro nobody deal with this hobby (I am forever alone :sad: ) and I didn't know how to get the models. Montenegro didn't have PayPal at that time also.

Than I found one source from Belgrade (Serbia) for LOTR :) and my brother convinced me it is better to buy LOTR than WH, and that I will have books to read and movies to watch :D

So it began... Exactly 10 years ago.

At the beggining I had time to paint and build scenery, but now (because of the job) I am only collecting, buying, buying... buying.... With over 700 miniatures for now :) :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Although I've been a LOTR fan for a much longer time, I got into the collecting stuff some years ago. At first I collected (and customized) the toybizz 7 inch figueres, moved unto Weta and some other stuff.

Quite a few times, I saw the figueres from BGIME coming along for sale, and when someone offered some of them (I recall Elrond, Gil-Galad, Haldir, Galadriel, last allegiance elves) for sale for a cheap prize, I could not resist. So I bought some, and a few more, some painted, some unpainted, and I started painting the unpainted ones.

Then I discovered there were many more of them, and in the end, I discovered the GW website with the new Hobbit rage.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

For myself I began with the books, the movies didn't come out until I was in the fifth grade, and so I began with the books, followed by the movies.

I discovered SBG by accident, neither myself nor any of my friends played anything GW, but we all did play a game called "Mech Warrior Dark Age/ Age of Destruction" and while shopping at my favorite local store for that I spotted the SBG starter and bought one!

And the rest since elementary school is history lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I had watched the Hobbit cartoon way back in the 80's. in 1990 I was told to skip every other English class as the reading was below my level (spelling and grammar are another matter), and I was sent to the library with reading assignments and I had to do oral reports on the books I read when I reported back to class. I was told to read Fellowship of the Ring... I read them all back to back that year for class. I continued to re-read these book through my crazy years to present.

For painting models. in those 90's I was painting models for AD&D, though I didn't have anyone to show me how. I collected models for this game for many years and still do today. I did lose about 600 models at one time in a move from coast to coast.

Then one day after watching The Two Towers film with my friend who plays in my AD&D games, we went over to a shop to pick up some more characters for the game. I was looking for something specific but I no longer remember what it was, but I had decided to look in the GW section for it and came across LOTR models.

After that I pretty much spent every spare dime on LOTR models and when I finally get all the ones I want for future armies I will go back to getting creatures for AD&D. I only missed one year of this game, of course the models for FotR were easy to scoop up t that time as well as the boxed sets for discount.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The Fellowship of the Ring film was my first exposure to LotR as a whole. I was probably a little too young at the time to know exactly what was going on, but I recall my father being really rather excited that LotR was being made; as soon as the first action figures hit the shelves I to was hooked, and even at the young age of 5 I realised the film was something pretty awesome. The best part of 15 years later, and huge amouts of time and money spent on LotR-related things (films, books, figures, video games ect), and it's still my single favourite film of all time.

My first taste of wargaming came with the BGIME magazines; as I say, I was already hooked on the film by the time they came out, and as soon as I saw the advert on TV I decided I needed these! I collected every issue but the RotK special edition (already had the mini, the mag didn't bother me so much), and while in the early days I rather butchered the rules (my worst mistake was assuming you add the total of all dice in a fight, which led to heroes basically auto-winning most fights. Hooray for reading comprehension...) and didn't paint all that much, I stayed up to date with the game.

Then came 40k, and for a few years I played and collected nothing but that, before branching out into Deadzone, Infinity, and Malifaux. It was only last year, after a LotR-marathon in about October, that I decided to go and dig out my LotR minis again, and since then it's been full speed ahead on getting stuff fixed, organised and painted up to scratch. A few months later, and I have the majority of my Gondor and Rohan stuff done, most of a Mordor army and sizeable Isengard and Fallen Realms in the works. I haven't actually bought that much new stuff, as I had in the region of 300+ minis, but once this lot is done, I have grand plans for a few heavily converted Hobbit-themed armies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

DoctorW wrote:
I always loved miniatures and building (it all came with LEGO :) ). Than when I grew up a bit I found somewhere (I think it was PC magazine) photographs of WarHammer tournament.

First all came with searching for WH miniatures and browsing the internet, but than problem came because in Montenegro nobody deal with this hobby (I am forever alone :sad: ) and I didn't know how to get the models. Montenegro didn't have PayPal at that time also.

Than I found one source from Belgrade (Serbia) for LOTR :) and my brother convinced me it is better to buy LOTR than WH, and that I will have books to read and movies to watch :D

So it began... Exactly 10 years ago.

At the beggining I had time to paint and build scenery, but now (because of the job) I am only collecting, buying, buying... buying.... With over 700 miniatures for now :) :oops:

Lego. :D You can never stop building Lego. We still collect and build it occasionally!

We are also all alone. Where we live their are no LotR gamers, never mind wargamers! They are no hobby stores even! But we survive... like devout hermits in a barren desert. :sad:

Sithious wrote:
I had watched the Hobbit cartoon way back in the 80's. in 1990 I was told to skip every other English class as the reading was below my level (spelling and grammar are another matter), and I was sent to the library with reading assignments and I had to do oral reports on the books I read when I reported back to class. I was told to read Fellowship of the Ring... I read them all back to back that year for class. I continued to re-read these book through my crazy years to present.

For painting models. in those 90's I was painting models for AD&D, though I didn't have anyone to show me how. I collected models for this game for many years and still do today. I did lose about 600 models at one time in a move from coast to coast.

Then one day after watching The Two Towers film with my friend who plays in my AD&D games, we went over to a shop to pick up some more characters for the game. I was looking for something specific but I no longer remember what it was, but I had decided to look in the GW section for it and came across LOTR models.

After that I pretty much spent every spare dime on LOTR models and when I finally get all the ones I want for future armies I will go back to getting creatures for AD&D. I only missed one year of this game, of course the models for FotR were easy to scoop up t that time as well as the boxed sets for discount.

Tolkien's world is our life. Once we discovered Middle-earth, it changed everything. His books are the best! We could live without this hobby, but not without reading the books!

Question: Is it really possible to get all the miniatures you want in this hobby? :rofl:

Paradigm wrote:
The Fellowship of the Ring film was my first exposure to LotR as a whole. I was probably a little too young at the time to know exactly what was going on, but I recall my father being really rather excited that LotR was being made; as soon as the first action figures hit the shelves I to was hooked, and even at the young age of 5 I realised the film was something pretty awesome. The best part of 15 years later, and huge amouts of time and money spent on LotR-related things (films, books, figures, video games ect), and it's still my single favourite film of all time.

My first taste of wargaming came with the BGIME magazines; as I say, I was already hooked on the film by the time they came out, and as soon as I saw the advert on TV I decided I needed these! I collected every issue but the RotK special edition (already had the mini, the mag didn't bother me so much), and while in the early days I rather butchered the rules (my worst mistake was assuming you add the total of all dice in a fight, which led to heroes basically auto-winning most fights. Hooray for reading comprehension...) and didn't paint all that much, I stayed up to date with the game.

Then came 40k, and for a few years I played and collected nothing but that, before branching out into Deadzone, Infinity, and Malifaux. It was only last year, after a LotR-marathon in about October, that I decided to go and dig out my LotR minis again, and since then it's been full speed ahead on getting stuff fixed, organised and painted up to scratch. A few months later, and I have the majority of my Gondor and Rohan stuff done, most of a Mordor army and sizeable Isengard and Fallen Realms in the works. I haven't actually bought that much new stuff, as I had in the region of 300+ minis, but once this lot is done, I have grand plans for a few heavily converted Hobbit-themed armies.

Cool that your dad got you into it. It was actually our mom who found Little Wars and showed it to us. :-D

We like the first Star Wars series, The Unexpected Journey etc. but The Lord of the Rings will always be the best! The Return of the King and The Fellowship are our all time favourites.

BGIME were awesome! We would love to get our claws on them one day!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's amazing to see how different people discover the hobby and all share their passion for it! :)