All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:40 pm

Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones SBG
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:28 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I looked into obtaining a licence for an SBG from HBO Global Licencing. It's do-able, but it needs a company with a track record behind it, which I don't have (currently). I know a number of sculptors as well as an excellent caster and mould maker. Plus a good friend is the author of a popular skirmish ruleset (Flashing Steel from Ganesha Games) and soon to be two others. I'd like to see something like this come to fruition.

I am not certain, but since the Dark Sword minis aren't based on the TV series they aren't licenced through HBO. Which is good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Isilduhrr wrote:
mastermanje said he was working on a set of rules, that wouldn't be ready until 2014 at least. well, it's three days, and he has not produced. i am disappointed mastermanje, and am waiting impatiently!

A bit late with my reaction, but still... I'm building up a northerner force and a westerlands force right, which I will probably use to playtest the rules. Expect the first version of the rules within two months.
By the way, should the Lannisters wear the armor from the films or more of a medieval kind of armor?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Armour from the shows. I love the show armour and they've done a really unique job with it.

The Northmen have a no-nonsense plate and leather type of armour which suits their grim personality.
Stannis's men have maritime helmets sort of Spainish style which suits him being the Master of Ships.
The Lannisters are the richest house and have really ornate armour which shows off their wealth and pride, being lions.
The Greyjoys have marine colours and light armour perfect for raiders, contrasted with the heavier armour of Stannis's forces.
And the Unsullied, who's armour sounded absolutely stupid in the books, is transformed into a terrifying and iconic regimented look which is absolutely perfect.

Also there's obviously the unique sets of armour like Loras, Brienne, the Kingsguard and Stannis which really stand out too. I'd say it's the best visual fantasy interpretation of anything since WETA did LoTR since it's so historical and authentic whilst also not being generic, and each culture is represented differently.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

6 mounted northerners are assembled, 30 bows will be added within 2 weeks. Lannisters will take a bit longer though, will be using them WoMT models at the start I think. Work on the generals will start about one month from now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Erunion wrote:
I could see this as a WFB type game more than a skirmish-game like SBG.

I disagree. As it is a character driven story, like LotR, I think it would be much more suited for a skirmish game than mass battles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

General Elessar wrote:
Erunion wrote:

I disagree. As it is a character driven story, like LotR, I think it would be much more suited for a skirmish game than mass battles.

Yeah no one really cares about the various armies and differing topp types, just have 3 or 4 basic ones per army and having the characters duke it out with special rules and tactics is much more appealing.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dagorlad - Why does one need a company with a track record?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

DomyHill wrote:
Dagorlad - Why does one need a company with a track record?

:rofl: I will answer that one . Because artist are notoriously bad businessmen and investors are not willing to risk money on unproven people or concepts.

It is easier for an established company to get a loan. I believe 90% of start ups fail. The majority of successful businessmen would agree it would be very difficult for them to start a company in the present economy.

I would buy miniatures based on the HBO tv program if the price was right but that will be the trick.

Dagorlad wrote:
I looked into obtaining a licence for an SBG from HBO Global Licencing. It's do-able, but it needs a company with a track record behind it, which I don't have (currently)..... I'd like to see something like this come to fruition..

Me too. Best of luck if you decide to commit to it. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
Erunion wrote:

I'm with Elessar. Game of Thrones really suits a skirmish game but some way of streamlining the rules for larger massed battles would be crucial too if you want to play some of the historical battles.

Maybe some sort of mechanism that allows models to be grouped together into units/formations, allowing them to fight as a cohesive unit (like 40K or WH Fantasy), but also some sort of loose formation so models can act independently / semi-independently.

Check out SAGA by Gripping Beast/Studio Tomahawk. Its a great game, designed for skirmishes ranging from 30 models - 72 models; originally set in Dark Age Europe (Anglo Saxons, Vikings et al) but with official expansions for other periods (Late Roman/Arthurian Britannia and the First Crusade) and a whole range of unofficial/fan written expansions for Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Ancient Romans/Greeks etc, Japanese Samurai.

http://studiotomahawk.freeforums.org/index.php

Dagorlad wrote:
I looked into obtaining a licence for an SBG from HBO Global Licencing. It's do-able, but it needs a company with a track record behind it, which I don't have (currently). I know a number of sculptors as well as an excellent caster and mould maker. Plus a good friend is the author of a popular skirmish ruleset (Flashing Steel from Ganesha Games) and soon to be two others. I'd like to see something like this come to fruition.

I am not certain, but since the Dark Sword minis aren't based on the TV series they aren't licenced through HBO. Which is good.

If this is something you're seriously considering, perhaps you could pitch the idea to Darksword Miniatures? So far as I know, there are no miniature wargames associated with their Game of Thrones range.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Is there anyone who knows where I can get mini's looking like the Tyrell warriors in this thread:
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ ... es.226810/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:33 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Take a look here: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=51392.0