All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:33 am

Post subject: Anime
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just wondering what your guys stand is on anime. I personally watch a fair amount of the stuff and a lot of it is really good. There are numerous animes that have a lot of truth in them not just lets get to the next battle. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a quite good example. I re watched the first few episodes and got goosebumps numerous time because of the shocking and sad themes of the show. So yeah whats your guys experience of anime and manga too I guess.
 Post subject: Re: Anime
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Personally i have some reserved views on Anime/Manga and its effect on the people who view it , so much so when i am a parent i shall share those views with my children.

Seeing as you asked the question and i am allowed to answer it in full on this forum and you have asked my experience here it is.

Anime / Manga i believe hides a sinister nature behind its happy happy , over synthesized emotional stories and character's one many who never really see it for themselves. The allure of Reality/Virtuality. This very line is currently being blurred in Japanese culture in their relentless pursuit of this media with dangerous consequences for its population survival. Anime and Manga are communicative forms that can mess with one's perception of life due the entire " no hold's barred approach" the content can have from the seriously psychological damaging stuff that i am not allowed to speak about here but you know the sorts im sure. The other is the slightly subtle connotations running throughout a story.

That is my "experience" of anime and manga from what i have seen around me (friends) of course everyone is different to the effects of this media. There is a psychological study that shows their is a correlation with the interest of Anime and Manga and the individual becoming infantile and all the social and psychological problems that come with being infantile. One psychologist told me the damage to this uncensored content available on the internet has yet to be documented and that if he had any advice , is to avoid it unless you know what you are letting yourself in for and can moderate the effects. The key here is moderation , if you can do that using your own intelligence then by all means im sure Anime and Manga is harmless over time.

That is my full opinion and experience of Manga and Anime
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally my experience is limited to three and a half films. I have to say that I was shocked as a child by some of the ideas (of a nonsexual no violent nature) but I don't think that was bad. I recently bought Akira which is frankly a master piece and an incredible labour to have produced.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:35 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It isn't really for me - some of the stuff that I have seen is a bit too over-emotional for my tastes. My opinion would be along the same lines of RefluentMonk.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:40 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Not a fan of them. I am inclined to agree with what RefluentMonk said, I have some friends who like them but they tend to exhibit the aforementioned tendencies when they watch them a lot.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm not obsessed with anime and manga and I'm quite intelligent and not sucked in by anime and manga. Yes there are some dodgey anime and manga but some actually give people a moral leg to stand on. Watch the first 4 episode of that anime I suggested in the OP and tell me it's full of ways to implant sinister ideas. Yes of course there are very ,and I mean very, dark elements in the show but it's not like an evil Dnd campain where they spend there time indulging in evil stuff. The issues like, don't mess with human life, the cycle of life and even the nature of sin are detailed and addressed in that series.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Anyone else?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

black1blade wrote:
The issues like, don't mess with human life, the cycle of life and even the nature of sin are detailed and addressed in that series.

I've found those to be quite strong themes in some of the Manga movies I've watched and its partially why I enjoy them so much. Princess Mononoke being the most recent I've seen along those lines.

I get most of my sci-fi and fantasy kicks from Manga and Anime lately as I find their live action counter parts a bit predictable and disappointing in comparison. The only series's I've watched so far were all the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series. I haven't watched F.A.B but I'm familiar with the name, must check it out sometime.

Also, If people confuse movies, music, books or games with reality then it seems those mediums and activities are the last thing we should investigate as the cause or source of 'damage'.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:24 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I absolutely love FMA Brotherhood and Avatar (yes it's American, but it's great). The complaints about Anime shouldn't be any different from any other tv. If you're a parent, you should know what your kids are watching. Just because it's animated doesn't mean it's kid friendly, like Family Guy. Anime is nothing more than a medium, like live action or American animation. Some of them are NOT designed for kids, like Brotherhood, which has a substantial amount of blood and language in it. Lumping all anime into a single category to judge is like not letting your kids watch SpongeBob because you don't like Family Guy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Have you seen code geass Draugluin, it's a political,mecha thing going on and it has a really deep story line. In my opinion watching anime is a lot better than kids playing Cod and other violent games. People of my age group (early teen) have been playing those games since they were like 8 years old and they are really insensitive to an almost inhuman level. In most animes there's normally a positive lesson and that's much better than "shoot those people in turbans!".