All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:14 pm

Post subject: Calling All Theme Experts! (Help with Dwarves of Belegost)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys,

I am very new to this forum, but am an age old aspiration of the Tokien works.

I am looking for some help creating a theme/charter for an online role playing game (MUD). The theme is based loosely off of the Dwarves of Belegost, Telchar, the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, and the dwarf trade routes. I am great with ideas, though not so much creating the story. Here is what I would like included...

This theme is now taking place in the third age...

I would like this to be a clan with a theme based on a group of dwarven warlords, who are also traders residing in large hidden underground mansions in Belegost (We assume now it has been slightly restored). These dwarves returned back to Belegost after their lord Azaghal was slain. According to the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, these dwarves were the fiercest of them all, and non would challenge them. After Azaghal had slayed Glaurung, the dwarves carried their leader back to their homeland (Belegost). Not much else is said about these particular dwarves, so I would like these dwarves to be of a special group (Which of course we could create). These dwarves live for craftsmanship, smithy, and treasure, much like the elves of Ost-en-Edhil. They have found great value in providing valueables from the mines, their own crafts and so forth, and have made a plethora of wealth in trade. They created a hidden trading route (Does it need to be hidden at this point?) To still trade with the elves and those of Eriador/Mirkwood/Etc.

I would like these dwarves to be followers of Gamil Zirak/Telchar and live out their destiny but also Fight and slay drakes, as their great leader had been slayed by one.

Do we have any potential here? Again this is during the third age so a lot of this can be made up as long as it fits and is thematic.

Any help would be extremely appreciated!!

Gamil
 Post subject: Re: Calling All Theme Experts! (Help with Dwarves of Belegos
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Interesting! I realy like dwarf lists with stuff not described that much by tolkien. But, looking at your wishes, I've got some ideas: first of all Iron guards. They're the most shock trooper/elite thing the dwarves have as warriors. They're also known for guarding trade routes(or at least gw wants us to think it's realy true). For collors I'd advise to use as much blue as possible, I believe that fits the image of them and somewhere I guess tolkien wrote that too, but could be wrong. But, I'd also take a king's champion, as they're like the iron guard bosses and dragon slayers. Furhtermore, the vault warden shields seem kinda anti dragon like making them thematic. I'd make some model that uses the rules of gimli/dain/durin your king, dain and durin because of their leaderlike rules, gimli because he fits in the whole iron guard army idea(he wears two axes). Hope this helps you enough.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This doesn't sound like it's for the SBG or WotR games. If not I'll need to move this to the Off Topic board.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

oh wait didn't read the online roleplaying part, thought it was for an army :P. Well, then I think Wahfrog's right

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GamilZirak wrote:
... After Azaghal had slayed Glaurung, the dwarves carried their leader back to their homeland (Belegost)...

Sorry to nitpick but he only badly wounded Glaurung with his Dagger, it was Turin who slew him.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Oh sorry guys. Where can I go to get some theme help? I basically need to come up with a concept (Description above) for a guild on an online RPG. Any ideas?

Thank you
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:27 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I fully get what you mean by "theme". (Then again, I don't play online RPGs.) Are you talking colours, weapons, history, society, notable people...all of the above?

There may be some people here who can help you, but this website is mostly centered around the Games Workshop Lord of the Rings and Hobbit games, so you may be in the wrong place.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hm, I think I understand what you want. A theme for what this guild will do?

Belegost lasted into the 3rd age, it's where Thorin & co came from at the beginning of The Hobbit. It was quite a busy trading site, even attracting dwarf merchants from the other side of the Misty Mountains. Also Gandalf says "or you can go back to mining coal!" at a certain point. Maybe that gives you something to work with.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is a slight Necro here, but I think I get it, and want to help clarify for everybody who is trying to help.

First, I am not a Tolkien historian, but I am pretty sure do know what you are asking for (sort of), and may be able to help those who are historians get you what you are after.

MUDs are entirely text based MMOs that began way back in the days of dial up bulletin board services. Basically, you move around typing; n, s, e, w, u, d; read room descriptions; adventure; fight mobiles; loot gear; equip yourself as you level up; buy, trade and sell loot; and all the other fun stuff you can do in the more modern - visual MMOs that most people are more familiar with. Think of an online version of the classic text based game: Zork.

Clan's get to get together and have private chat channels, safe clan halls, and unify all its members under a common theme (and a tag at the end of their title). For instance, I am currently the leader of a clan in a MUD. When you type 'who' you see a list of all the people that are online, my entry was:

[60 - Ant] Dreadlord Mordeth, The Dark One of [Ko'Bal]

My clan (Ko'Bal) happens to be based on the Wheel of Time series. Our Clan Hall room descriptions all reflect the genre, and we roleplay the evil side. I think what he is trying to get is a unifying 'theme' for the clan to follow. What I am not sure of is what more is needed than what was in the original post.... Do you need room descriptions, name suggestions, or just for us to confirm that this sounds like a good theme you already have?

Hope this helps,

T