All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:15 am

Post subject: looking for british native speakers
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hey all,

My sister is looking for British (preferably English, but Scottish, Irish or Welsh is good aswell) native speakers who want to paricipate in a small test for her research.
So, she asked me if I wanted to post this request on this forum aswell, as we have quite a large British population down here.
Here is the full explanation:

We, Steven and Amber, are Dutch Honours students of English at the university of Groningen. We are researching very advanced second language speakers of English, who learned English in school and have continued to study it at university. We are trying to discover how closely these speakers have come to resemble native speakers of English.

To do this, we would be really grateful if you could help us. We have created a foreign accent rating experiment which contains small fragments of recordings our participants made while describing a Charlie Chaplin movie. These recordings are made by students and adults, both native and non-native speakers of English. The experiment only takes fifteen minutes and you will help us enormously by doing it.

We would like you to rate these speakers according to whether you think they are native speakers of English and how certain you are of your judgment. You can download the experiment here: http://www.filedropper.com/farexperiment. It consists of an audio file, the actual experiment, and a word file, which you can use to rate the speakers (since this file was originally made to be printed, it might in this case be easier to underline your ratings). The audio file begins with four example speakers to let you get used to what you will be listening to, these example speakers do not have to be rated.

After you have finished the experiment, please email the word file to amber2588@hotmail.com or stevengilbers@hotmail.com. If you would like to find out exactly what you contributed to, let us know and we will email you once our research has been published.

Thank you in advance and best wishes,
    Amber Nota and Steven Gilbers