All times are UTC

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:15 am

Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones - A Song of Ice and Fire
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Also, I. The last episode of season two, Jaime tells Brienne there are 3 people who could beat him, who do you reckon these people are?

His sister, Cersei. All she has to do is flash him and hes done for. :rofl: And I'm only half joking here - Jaime might not mean all 3 to be people who could literally beat him in a fight. One or more of those 3 might be people who could figuratively beat him. At this point in the story, Jaime is obsessed with Cersei. She is his life - his lover and his sister.

Arthur Dayne I think would definately beat him. Dayne was a Legendary Knight looked up to by everyone in Westeros, including Jaime and Ned Stark (who, incidentally, was the only person to survive a fight with Dayne, though he had help from Howland Reed).

And I honestly think Ned Stark could beat him in a fair fight - they are at least evenly matched in skill. Jaime might be faster, but Ned I think is stronger and of course, wiser. Ned doesn't act rashly out of arrogance - Jaime does. When the two of them come to blows, Jaime is clearly surprised that Stark can hold his own against him, and I think desperation starts to creep in.

Jaime. "I'm sure we'll have a tournament to celebrate your new title, if you accept. It'll be good to have you in the field, the competition has been a bit stale".
Ned. "I don't fight in tournaments".
Jaime. "No? Getting a little old for it?"
Ned. [chuckles] "I don't fight in tournaments, because when I fight a man for real, I don't want him to know what I can do".
Jaime. [smirks] "Well said".

Jaime had never seen Ned fight, so he had no idea what Ned was capable of. When he says there are 3 people in Westeros who could beat him, these are the 3 people who Jaime thinks could beat him. There could be a 4th, 5th etc who he hasn't considered. Heck, I think Khal Drogo could give him a run for his money (though Jaime would have the advantage of sword length, and especially armour).

Edit: after checking up on this, I've realised that my view is definately affected by the Show. Apparently the Jaime - Ned fight plays out quite differently in the show compared to the books (Ned's leg is broken by falling from his horse). I havn't read the first book in over a year (and only the once at that) so could someone who's read it more recently please remind me whether its as close a fight in the book as in the show?

And of course, in case you havn't guessed by now I'm very biased to the Starks.

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Barristan was the old knight who was fired after Robert's death, everyone revered him as the most dangerous man-at-arms in westeros. He threatened to kill Joffrey's guards when he was fired and fled.

Slightly off topic but heres a few interesting things I've learned about what Barristan did. Barristan did not flee Westeros immediately. We know from one of Jaime's POV that before leaving the city he returns to the Tower which houses the King's Guard (cannot find the name) and updated the White Book with his dismissal (the White Book was the written history of the King's Guard updated by every Lord Commander). He then killed the Gold Cloaks sent by Joffrey to assassinate him in revenge for Selmy insulting him; and left the city before discarding his equipment and returning into the city through another gate disguised as a commoner. Selmy was present in the crowd at the Sept of Baelor and witnessed Ned Stark's execution.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Telchar wrote:
GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Telchar wrote:
By the way, does anyone know a company who make models that could be used for the ordinary soldiers? (based on the movies if possible, if not, then so be it...).

WoMT, and WoR

Meh, they don't look like what you see in the movies (which I like) for one bit. But I've now settled on Perry War of the Roses for House Stark and Warlord Games Samurai for House Lannister.

Last time I checked there weren't any movies :razz:

i heard that all the guys in the different armies were pretty much the same armour in the books, (excluding the obviously different armiess of course eg Dothraki) but with different banners

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

King Ondoher wrote:
Telchar wrote:
Meh, they don't look like what you see in the movies (which I like) for one bit. But I've now settled on Perry War of the Roses for House Stark and Warlord Games Samurai for House Lannister.

Yes, I was about to suggest Perry Miniatures. Their Wars of the Roses miniatures are excellent for representing generic Westerosi troops - though conversion may be required for the Northmen as they more commonly wear leather armours, chainmail and animal furs than plate armour. Plate armour would be reserved more to the Northern nobility i.e. Knights and Lords, and they're more likely to be mounted.

Perry Miniatures also do lots of fantastic Japanese Samurai, as well as Koreans - you could get a good variety to choose from.
(...)
Gripping Beast have several historical ranges which might be suitable, particularly late Medieval (Knights in Plate armour).

Those are all metal, and I vastly prefer plastics (for reasons of cost).

The Northeners don't have (many) true knights, as those are a concept from the Faith of the Seven. Come to think of it, how come Ser Jorah Mormont (who is from the uttermost north) is a Knight then? I might sculpt some leather over them, though I'm not sure wether I'm skilled enough.

Last time I checked there weren't any movies :razz:

i heard that all the guys in the different armies were pretty much the same armour in the books, (excluding the obviously different armiess of course eg Dothraki) but with different banners

Close 'nuff.

In the books, I think you are right, but I really like the Lannister armour from the SERIES.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This sums up A Song of Ice and Fire quite wwell I think. :-D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

LOL!

So far I've refrained from watching the show. I know it's supposed to be good, I just hate waiting for the next episode. Besides, I can't imagine they do justice to the books.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
LOL!

So far I've refrained from watching the show. I know it's supposed to be good, I just hate waiting for the next episode. Besides, I can't imagine they do justice to the books.

They do, its just that they have to heavily condense the material. Theres a lot of stuff that has to be left out, or simplified for the simple fact that they couldn't possibly film everything. Its like with LotR, it would have been unfilmable if adapted literally. The White Walkers are amazing, and a heck of a lot more intimidating than they're described in the books. Peter Dinklage Tyrion is fantastic (probably the best actor) , as are most of the main characters. Sean Bean is a walking spoiler as always.

Although they have made some questionable decisions, like inventing a new character called 'Ros', and conveniently made her a prostitute so she gets to encounter (and of course screw) a considerable number of the main characters (Theon, Tyrion, Littlefinger who hires her for his brothel, Varys who hires her as a spy, and Joffrey who instead of screwing her like he's supposed to just points a crossbow at her and makes her beat another girl to death). As an original character, she gets lots of screentime and important exposition.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Does anyone else find it annoying in the 4th book onwards that instead of naming the chapters after the characters actual names, Martin's started using a variety of different titles, pseudenims and guises instead?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Does anyone else find it annoying in the 4th book onwards that instead of naming the chapters after the characters actual names, Martin's started using a variety of different titles, pseudenims and guises instead?

Mildly so, yes, as it puzzled me in the beginning, but after a while you just don't look at them anymore.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Telchar wrote:

Mildly so, yes, as it puzzled me in the beginning, but after a while you just don't look at them anymore.

Yes, in the 5th one it does make sense though as 2 p.o.v. characters have the same first name.