All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 pm

Post subject: The Hunt for Gollum on DVD???
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Is there any way to obtain a copy of The Hunt for Gollum on DVD that will play in my DVD player?
 Post subject: Re: The Hunt for Gollum on DVD???
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

No, not allowed due to copyright issues

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I know that they aren't allowed to sell a DVD, but I'm wondering is there any way to download the movie and convert it to a format that will play on a DVD player.
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:04 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There is illegal software out there for pulling off YouTube videos. I haven't used any personally as it is technically stealing. Is there a reason why you can't view the Online film? Why do you need a DVD format?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There is no 'need' really. I just really like it and would like to be able to put a copy of it on my shelf with my LOTR and Hobbit DVDs.

Considering the film can be viewed online for free, and it would be for my own personal use, I can't see why it would be illegal?
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:24 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I mean it is illegal to pull off videos from YouTube as you are not the owner of the material. That is why you can't do it unless you have specifically designed software

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As far as I know, it is perfectly legal to use any of the many youtube downloaders out there to get a video off of You Tube. You tube doesn't own the video's, they became public use when uploaded (hence many people share them or re load them to their own channels). If you do not have the rights to the footage you upload then You tube or the owner of the rights can have it taken down, but if the video is up there with no complaints or legal issues, then anyone can share it, down load it, or even get a Wi-Fi blue ray/dvd player and watch you tube on you player anytime on your TV.

Now YouTube has terms where they say you cannot download a video unless in the content or on the channel it gives permission to do so. This is their law back door policy so they cannot get sued if some person tries to say YouTube gave away their property. You tube is kind of stepping back and saying "we didn't put it on the site, and we didn't let anyone down load it, all of that was done third party." But if Tolkien Enterprizes wanted to sue the makers of "search for Gollum" then it would be taken down and the law suit presented already. Since the video is up, then there is nothing stopping a person from using a youtube downloader to get it.

If someone put up a Super Bowl game and You tube didn't catch it or if they uploaded a copy righted film, those are the things You tube tries to stop you from doing, but that is why they have the no download statement. They want a way to wash their hands if some big $ company's stuff gets stolen via you tube, not peoples private home movies and rookie productions.