PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Absolutley Tom Bombadil...[/code]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:35 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Moving around quotes form the Marshals to Théoden, having Éomer kicked out of Rohan so that he could replace Erkenbrand, ignoring the Grey Company and Halbarad completely, as well as every single fiefdom of Gondor. After re-reading the books, what PJ did away with is scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Farmer Giles of Ham wrote:
Absolutley Tom Bombadil...[/code]

I disagree. He wasn't an essential character in the books, and he would have been quite difficult to portray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I missed the Barrow Downs and the Old Forest, but I don't think Bombadil would have been easy to portray in the film. I also missed the inclusion of the Grey Company.

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

the Scouring of the shire it was my favourite chapter of all the books
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was really bummed when they cut Glorfindel out of the race for Rivendell scene. I know Mr. Jackson wanted to flesh out the relationship between Arwen and Aragorn a bit, but I was sad to see it came at the expense of the big guy himself. I mean he survived a duel with a balrog (sort of), but he didn't survive the screen writers' pens.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would have preferred if Narsil was reforged in Rivendell before the fellowship left. I don't like the way it was done in RotK.

I can understand why most parts were omitted (time being the most important), and although I personally wouldn't have minded a 6 movie series, this would have probably lost the franchise a lot of popularity/money.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

emperor_thompson wrote:
I would have preferred if Narsil was reforged in Rivendell before the fellowship left. I don't like the way it was done in RotK.

Yeah, but you can understand why PJ changed it.

On the subject of Aragorn, I wish he had a been a bit tougher. And they could of left out the whole **** thing about the Evenstar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I loved the scouring of the Shire in the book, but really can't think of any way that could have worked in the film. It is just too many structural problems, what with coming as it does after the main climax of the story. To me, not having Aragorn claim Narsil until RotK makes more narrative sense than having it come so early at Rivendell. Glorfindel is cool, but he's really only appears in a very few pages (during a recent re-read I was surprised to see how little time he gets).

I would have liked to see more of Denethor, especially with his palantir (which is obliquely alluded to in the film-- "do you think that the eyes of the White Tower are blind?" a great line which could have set up a scene with the seeing-stone). I'd be happy to if he weren't quite such a villain, and a little more sympathetic, although I love John Noble's performance (I always get a kick out of his delivery of: "I know Faramir's uses and they are few").

That would have been awesome to have 6 films, one for each "volume." Then they could have certainly included Tom, the scouring, etc. It still may not have worked as well as what we got in 3, however.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Finli O'Tengo wrote:
That would have been awesome to have 6 films, one for each "volume." Then they could have certainly included Tom, the scouring, etc. It still may not have worked as well as what we got in 3, however.
Well, the extended editions are pretty much 6 films - each one is on two disks, the shortest of which is two hours. There really isn't much more that could be squeezed in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

flight to rivendell is realy bad part of movie. arwen with frodo on horse. book's there much better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I missed the scouring of the shire to. I also wish they would have shown the wild men and the rangers going into the paths of the dead in ROTK.

Last edited by Warlord777 on Fri May 14, 2010 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Warlord777 wrote:
I missed the scouring of the shire to. I also wish they would have shown the wild men and the rangers in ROTK

Interesting. I was never that fond of Ghan-Buri-Ghan and co.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Captain Ingold wrote:
Moving around quotes form the Marshals to Théoden, having Éomer kicked out of Rohan so that he could replace Erkenbrand, ignoring the Grey Company and Halbarad completely, as well as every single fiefdom of Gondor. After re-reading the books, what PJ did away with is scary.

And all of the things he did were necessary and brilliant from the stand point of a film. The films would have failed had a less bold director made them and left in half the stuff that was removed, the Scouring of the Shire in particular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GodlessM wrote:
Captain Ingold wrote:

And all of the things he did were necessary and brilliant from the stand point of a film. The films would have failed had a less bold director made them and left in half the stuff that was removed, the Scouring of the Shire in particular.

Why would they have failed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

General Elessar wrote:
GodlessM wrote:
Captain Ingold wrote:

They'd of been far too long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Not just too long, but the audience would have gotten lost and bored at stages. In addition, there would have been too many endings in The Two Towers and Return of the King.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Biggest gripe for me was the way they changed things to suit, Glorfindel for Arwen, the fight in Balin's tomb where the cave troll gets into the tomb, in the book the troll is stabbed before and doesn't enter Frodo is downed by a spear from an Orc/ Goblin (sketchy on this haven't read the book for a while. Sam is left out of the Galadriel's mirror scene and Frodo is expressly told not to touch the water.
Bilbo is not present at the Council of Elrond "I can see this is where it is going silly old Bilbo started this mess and silly old Bilbo will have to finish it" or something like that.
The whole business of Aragorn not wanting to take the kingship of Gondor and the fact that the sword was reforged after they left.
Elven rope was given to Sam at the parting of ways not seen at the cinema when we get to RotK there Sam has Elven rope.
the Barrow downs and the Barrow Wights quite a big chunk that, Tom Bombadil and Goldberry which is where the hobbits actually get stuck in the trees (again sketchy memory on the last bit).
Frodo's defiant speech to the Wringraiths at the Ford of Bruinen "you shall neither me or the ring"
I could go on but that is enough to get my hackles up.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sharkai wrote:
General Elessar wrote:
GodlessM wrote:
Captain Ingold wrote:

They'd of been far too long.

Make six films then, one for each book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

with the extended edition it is almost like six films because if i remember it right none of the parts last longer then two hours and it`s six parts