All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:47 am

Post subject: Question on Custom units
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all!

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but I was curious if anyone knows of some customer rulesets / stats for non-traditional LotR models?

I have a fair amount of GW models, such as skeletons, Stormcasts, Lizards, etc, and was curious if there was any custom stats for these guys that anyone knows about, like something from one-shots or whatever?

While I know it is super non-lore friendly, I always thought it would be kinda cool to be able to use these models with these gameplay rules.

thanks!
 Post subject: Re: Question on Custom units
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Maybe it would be better to ask my question in a different way, especially now as I have built a better understanding of MESBG?

I have several armies from AoS and runewars. Specifically Stormcast, Lizardmen, Nighthaunt, Lumineth, Runewars humans, elves and skeletons.

Nighthaunt I figure can be played similarly to Warriors of the Dead. What them being ghosts and all.

Lumineth and Runewar elves line up nicely with ME elves. Same as Runewars humans.

However, my Stormcast, Lizards and Skeletons don't have a real place. If you were going to use them in MESBG, what units do you think makes the most sense to model them after? I have convinced a few buddies to make the switch MESBg and Frostgrave, and really would like to find a way to keep using these models for both games.

Any advice from vets of this game would be most appreciated!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:35 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'll take a stab at this one.

It seems to me that, rather than base custom profiles off of similar armies (elves to Lumineth: Dead to Nighthaut), the best thing to do would be to start with the basic human profile of a warrior of Rohan (minus the Def gained from the armor) and the basic human from AOS. The see how the two are alike, strength to strength, toughness to defense etc. Once that's done, look at how the AOS profile of each other unit is different from the basic human and try to convert that different into a profile that is relative to an SBG human in the same way.

I couldn't find any profiles for anything from AOS so this is just a guess on my part but, I'll try to demonstrate with a hypothetical AOS skeleton. It would be something like Mov 6 F/S 2/- Str. 3 Def. 3 Atk. 1 W. 1 C 1. The skeleton would be the same movement speed as a human, a worse fighter, the same strength, the same defense, the same attack, have the same number of wounds and have a much lower courage value. Of course it would the be pretty cheap to field, maybe 4 points base with the option to buy a spear or a shield and to swap it's sword for a mace.

The tricky part comes with adding in special rules. There isn't anything in SBG the represents the necromancers bond to its undead thralls or the ability to resurrect slain models to a unit (since each model is a single unit in itself). Custom special rules would need to be made to represent something like that. Probably a rule that makes the skeleton take a courage test to flee the field (ie fall apart) if a model with the necromancer keyword wasn't within a given range of it, but an auto pass for all other courage tests it may be required to take at all times. Then a rule that is basically gives a fury save for the skeleton when it takes a wound.

You'd have to do something like that for each model you want to play. I certainly think it could be done though. The only thing I see causing a problem is when things start to scale out of what's possible to have in the SBG system. Like, things like slann, mortarchs, or greater demons just would be to crazy to deal with. So, my advise is to stick to basic troops, generic heroes, and small skirmishes to get the most fun out of something of this sort.

Hope that helps somewhat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That def does help with formulating a nice base.

I appreciate your response!