All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:56 pm

Post subject: Shouldn't "Gundabad Orcs" be called Moria Orcs?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This always confused me. AFAIK, in the movies, the origin of the orcs isn't directly specified, however Gandalf says that he saw "Moria Orcs" in Dol Guldur (I think this was when he leaves Radagast to warn the dwarves & elves shortly after they defeated the Necromancer).

So I assume the orcs in Azog's army are Moria orcs, while the orcs in Bolg's army, which later arrives, are the actual Gundabad orcs. I'm also not sure about the origin of the other species in the evil armies.
 Post subject: Re: Shouldn't "Gundabad Orcs" be called Moria Orcs?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I checked the clip and you are right about Gandalf calling the orcs in Dol Guldur Moria orcs. It might very well have once been the film makers intent to have some visual distinction between the armies that cut during the course of filming. It is also possible that the line is a reference to Azog's role in the books when he was a in Moria himself and led an army of orcs at Moria. I think the most logical explanation is that Gundabad orc is just a name for the great orcs of the Misty Mountains and that the Moria line was through in as both a reference to Azog in the books and a way to explain way to make the vast numbers of orcs show seem more believable to the viewers. There is certainly no reason to suspect that the orcs from either Moria or Gundabad were separate sub-species of orc in their own right. But I suppose that a distinction between them could be drawn for some purposes like painting battle flags or something.

As for the wargs, trolls, ogres , and bats...I guess they came from whatever place each army came from but that means they could have been native to anywhere in the Misty or Grey Mountains really.

Post subject: Re: Shouldn't "Gundabad Orcs" be called Moria Orcs?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
I checked the clip and you are right about Gandalf calling the orcs in Dol Guldur Moria orcs. It might very well have once been the film makers intent to have some visual distinction between the armies that cut during the course of filming. It is also possible that the line is a reference to Azog's role in the books when he was a in Moria himself and led an army of orcs at Moria. I think the most logical explanation is that Gundabad orc is just a name for the great orcs of the Misty Mountains and that the Moria line was through in as both a reference to Azog in the books and a way to explain way to make the vast numbers of orcs show seem more believable to the viewers. There is certainly no reason to suspect that the orcs from either Moria or Gundabad were separate sub-species of orc in their own right. But I suppose that a distinction between them could be drawn for some purposes like painting battle flags or something.

As for the wargs, trolls, ogres , and bats...I guess they came from whatever place each army came from but that means they could have been native to anywhere in the Misty or Grey Mountains really.

I mean, they both live in the same mountain range. They could be closely related for all we know. Gundabad Orcs could have gone South and evolved for cave life. Who knows?