All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

Post subject: New Angmar orc profile in the works?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I didn't think there was enough to substantiate this to put it in the news and rumors section. I was thumbing through my BC book and I noticed this little tidbit in the Angmar company "An Angmar Orc is exactly the same as a Mordor Orc in terms of profile; the only difference is the name...for now."

Do you think this means we'll get a new profile for them in the new rules due out sometime this year?

I personally would love to see Angmar get a bit of variety added to the list (with all their troop choices being available to other lists and so few of them). It would be nice to see Werewolves and Men of Carn Dum from WOTR in there as well if Angmar does get spruced up.

Conversely this all could be baseless speculation, but I'd like to hear what you all think.
 Post subject: Re: New Angmar orc profile in the works?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There's certainly something in the works, but it remains to be seen when it'll be released (and indeed what it will be).
We know a new edition of the rules is to be released later this year and an upcoming expansion will focus on Pelennor Fields and Osgiliath. Neither of those have any reason to feature Angmar Orcs, yet their presence in the Battle Companies book does suggest that within the studio, fairly established plans exist beyond the scope of the expansion.
The book also has "Uruk-hai bows" in the wargear section, which aren't currently a thing. Although possibly also used by Mordor Uruk-hai (which have had the option of bows for ages, perhaps they'll get models to go with them) my initial thought was certainly on Isengard's Scouts. Again, these have no reason to feature in the known expansion, so yet more proof there is more going on than just Osgiliath and Pelennor Fields.

One idea was that the LotR range would be slowly updated over the course of many years, releasing supplements that revise profiles and points values while also including a few new ones and accompanying models. It wouldn't surprise me if instead we get a pretty major overhaul of the entire existing range of profiles with the new edition, alongside a new book with scenarios and new profiles. It would explain why several very different profiles are being worked on, and would be a good place to immediately give all armies their 'pure army' bonuses.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hmmm, nice catch on the Uruk-Hai bows, I missed those. My first thought was also Isengard scouts. Also it would stand to reason that there would not be any reason why Angmar orcs would be at Pelennor or Osgiliath, so perhaps you are right that updated profiles and army bonuses will be released alongside of the Pelennor focus. I certainly wouldn't complain.

I wonder if the plan for focus on Pelennor/ Osgiliath has to do with no new models being needed to represent those battles (well barring some decent Black Numenoreans, but that's just personal bias). That way they could turn out the scenarios and people would already have everything available to them.

I would love to see some new LOTR supplements and an occasional new model over time. I'm not really a fan of the visual design of The Hobbit, so it would be nice for Forgeworld to give me an excuse to spend some money.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I imagine the Pelennor/Osgiliath expansion will at the very least be a good excuse to re-release a bunch of out-of-production models, although I'm also expecting a few new ones. Would be fairly surprised if a Pelennor supplement wouldn't include an Elfhelm profile and hopefully some additional Fiefdoms for example. Not necessarily a huge range of models to accompany them; as you say most are already available. Oh, and an actual profile for 'Skully' the Morannon Orc captain of course.

As I'm also not a huge fan of most of the Hobbit designs (I like the Mirkwood Elves, but that's about it), I too look forward to seeing a return to the LotR aesthetic. In addition, it will be very interesting to see what kind of designs the new team will come up with when creating their own designs for things like the Angmar orcs, or perhaps those further Fiefdoms if they ever see the light of day.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think you are probably right, and I'd love to see a lot of those hard to find models come back into production, even if only for a while. It would be nice to see some expansion to the Fiefdoms, they don't have a lot of options at the moment (and the models that they do have are quite nice in my opinion, so I'd love to see some more in their style). Skully definitely needs a profile, I have him sitting on his metal sprue on my work desk, and it seemed strange to me thumbing through the Mordor book a bit odd he was excluded.

I think the only models I really enjoyed are (like you) the Mirkwood Elves, the Spiders and the Fell Wargs (and to some extent the Gundabad Orcs) from The Hobbit range. I'd love to see some new Fiefdoms stuff, I think Angmar can probably get away with the current Orc models (but I'd not complain to see some new ones). I'd love to see them expand into a "The North" range, and expand Arnor a bit (also a good excuse to rerelease their current models), add werewolves and evil men to Angmar, maybe a hill troll model or two, and some new hobbit stuff. But that's all just wishful thinking and probably much down the road if they do decide to do something like that.