All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 pm

Post subject: What's your dream army?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey all, I've gotten back into things recently and have spent some time tallying up what I've got and seeing how big I want to grow each army. I'm wondering about everyone else's dream collection, within reason. As much as I'd love to say I have 6,000 spears to send to Sundlending I doubt I'd ever get through painting even a fraction of that number! Using the example of Rohan, here's my "fantasy" Rohan list at 3500 points:

Theoden, King of Rohan on armoured horseback with heavy armour and shield – 90pts
Theodred, Prince of Rohan on horseback – 80pts
Eomer, Third Marshal of Rohan on horseback with shield and throwing spears – 95pts
Eowyn, Shield Maiden of Rohan on horseback with armour, shield and throwing spears – 51pts
Deorwine (1), Captain of the King’s Guard on horseback with heavy armour and shield – 65pts
Erkenbrand, Lord of Westfold on horseback – 75pts
Elfhelm (2), Marshal of Eastmark on horseback with heavy armour and shield – 65pts
Grimbold, Thane of Grimslade – 55pts
Hama, Doorward to Edoras – 50pts
Gamling, Lieutenant of Westfold – 50pts
Eothain (3), Lieutentant of Aldburg on horseback with shield and throwing spears – 65pts
Dunhere (4), Lord of Harrowdale with heavy armour, shield and throwing spears – 60pts
Harding (5), Thane of Harwick with heavy armour – 50pts
Fastred (6), Thane of Snowbourne on horseback with heavy armour, throwing spears and shield – 70pts
Branding (7), Marshal of Fenmark with heavy armour and shield – 55pts
Ceorl (8), Outrider of Rohan on horseback with shield – 60pts

20 Riders of Rohan – 260pts
21 Riders of Rohan with throwing spears – 315pts
3 Riders of Rohan with banner – 114pts
1 Rider of Rohan with warhorn – 33pts
7 Westfold Redshields – 98pts
5 Westfold Redshields with throwing spears – 80pts
8 Rohan Outriders on horseback – 104pts
6 Rohan Royal Guard on horseback – 96pts
12 Rohan Royal Guard on horseback with throwing spears – 216pts
Rohan Royal Guard on horseback with banner – 41pts
12 Sons of Eorl – 264pts
22 Warriors of Rohan with shield – 154pts
22 Warriors of Rohan with shield and throwing spears – 198pts
23 Warriors of Rohan with bow – 161pts
3 Warriors of Rohan with banner – 93pts
8 Helmingas with shield – 64pts
4 Helmingas with shield and throwing spears – 40pts
6 Rohan Royal Guard – 60pts
6 Rohan Royal Guard with throwing spears – 72pts

206 models, 35 Might. 3499 points total.

Now, with that one I am 55 models away from my goal and I have 17 of those en route. It's actually in reach, I just need to wait patiently for Rohan Royal Guard and Sons of Eorl to come back in stock at GW Canada!

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject: Re: What's your dream army?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Impressive!

My dream army would be any army I have already boxed but then fully painted... It makes me sad I have too many unloved figures that deserve the attention.

But going just by looks I'd say from all factions I think a full Rohan army would be really, really, really the coolest to see. If what you listed up there is all painted you should deffo share a picture!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sephalo wrote:
Impressive!

My dream army would be any army I have already boxed but then fully painted... It makes me sad I have too many unloved figures that deserve the attention.

But going just by looks I'd say from all factions I think a full Rohan army would be really, really, really the coolest to see. If what you listed up there is all painted you should deffo share a picture!

Nah, I've got about 1/3 of it painted. In November I finished Eowyn on horse, a Son of Eorl, 12 Warriors, 12 Riders and 2 Royal Guard. That was enough for a bit, I needed a break from Rohan. Currently I'm painting Easterlings and I just got the last model I need to have all 1600 points. As the manager of my GW said when I told him "Holy Devlan Mud that's a LOT of Easterlings!" :-D

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Smaug.

Seriously, I'd love to have more Haradrim. Harad is the army I would field for War of the Ring. You can paint them so many different ways. They were my first models and I still really love that army. I've painted several subtribes in different colours and could do still more. I'd love to have 3 mumaks and more of the Far Haradrim. I'd also like a few more of the old raiders and a box or 2 of the new ones. I really like the Sudanese from Fireforge games and want to use them for standard warriors in Karna. Currently, they are allied with Easterlings, of who I have tonnes of.

Good army? Probably the new high elves from a 3rd party manufacturer. I absolutely adore those sculpts. So much more dynamic than the old ones, though the old ones look really great en mass in movement trays. The Lothlorien elves were so much fun to paint I could certainly do the Battle Company GW has for sale again. High elves would be my WotR army, since I do have lots of the old ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am lucky enough to own most of my dream armies (Rivendell and Minas Tirith), although I often dream up new armies (as I'm sure many do) and expanding those I do own... I do dream of getting them all painted to a standard I can be proud of. One army that has crossed my mine for a while would be an Easterling battle line and painting black dragons in the style of the mass effect dragon age armour; just an idea for now.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I don't really want huge armies. I just want to have a decent collection of each faction along with associated terrain so I can fight thematic battles. It's all about creating a tabletop narrative for me.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies