All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:05 pm

Post subject: A theory on Thranduil's wife
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:27 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Notes: sorry if this is in the wrong place, and this does have influence from the Jackson films.

So, I came up with theory after doing a little reading and watching the hobbit again. Thranduil's wife is supposed to have died in the north. Now, when is the north mentioned elsewhere in the three movies?

"Do not talk to me of dragon fire! I know its wrath and ruin. I have faced the Great Serpents of the North! [Reveals severe burns on his face] I warned your grandfather of what his greed would summon...but he would not listen." (Desolation of Smaug)

So, imagine why he would have such a reluctance to confront a dragon, and why he would have those scars. it almost looks like he may have entered the fire of a dragon for something, or in this case, someone. Someone who ended up dying.

Sorry, this popped into my head and I had to share. Any ideas or opinions?

Post subject: Re: A theory on Thranduil's wife
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They confirmed that she died fighting Angmar, which in the books at least didn't have any dragon allies.

Post subject: Re: A theory on Thranduil's wife
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, in his Moria sourcebook for the Decipher Lord of the Rings RPG range, Chris Seeman (a noted Tolkien scholar) came up with a mid third age conflict between the Dwarves and Dragons. In the actual canon, we know the Dwarves lost at least two of their great holds to dragons; Seeman imagines more, as a centuries long trauma were dwarven homes were either captured or reclaimed from the Dwarves.

The story of Fram and Scatha, for example, would date from this era. The Fram and Scatha story shows the Dwarves losing a home in the Grey Mountains, and then the Dwarves coming to blows with potential allies in the aftermath, a story that involves dragonslaying and outright murder. One can easily imagine the Elves of Mirkwood having to march to war to deal with the aftermath of another one of these dragon invasions, and such an act eventually causing a lot of bad blood between Dwarf and Elf - not to mention a horribly scarred king of Mirkwood and a lost wife.