All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:13 pm

Post subject: Warriors of Dale
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My local game store put their remaining Hobbit miniatures on their discount table and I managed to get two boxes of the Warriors of Dale and a Captain for basically $3 more than if I had bought a box of Warriors from GW. (also got a Captain of Erebor for $6!)

For now they will go the ever growing pile of unpainted figures but my question is, what to do with them?

When I paint figures, I like to imagine a scenario they would be in or what terrain to build for them. For the Warriors of Dale though, I am stumped.

GW states "When not protecting their homeland, these men can be seen on ships bound for distant wars." Ships down the Celduin to the Sea of Rhun? I don't have any Easterlings and don't plan to get any. I have Harad but those are too far south. So a river boat or barge for them to be on? Or have them protecting an overland convoy?

Just have them fighting orcs?

If I convert some to horn blower and banner - does the banner have the black arrow and make them post Smaugh or what would be on the City of Dale banner?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Warriors of Dale
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm using mine as Lake-Town guards, if that helps make up your mind. Just don't put the shields on, take off the spike and paint accordingly. They don't look quite as good as the actual guard models, but they are so much cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think they could be fun to use as the army of the rebuilt Dale after the events of the Hobbit led by Bard. That way you could have them chasing down any orcs remaining in the area after the Hobbit or fighting against some of the force sin skirmishes from the War of the Ring.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:28 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

According to the designers, the symbol of Dale is birds. This was chosen in association with Erebor and to differentiate them from Rohan. The designers chose to go with a raptor (hawk) motif, which can be seen on their breastplates. A most beautiful banner design would be Girion's crest, pictured on pg 101 of the "Hobbit: Bo5A Chronicles: Art and Design" book. It's two hawks, breasts out, wings and tails touching and a star in an almost elven design in the middle. Detailed, but beautiful.

The book has pages upon pages of inspirational art. Clothing, prototypes and architecture abound, along with comments. A great gift idea, seeing as Christmas is just around the corner...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin - I thought about taking off the points on the helmets, even thought about swapping heads with some other force but realized that removing the heads would be too much effort for too little result. Do like the thought of making them Laketown though.

Dr Grant - I'm tending to think I will have them post hobbit, pre war of the ring. Unless of course I end up buying an Easterling Army.

GreatKhanArtist - thanks for the info on the Dale Banner, I do have that book on my Christmas list. :)