All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:10 pm

Post subject: Realms of battle board quick review
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I caved and bought a battle board. 6 2x2 squares made from citadel's grey plastic. Enough terrain variation to make one big central hill or a canyon-esque set up. Whatever configure you use, there are small clips one can place on the bottom to hold your configuration in place. There are 30 some odd clips which will last a long time. Unlike most terrain made by citadel, these boards are not hollow on the underside, they are reinforced with plastic "buttresses" so it can withstand the weight of a full grown person. I cant abide the pit of skulls on one of the squares of the board, I will most likely fill those in with green stuff, but that is neither here nor there.

I picked it up for $290 USD, which is expensive, however as I am both a role player and a war gamer I know I will get my money's worth out of it. Yes, I could have made my own board, but I don't have the time right now and I didn't want to wait until I had the time. I wanted a game board.

Oh, it also came with a carrying bag for the board which makes it very easy to store and transport. At the end of the day despite the cost, I am very excited about this purchase.
 Post subject: Re: Realms of battle board quick review
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A few questions about it:

1) Is it easy to paint and add terrain to?
2) Could it be placed on carpet or wood floor easily?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Spike117, I don't own one, but I used to work at a GW a couple years ago. It's a really good board. Obviously the parts make it relatively modular. I would say the only real downside is the copious amounts of skulls in little crevices and cracks throughout the board. I know if I ever were to get one I'd greenstuff those suckers closed. It's hard plastic so it's super easy to paint. It can be placed on wood flooring pretty easily, but I'd recommend putting something under it just in case.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Coldhatred wrote:
Spike117, I don't own one, but I used to work at a GW a couple years ago. It's a really good board. Obviously the parts make it relatively modular. I would say the only real downside is the copious amounts of skulls in little crevices and cracks throughout the board. I know if I ever were to get one I'd greenstuff those suckers closed. It's hard plastic so it's super easy to paint. It can be placed on wood flooring pretty easily, but I'd recommend putting something under it just in case.

So would you use actual Green Stuff or the liquid paint?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actual green stuff. These are deep pits.

I just finished painting mine 2 days ago. I spray primed it black (2 cans of krylon) then sprayed my base color down (2 cans of krylon khaki). From there i used acrylic craft paints and added grey for the stones and a home made wash of burnt sienne across the whole thing, then added a highlight of antique white (roughly the equivalent of bleached bone).

I ended up leaving the skulls. I didnt have the time to fill it in with green stuff. Like i said, i am super pressed for time right now. Master's degrees will do that too you.

Adding modular terrain is very easy, just set it onto the board.

Last edited by jdizzy001 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Attachment:
image.jpg
Here is a photo. All in all i think it took 7 hours to paint in about 4 sessions.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.