All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:32 am

Post subject: Staying motivated
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Afternoon all

As you may know I haven't been properly 'around', so to speak, for ages. I kinda struggle to stay motivated for anything more than a few hours a week at the very most. Tbh I've been more into painting paper than models recently.
So I was wondering, how do you lot stay motivated?

Post subject: Re: Staying motivated
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This place and the GBHL do a great job of keeping me motivated. I read the Lotr books quite a bit too. My son has been reading the Hobbit to me on an evening which has helped keep me in the middle earth mindset.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

the motivation comes from here. seeing al those wip threads and barrage of well painted miniatures, inspring conversions and other projects is what keeps me going..and project hopping..
and the occasional viewing of the 5 movies on blu ray..till the last one comes out also helps, the soundtrack whilst painting also does the trick.
but most of all its the people here and there inspiring work.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

There are many ways to get motivated. I too get the feeling pretty often that i am bored or cant keep up to my projects but there are ways to get back in track.

1-music (now thats up to you on what to listen and your music taste but listening makes you forget the feeling of time and so you can keep on painting/ working for hours.
2-have movies that you have already watched play in the backround, especially lotr!
No need to watch them, just keep listening as your memory goes on with the scenes.
3-Set goals. If you encounter the problem that after painting a mini you feel bored to move to the next one. Try setting goals at the beginning of a project. For example you are up in the mood to paint elves, dont pick one and starting painting and pick another one and so on. Try to set a goal like ''This week i will paint these 5 specific elves'' Your mind keeps on thinking your goal and wont let you easily stop at 3 or 4 :)
4-Post your work in sites like this one, there is no better thing than to get feedback for your work even if its not the one you want to hear. Another glorious point to this hobby is that everyone, even if they dont like the result you are posting will simple give an advice in a friendly way, always keep that advice :)
5- Experiment as much as you can to personalize your armies. Try giving a unique touch to your painting and you will feel more motivated when working on a unique project.

I hope thats helpful.

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

I basecoat the entire army, then do them in chunks of around 4. Right now I'm finishing Easterlings, so it goes: swordsman, archer, spearman, horseman. I prefer to do the horses in batches too. Every once in a while I do a unique, such as a hero or banner.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

When I feel unmotivated with the hobby I just concentrate on something else.Try new things, improve some of your professional skills... The less time you actually have to spend on this hobby the more you appreciate it.

Visit my WIP!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Got to agree with the above post.

I like to read the books - Children of Hurin is great.
I also like to make profiles, it probably annoys everyone but i like the ink im helpful and it allows me to be creative.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It's tough for me. Look at me now - online instead of painting what's on my desk!

I find inspiration strikes at odd times though. Winter has always been my "modelling season" where Summer was my "card gaming season," why I have no clue. That just seems to be how it goes. Hopefully I'll be able to pull the finger out this summer and get some painting done!

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My number one rule is: "Don't force it!". I like to keep this as a hobby. And as such, if I don't feel motivated to do anything, I won't force myself to do anything. I have other interests that I can spend my time on. I find that inspiration comes when I look at other's work mostly. Or, if I get an idea for a new army I want to try out. I find that I will spend all my free time modelling for a while, sometimes a few weeks, and then I will suddenly not be interested, and I will take some time off.

In the end, it is a hobby. Don't make it a chore to model! If you want to model, but don't know where to start, then you need to look for inspiration.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This might help some people:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p4gaq4nesnbf ... i1f8a?dl=0

Certainly good for ideas anyway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Golly that's a lot of replies! Thanks for the ideas all, I'll try them out and see if anything sticks. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I tend to flit around painting different things. Sometimes I am in the mood for troops, sometimes heroes, then it will be monsters and then maybe a bit of terrain. This can mean it takes a while to get a army finished if you are starting it from scratch though.

http://journeyofthering.wordpress.com
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

honestly, I'm not really motivated. Right now, there is no one to play SBG with. I even went to comic book store who used to sell this stuff, and I've been told that nobody came to buy anything in years. There was not a single hobbit product in there. There were only 5 players, including me and my brother (who isn't exactly a die hard fan). Two of them moved away and the last one is like my brother: not really into it, more lukewarm to it. That basically means I have nobody to play with.
I would have love to start a club here, but I'm basically alone.

Right now, the only thing that pushes me is to repaint all those models which I painted HORRIBLY in the past. Now they look way better.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'm always motivated with painting to be honest, but i paint an assortment of things not just LOTR/Hobbit. I paint Bolt Action figures and Vehicles, Tamiya models Planes/Cars, F1 Cars/Tanks. I find it improves my painting by changing the subject matter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dikey wrote:
honestly, I'm not really motivated. Right now, there is no one to play SBG with. I even went to comic book store who used to sell this stuff, and I've been told that nobody came to buy anything in years. There was not a single hobbit product in there. There were only 5 players, including me and my brother (who isn't exactly a die hard fan). Two of them moved away and the last one is like my brother: not really into it, more lukewarm to it. That basically means I have nobody to play with.
I would have love to start a club here, but I'm basically alone.

Right now, the only thing that pushes me is to repaint all those models which I painted HORRIBLY in the past. Now they look way better.

Time to infiltrate another system then. Find out what is popular and see what they are about. Make the sacrifice and get into that system and start playing, who knows you may even like it. Then you can take some of those players and talk to them about playing a session of your game. sort of throw it out there. "Hey guys, I was thinking of playing a couple of skirmish matches next week with my SBG figures, anyone interested, I can supply _______ for an army." Who knows, maybe they will be willing to play at no cost to them except the couple hours of rolling dice. Then maybe you can spark another game or regular game and start convincing them to buy an army or two from ebay or where ever.