All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:12 pm

Post subject: Boromir!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

One of my favorite members of the fellowship, Boromir captain of the white tower has often been regarded as better than aragorn (point per point) for less than 200 pts you receive a nearly unrivaled stat array to include 6 might(!), 3 w/f, lots of 3's and 6's (not to mention a 7 def with a shield) and his glorious special rule which nearly forces the opponent to engage him one on one.

Here is my question, having never run him, boromir of gondor has many similar stats with the exception of will and fate. It is obvious that he is a potent fighter and for a fraction of the cost. Is there anyone out there who prefers to use boromir of gondor? I mean 70 pts is a big difference and if we follow the 1 will/fate = 5 pts then I would argue that capt of the white tower is a bit over cost (3 fate and 2 will is 25 pts. Hvy armor boosts it to a 30 pt difference).

I'm not arguing that the capt's pt total should be dropped, he is a monster and is worth every point spent on him, but clearly, boromir of gondor is a steal (all things being equal). Fate aside, why not use boromir of gondor?
 Post subject: Re: Boromir!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

can't lead troops

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

True, but with the 70 pts you will save, you can field another leader such as cirion or denethor, or possibly even faramir depending on how many more points you have available.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

He's good in an all-hero force depending on who else you have. He works nicely with Gandalf or the new Galadriel profile as they can mitigate his low Will and both have Blinding Light to make sure he gets into combat as he has no Fate to protect him.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:35 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Low defence (was good in LOTR rules- with all the profile buffs these days it's low) and a lack of fate mean he pulls arrows like he's magnetised. Elven cloak can help mitigate this but it's adding more cost. Def 7 is always better than 6 too. COTWT has far more equipment available to him him too.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I see. There is no denying that the capt is better. As mentioned, the capt is regarded as better than aragorn by some, I'm inclinded to agree. At the same time, I think BoG could effectively be used to slash up your opponent's rank and file while another warband could be used to focus on things like monster slaying or hero battles. Of course the capt could do this too, and I've used him for that in the past. He's really good at it.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I do believe that advances to Will and Fate on 3 attack/wound profiles are worth 10 points each. That would be 50 points for those, and the 20 points for ability to lead forces, defence, equiptment options etc. so all is fair, you are getting what you pay for either way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Agreed. I was just curious to see if there were any players out there who preferred BoG over the capt, but it sounds like no matter which way you cut it, the capt is the preferred boromir.