All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:48 am

Post subject: Inspiration for the elven swords in LOTR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've seen claims that the elven swords were based on polish sabres, as well as Japanese swords. Does anyone have information on what the movie makers based the elven weapons on? Google basically sends me to 1281702 links on where to buy replicas.

I've tried looking up Japanese weapon sites, but like elven weapons, I get sent to mostly katanas for sale sites.

I could have sworn I saw a pic of a Japanese weapon that matched the Galadhrim swords used at Helm's Deep....

Thanks for any help
 Post subject: Re: Inspiration for the elven swords in LOTR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's an interesting discussion, but naturally, fantasy artists and designers draw inspiration from real life, ironically, it's the reality within fantasy that makes it so fantastic! The reason Elves became more human and realistic rather than little green pixies is so that human readers like ourselves could relate to them more, understand their emotions, and ultimately connect with them on a readerly and sympathetic level. The same goes for the way fantasy cultures design their weaponry, clothing and architecture.

I have a brilliant and comprehensive book on swords and sabres that I use as reference material in my own artworks, and I can confirm that many of the swords used by the medieval eastern-European and African peoples (Persia, China, Mesopotamia, Egypt in particular) resemble something very close to the Elven swords of PJ's films. Similarly, there are several Indian and Sri-lankan swords that are remarkably akin to more Orcish weapons, such as the way they are shaped, or indeed the more barbarous nature of their design due to the fact they were often used for hunting or for a similar purpose. Indian ritual swords (from around 1750) in particular have a very Orkish feel to them, and I don't mean this in a discriminatory way, more that when I look at the primitive and yet functional design of the blade I instantly think 'Orc'.

And as a p.s., if you haven't guessed already, I am utterly fascinated by this aspect of fantasy design, so thanks very much for allowing me to indulge in such a debate!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I Believe the Nagamaki is what you are thinking of \

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-x1sY0a1ncX4/T ... gamaki.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

There wasn't one set area which was the inspiration - they looked at lots of different swords, picked a theme that would run throughout the culture and went with it. For the elves this was curves, so they didn't want to just make them Samurai in middle earth but took the design further and gave it some bends.
It is most similar to the Nagamaki, but its a completely different weapon in action.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Elven blades in the films also tend to widen in the middle like a leaf (think Sting), which is strongly reminiscent of less Japanese blades and more Turkish and Persian weaponry.