All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

Post subject: Disappointing dwarves
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The bat rep for my most recent battle is coming soon. I used my dwarves in a 600 point match. I was very disappointed in how they performed and what a waste of space they seemed. This post is basically for me to complain about them though I know some will disagree.
Firstly their high defense was a waste of points. Defense 7-8 rarely changed what was needed to kill my dwarves.
Balin has two attacks...need I say more.
Lack of spear support was clearly and obvious flaw.
Murin a Drar didn't kill a thing
I killed three of his models vs. the 17 dwarves he killed...my iron hills veterans no less.
2 of my 3 kills was a result of in my opinion a poor decision two charge two mounted haradrim into my front line allowing them to be surrounded. So he potentially could have won the battle loosing only a single archer.
 Post subject: Re: Disappointing dwarves
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Have you ever fought with dwarves before? As far as I'm aware they're hardly a pushover. You say the high defence was a waste of points but against Harad it should have made it much harder for his arrows to injure your troops. As for the lack of spear support being an issue there are two ways around that. You can potentially add in a warband of Erebor spearmen to offset the weakness. If that doesn't interest you, you just have to avoid a fight that becomes one shieldwall vs another.

Apart from that it just sounds like the dice gods completely abandoned you in that game! I'm sure you'll do better next time.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Use the king's champion with his 2 banners. They are a godsend if you are using them, but a right pain to play against, believe you me.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

As a long time Dwarf player (35-0 now) and a longtime Haradrim player I can say with great confidence that either you are supremely out-matched from a tactical standpoint, have the worst dice in existence or something else along such epic lines.
In a pitched battle there is absolutely NO way that Harad should flat out stomp Dwarves. You have superior strength, defense, and courage. Your odds of wounding are far greater than his Balin is a beast, just give him Durin's axe and he kills Haradrim on 3's. Murin and Drar are great too, they kill Haradrim on 4's.

Yup To be honest it sounds like you guys had to have played incorrectly or something to get smashed that badly

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

When I play against dwarves I find it the most difficult army to battle. Instead of bashing the entire army for one performance perhaps get used to the way dwarves are supposed to fight. If you command dwarves the same way you command Gondorians then you are going to lose. A change of tactics would be far more sensible than blaming it on the stats of your army.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Before warband rules dwarves were nerfed but now everybody calls em OP ...

Imo they have no such a disadvantage due to lack of spear support but their main weakness is speed. If you overpass that, you don't have to fear many things (except hurl :P )

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Spread your line out, use shielding, don't piercing strike. Definitely try and get Durins Axe for Balin.

Please post us your army list.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Balin with durins axe. - 8 warriors with shield and iron hill upgrade and four iron guard.
Murin and drar - 12 warriors with shield or bow and iron hills upgrade.
Dwarf king - 3 regular warriors

Last edited by chiefhugh on Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It was the dice gods. My haradrim dice were *hot* and the dwarves were not. 1 charge from suludan dropped murin (3 6's on the wnd dice. No might expended!). Sadly for drar the same thing happened on the following turn. The battle report is en route. Balin took a solid 3 turns to drop and was surrounded by many, many watchers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Firstly it could be down to the models you are using. Balin is very good but instead of Iron Hill's Veterans I would suggest using Khazad Guard or Vault Wardens. Dwarf Kings are not that good either. The King's Champion, Shielbearer and Floi are very good.
Secondly it could be down to tactical errors or back luck. Dwarves are an effective force once in combat and should only rarely nearly get tabled.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I dont know what to say without repeating everyone else, but you need some elites in there. Get some Khazad Guard and even Iron Guard perhaps, or some vault wardens even.

You dont need 7 or 8 D.

Almost everything the haradrim have is wounding you on 6s anyway with D 6-7.

Replace the Dwarf King with Gimli-hes very easy to get if you dont have him.

Dwarves are so hard to kill. Even my hunter orcs and Isengard have issues with them. And my Hunters have issues with NO ONE.

Ive played Dwarves a couple of times, and Ive used Erebor with spear support. Never Durins folk really. Either way, you need to change the way you play them if you lost that many to Harad....