All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:46 pm

Post subject: Iron Guard
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I am looking to complete my LOTR Dwarf army and am trying to keep in the spirit of Tolkein, not GW. So this means I have the plastic LOTR dwarf warriors, Khazad Guard, dwarf command, two dwarf ballistas, Gimli, Dain, Balin and the FOTR dwarf kings. No dwarf rangers as I believe this to be a carryover from Warhammer Fantasy (I thought dwarves hated forests and prefered mountains). Also no King's Champion, as I can't find it referenced in Tolkein.

So my question is what is the logic behing the Iron Guard? GW present them as "guarding the trade routes". My background in historical gaming is that "guard units" are elite veterans. I know this is fantasy, but what is the purpose of an "Iron Guard" in your army if you already have a "Khazad Guard".

Warlord
 Post subject: Re: Iron Guard
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would say that there isn't really 'a point' in having 2 Guard units, rather they're both meant for specific roles.
You said it yourself, the Iron Guard protect traders and would probably form a specific group, perhaps paid buy the King in that area, or perhaps just hired by merchants to look after their stock on the more dangerous routes.
The Khazad Guard, however, are part of the standing army of Khazad Dum, and fill the more conventional 'guard' role of protecting force leaders and royalty.

I personally think the Iron Guard fit Middle Earth quite nicely, as they have their own niche, but I can see why others would disagree, as it may only be in desperate times (e.g. when all efforts are devoted to war so no trading is occuring) that they would be diverted to serve in the main army a long with the Khazad Guard. All depends on the theme of your army really. :)

Hope that helps.

OERP
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Just wanted to add that Dwarf Rangers aren't Forrest dwellers lol they're mountain dwellers like the Iron Guard, protecting trade routes and the like. Also there are wooded areas on mountains so if they're used to some trees it wouldn't be out of place.

I do have the Kings Champion because it's a beautiful piece and IMO fits the era of warfare Tolkien was copying for his fantasy as peoples did have their "Champion" ie Achilles etc

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Inregards to the dwarf rangers. If you look at their special ability, it allows the rangers to effortlessly scale rocky surfaces. Indeed the dwarven rangers would better be named dwarven mountaineers. I understand your distain, but these dwarven mountaineers are very mountain friendly. In fact, they would perform quite poorly in a forest.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:44 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

As said above, Dwarf Rangers are just as bad in forests as any dwarf. Iron Guards fit reasonably well in with the canon, especially when you consider that we know next to nothing about dwarves. The King's Champion fits in perfectly with historical kingdoms. The place of the champions of Gondor seem to have been filled with the son of the current ruler, or even the ruler himself. This explains why Boromir and Aragorn were so insanely skilled, and why Denethor was [word deleted] off that Aragorn was better than him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I kind of felt Iron Guard and Dwarf Rangers go together a bit, as both are tasked with protecting the outskirts of a hold and work as skirmishers more so than shield wall, main battle elements. As I said in another thread, I have no problem with Dwarf Rangers and feel they fit in perfectly fine in the setting. I also feel Iron Guard are their shock troops and/or backup. In the old SBG I'd have the Iron Guard meander behind the main shield wall of warriors and Khazad and wait to try and sweep around the rear of the enemy or punch through a hole in the enemies formation (or fill up mine) and they worked well. Two attacks and throwing weapons makes them pretty good at the job.