All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:08 pm

Post subject: Having a Bad Weekend
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It started when the chair I was on decided to collapse underneath me in mid paint stroke sending a pint of my finest home brew cider spewing over the base to my diorama !!!
Next up was finishing painting a horse to a good standard and did the sealing and finishing with a couple of coats of Testors. For some reason it came out in little white blobs despite being well shaken, completely ruining the mini !!!
The diorama I seem to have got away with as it has dried out okay and thankfully I have still to put some flock grass on it.

So it got me thinking...what disasters / near disasters have everyone else experienced ?

The chair never made a recovery...

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:21 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My disaster's not really mini related but it's related to your post. Home brewed cider! I've tried it twice now to dismal failure :(
The first batch went haywire and when I took the lid off the fermenter it nearly burnt the hairs out of my nose it was that potent, the second one looked good but has no carbonation at all. Got any tips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was also going to enquire about your home brew, it's something I've wanted to try for a while. Perhaps we should start a "Brewlore of the Shire" thread to discuss all things home made and alchohlic :yay:!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Eorling wrote:
I was also going to enquire about your home brew, it's something I've wanted to try for a while. Perhaps we should start a "Brewlore of the Shire" thread to discuss all things home made and alchohlic :yay:!

Good idea, although the problem is this is a family oriented forum :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh.. I'v done so many stupid thing, put my used brush in a glass of coca-cola wich stood on the table..

Of course I've spilled different fluids over my minis a few times, soda, paint and so on.
But with a few curses and a try to kill the wall right next to me it usually work out fine :P

But the worst thing is then you drop minis, I've dropped my mumakil a few times and last week I accidently pushed my brothers fellbeast of from the table, NOT GOOD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ranger of Gondor wrote:

Quite so my good fellow, which is why we should make every effort to promte the obeying of laws, responsible social drinking and not to excess :). I hope it would be ok I really would be interested in sharing experience and tips.

As for having accidents with minis, I once picked up a can to varnish a finshed mini and gave it a quick blast. Such a shame that I picked up a can of skull white rather than my purity seal. :sad: D'OH !!

Will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Eorling wrote:
Ranger of Gondor wrote:

Quite so my good fellow, which is why we should make every effort to promte the obeying of laws, responsible social drinking and not to excess :). I hope it would be ok I really would be interested in sharing experience and tips.

As for having accidents with minis, I once picked up a can to varnish a finshed mini and gave it a quick blast. Such a shame that I picked up a can of skull white rather than my purity seal. :sad: D'OH !!

Will.

Bahahahaha :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

one of the last times i was painting i couldn't close my pot of varnish well, and i put aside and accidentally pushed it over. Table was full of varnish and so were my pants lol. tried to scoop the varnish from the table back in lol. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
As for having accidents with minis, I once picked up a can to varnish a finshed mini and gave it a quick blast. Such a shame that I picked up a can of skull white rather than my purity seal. D'OH !!

LOLOLOLOL but that must have been sooooooo annoying.

i spent literally 3 hours painting gimli's left eye, finally got a result which matched the right eye, and then somehow got a splodge of brown paint in his face. NOOOOO!!! i managed to fix it with matching eyes fairly quickly but dammit that was frustrating. stupid gimli. grrr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

for some reason, every time i touch my badab black paint pot, it tips over and spills over my table!

I use a dry brush to soak it up, then i get a cup and drain it in, then pour it back into the badab black paint pot, but this is getting really annoying...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I was working on some plastic Space Orks once. I had a few on the table and was holding one while painting it. I accidentally dropped it and quickly reached down to catch it before it hit the floor, but caught my hand on the choppa blade of one of the Orks on the table. It sank into my finger about a 1/4 of an inch.

Vicious little things them Orks, ain't they!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ouch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

OK, I've been around long enough to do a few stupid things.
Here we go with my top 5...
First: The ole' grabbing the flat black spray instead of the clear coat.
Second: Spilling the pots of paint all over when reaching across them.
Third: Not paying attention when cutting a sprue or sculpting and continuing into the finger and wondering where the red paint came from.
Fourth: Cap stuck on turp bottle, then suddenly and unexpectingly splashing it upward into my open eyes. That one scared me, eyes are pretty important.
Fifth: The embarrasing dirty work area and cleaning it up. Then finding out that I threw away brand new, unused tools because they were in the blessed mess.