All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:55 pm

Post subject: Multi part plastics would be nice.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Right, I wasn't really sure where to put this, so here seems the best place, feel free to move it to a more suitable area though.

As time goes by, and vast leaps are made in the creation of plastic miniatures, this is something that has been annoying me more and more.

For a very long time, since the release of the original 'Fellowship' boxed game, I was hesitant about getting into the Lord of the Rings. I'd read the books, was planning on seeing the films, had played a few games, but one thing was really putting me off - the one piece plastic models. (Yes, I know some have separate shields/spears/etc)

I don't know about anybody else, but to me it was like the older 40k and Fantasy models, or those really crappy 15mm toy soldiers you get. On cl;oser inspection, I found that the minis were of a slightly smaller scale than I was used to, and the details weren't all that great.

It was annoying sure, but I figured I could live with it, seeing as I never thought I'd amass so many of them.

Until lately, and the release of War of the Ring.

Now, I'm ploughing through about 300 Orcs, in 12 poses, and it's heartbreaking. Especially when compared to some of the new plastic releases for Warhammer and 40k, (Chaos Knights especially.)

So, it's a dream, but what I'd like to see, is plastic multi-part LotR minis, in a similar style to the Warhammer Regiments.

Something along the lines of -

2 sprues - 12 different torsos and legs, about 16 or so heads.
1 sprue - 8 sets of hand weapon and shield arms (shields optional)
1 sprue - 8 sets of missile weapons (bows or crossbows, quivers etc)
1 sprue - 8 sets of race specific armament (pikes for Uruk-hai, two handed weapons for Dwarves etc)
1 sprue - command parts (alternative torso/head for a Captain, parts to make a banner bearer, possibly a musician or shaman, also some miscellaneous 'bitz')

Think about it for a moment.

The possibilities would be endless. You could build an army where EVERY SINGLE MODEL WAS DIFFERENT! It would look great in the SBG rules, which as a skirmish game, should promote individuality, and it would be a great move for anybody collecting a WotR army. Don't want those missile weapons? Trade them for some more Swords and Shields then.

Of course, it would require a lot of re-organising of the lines, and probably a price change.

I could bear for the kits to stay the same price and have 2 sprues of 8 torsos/legs, which would give 16 minis per box, or 2 company bases. Or for a small increase to have 2 sprues of 12 (or 3 sprues of 8) in them.

They could also look at some of the older models too. I'd love it if my Fighting Uruks were at least as big as the Scouts, and I'm sure we'd see more interest in different armies if the models were released as plastic kits, thinking Numenor/Dunland here.

Anyway, it's just something that was bugging me a bit, and that's my thoughts on it.

Feel free to discuss/debate/ridicule/spit the dummy out as appropriate.

:wink:

Post subject: Multi-part Plastics
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I couldn't agree with you more!

Especially as many of the basic warrior poses are so static.

Consequently a significant number of my completed models are conversions. Some are better than others.

The last time I recall that we had any real ability to alter the general appearance of our figures was the conversion pack that came with BGIME #75 - and that was four years ago.

The plastic Troll kit was, I believe, a step in the right direction. It gave us plenty of scope for using our imaginations and creating a unique figure.

Sadly it appears as though GW have not taken any further steps in this direction.

Maybe if enough of us made the point GW may give it further thought.

Kalatha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

HERE HERE! gareew i agree the one piece plastics are a bit dull and boring and horrendous on the mold lines. the one thing i got into the hobby when i got a bit more experienced was the multi part plastics i simply love being able to build them and create diverse figures. but the thing is though if they were to go multipart you can see the boxes going to around 10 or so figures and the price going up. i think it would be fun but one thing about lotr warhammer is that unique one piece figure. so basically it would be fun but then you'd lose that special lotr thing
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

mitch_rohan wrote:
HERE HERE! gareew i agree the one piece plastics are a bit dull and boring and horrendous on the mold lines. the one thing i got into the hobby when i got a bit more experienced was the multi part plastics i simply love being able to build them and create diverse figures. but the thing is though if they were to go multipart you can see the boxes going to around 10 or so figures and the price going up. i think it would be fun but one thing about lotr warhammer is that unique one piece figure. so basically it would be fun but then you'd lose that special lotr thing

seconded.

however it would be nice if they released some conversion/bitz packs (packs with 8 alternate shields, some 2h weapons, maybe even alternate heads) this way you keep "the special lotr thing" and if those kits are plastic you could easily make each model different with as few work as possible, and for a fair price.

also you could solve the problem with certain equipment options. you dont want archers, get a shield/sword bitz pack (and the other way around of course)

and the people with no intrest in the bitz/conversion packs just dont buy them.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:58 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I totally agree. But if GW replaced the existing packs with such packs, they would be even more expensive then they already are, and since I'm only 13 years old, it wouldn't be possible for me to continue with LotR... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Maybe just maybe they are waiting to see how popular WOTR will turn out to be before they invest money into creating new sprues.... This is what Im hoping anyway and maybe by Xmas we will see some new sprues of the older models available with new poses and possibilities.

After all to be realistic they cant just take a huge risk and invest a pile of money into something untill they know its going to make them heaps of money in return, it is a business after all of which without we wouldnt have the LOTR games and minis we are all so hooked in.

This is my opinion anyway and I do agree totally I would love to see some new poses/models etc but also understand why they cant just bring out everything we ask for when we ask for it....
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i think that conversion pack would be nice and perhaps instead of 2 sprues of 12 sculpts 2 sprues of 24 sculpts( i mean 24 different sculpts) would be excellent. and a conversion pack would be nice as well. variety is always the best thing a wargammer has conversions/sculpting etc are just absolutely awesome i cant wait to tuck into my marines conversions and individualism all the way yewwwwwww. but i wouldn't see them turning to multipart at this point perhaps for elites or something as it costs up to hundreds and thousands for a new set ( not quite sure on the numbers though) so don't get your hopes up soon.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am having the same problem gaarew, though only on half the scale. I am frantically hunting for three of each metal orc pose to give a bit of individuality. 36 plastic orcs is enough, any more and I would die of boredom. Only disadvantage of course is the cost, and the rarity... but maybe by the end of the year I'll have the 54 metals.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:39 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you want examples of what can be done with multipart/multipose minis, here are some existing examples in a price range very similar to GW:
Perry produce numerous Napoleonic and American Civil War minis:
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html
Warlord produce Romans, Celts and English Civil War minis:
http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/plastic- ... t-80-p.asp
http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/celtic-w ... -104-p.asp
http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/pike-and ... 1455-p.asp
So, it can be done - and bear in mind that warlord are putting 30 multipart minis in a box for £17! GW have 24 minis for £15... so there is no price impact, really.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!

Last edited by Dorthonion on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@ Kalatha - yes, the Troll kit is definately a step in the right direction.

@ Mitch - I disagree that the one piece models is a special LotR thing. For me, it's just a reminder of how far Warhammer/40k have come on over the years. Also, 12 different torsos/legs gives you 78 different combinations before you consider adding heads/arms.

Phantom_Lord wrote:
however it would be nice if they released some conversion/bitz packs (packs with 8 alternate shields, some 2h weapons, maybe even alternate heads) this way you keep "the special lotr thing" and if those kits are plastic you could easily make each model different with as few work as possible, and for a fair price.

The problem with this, as it was with the BGiMe sprue, is that only certain models (those with a separate weapon arm) lend themselves to easy conversions. Anything else, and you enter the realms of chopping things up.

Shield packs would be nice though.

It's not so much for conversions that I had this in mind, although it would be nice if the LotR range include more 'bitz' than a pair of Balrog wings...

More for the individual aspect, and it would fill gaps in the line. Chances are, people would be more inclined to spend money if they were getting a comparable product to what is available now, if it gives them more freedom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

yeh the balrog wins is a bit pointless i mean whats the point. i dont think theyll do multipart although they may possibly as with wotr and 6 or so years theyve gone to deep to change stuff now. but its GW unpredictable and some what unreliable so who knows. multipart riders i think would be so good
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Before I bumped into this hobby it was all hockey sticks, baseball gloves, footballs (real football, not that soccer stuff :P ) then came LotR and I fell in love with the models, but after I found out that GWs other 2 ranges of models had all these extra parts I have been craving them since. I think that is what sent me down the conversion road. So, John I couldn't agree more...I hope now that LotR has moved into more of a Warhammerish type of game with WotR maybe we will get those extra bits. :)

Post subject: Re: Multi part plastics would be nice.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

gaarew wrote:
For a very long time, since the release of the original 'Fellowship' boxed game, I was hesitant about getting into the Lord of the Rings. I'd read the books, was planning on seeing the films, had played a few games, but one thing was really putting me off - the one piece plastic models. (Yes, I know some have separate shields/spears/etc)

I don't know about anybody else, but to me it was like the older 40k and Fantasy models, or those really crappy 15mm toy soldiers you get. On closer inspection, I found that the minis were of a slightly smaller scale than I was used to, and the details weren't all that great.

It was annoying sure, but I figured I could live with it, seeing as I never thought I'd amass so many of them.

I had much the same thoughts John, though having the lotr miniatures in proper scale as opposed to the grotesquely disproportionate WH figures was a big plus in my book. Don’t get me wrong I like grotesque, but too many of today’s WH figures are complete S@***@.

gaarew wrote:
Until lately, and the release of War of the Ring.

Now, I'm ploughing through about 300 Orcs, in 12 poses, and it's heartbreaking. Especially when compared to some of the new plastic releases for Warhammer and 40k, (Chaos Knights especially.)

Why I’m never likely to get into WotR. Hell I haven’t painted the orcs I have because they’re sitting on the shopping block awaiting there pose conversions.

I haven’t seen the newest (2009) plastic kits, but GW has been very uneven with the quality of their kits. Most don’t have different torsos and legs just additional weapons options. The ogre bulls box set I bought was really (word removed) just one body with different weapon options. In fact every ogre regiment box set ha the same exact body! There are only a few kits that I can think of that fit your desired components, zombies, empire militia and to a lesser extent dark eldar.

Rob
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oh I'd love to see a set as you describe it John!! :-D I really, really would.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Phantom_Lord wrote:

also you could solve the problem with certain equipment options. you dont want archers, get a shield/sword bitz pack (and the other way around of course)

and the people with no intrest in the bitz/conversion packs just dont buy them.

They had one but discontinued it!!? They should have more.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

DarkWind wrote:
I am having the same problem gaarew, though only on half the scale. I am frantically hunting for three of each metal orc pose to give a bit of individuality. 36 plastic orcs is enough, any more and I would die of boredom. Only disadvantage of course is the cost, and the rarity... but maybe by the end of the year I'll have the 54 metals.

I Hate you and your 54 metal orcs!! Well no not really. The only metal orcs I've been able to get a hold of have been the archers. :(
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

kidterminal wrote:
I haven’t seen the newest (2009) plastic kits, but GW has been very uneven with the quality of their kits. Most don’t have different torsos and legs just additional weapons options. The ogre bulls box set I bought was really (word removed) just one body with different weapon options. In fact every ogre regiment box set ha the same exact body! There are only a few kits that I can think of that fit your desired components, zombies, empire militia and to a lesser extent dark eldar.

Time to crawl back to GW Rob and see what you've been missing...

Most, if not all, of the Warhammer kits have at least a choice of weapons, and lots of other cool stuff. The kits that spring to mind for me for choice are - the Empire state troopers, Chaos Marauders/Horsemen, Empire Knights (which I don't actually like, but they have plenty of options).

Also, the Ogre Bulls. There are two bodies. One has the left foot flat, the other has the right...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

gaarew wrote:

Most, if not all, of the Warhammer kits have at least a choice of weapons, and lots of other cool stuff. The kits that spring to mind for me for choice are - the Empire state troopers, Chaos Marauders/Horsemen, Empire Knights (which I don't actually like, but they have plenty of options).

Also, the Ogre Bulls. There are two bodies. One has the left foot flat, the other has the right...

Two bad bodies don't make a nice one! They are nearly identical and you'd hate having 6 or more lined up together. All the WH plastic kits (from the past 5 years or so) have weapon options, that's why I keep those sprues around. The last chaos space marine mutation sprue is really very good. The (about to be has been) rat ogre set is much better than the ogres you get a real choice of bodies. The new Vampire Counts stuff (one of my old armies) is so bad I can't bare to look at them. But that has more to do with the fact that art director in charge of that line must be legally blind than the options in the kits.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

gaarew wrote:

I was there about 4 weeks ago, they were out of stock on most of their lotr stuff. The manager explained that because of the (then) impending WotR release they couldn't get anymore lort for me. The main US hub wouldn't send any restock!

Oh and if you've ever worked for an independent game store and had dealings with the GW people you know they are the enemy. Placing a simple restock order turns into a major battle. You don't tell them what you want to stock in your store, they tell you!!! All my gaming friends have worked for an independent games store at one time or another, most of them will never cross that threshold. And I can see nearly anything I want at my old store. The only difference is the red shirts are so gushy about new releases and I won't be distracted by all the beautiful Reaper models on display!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Rob, I was told the restock issue was due to someone dropping the ball at a factory in the states. Apparently their computer was not auto-tracking the stock of east coast stores so they failed to resupply them. :roll:

Anyway, I am something of a fence sitter on the subject of more options for models. Yes, it would be nice but what GW has done with the other ranges is decrease the actual number of models you get per box while increasing the cost. I would hate to see that in LotR, especially for anyone working on a WotR army. Plus, it takes longer to assemble models with lots of bits and I do appreciate any time saved when I am trying to churn out an army worthy of Mordor.

I am also a bit of a sucker for uniformity but I am an Isengard player. :oops: