All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 am

Post subject: Wargaming and younger ages
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What do you think about wargaming at lower ages (12-18 )?

As being only 13 myself, I think it's an awesome hobby, but costs alot to get started with.

I mean, when you got all essential tools, brushes, paint, materials and so on, you're 150 euros further, not counting any miniatures or terrain pieces yet.

Now, as most people at that age don't make 2000 euros a month, do you think parents should help their children out?
As children who love gaming get a computer, why won't wargamers get help too?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

yes i agree do you have any minis because when i started i was your age im now fifteen and have a job so its not that big of a deal for me but when i started it took me a long time to finish a book set and buy the time i would finish a set i would have enough money for more :)

Éomer
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

In 1.5 years, with a little help from my nephew working at GW I managed to collect some Goblins and some Rohirrim, but can't find the money to either paint them, or get heroes.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i think that it is a good idea, that way when you get to my age (16) then you will be a good painter and gamer, i myself started at 11
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I bought an entire dwarf army (750 points) with 1$ (~1.5 Euro) saved every day for a year. (its easier than it sounds). Including paint, brushes and the Khazad dum book...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:15 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This hobby is not a cheap one, but it is also not more expensive than many other hobbies (such as video games, etc.). While there are considerable startup costs, most of these purchases will last you for a long time. I have some paints that are years old, and my pin vice still works like a charm!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yup, it's a very expensive hobby, that's why I thought most kids these days were doing smack instead, because it would kill them before they ran out of cash...

Wandering Dunadain wrote:
i think that it is a good idea, that way when you get to my age (16) then you will be a good painter and gamer, i myself started at 11

I started this about 18 years ago now, so if that's the case, I should be a GD standard painter by now... I'm not.

Also, shouldn't that mean you should have mastered typing by now?

It's more about the hobbyist in general, rather than the age or whatever.

It doesn't matter if you are 12 or 21, if you are an idiot, you're an idiot. There are loads of little kids in the local GW who are pretty level-headed, and a few that look to be developing into really good painters or gamers. Similarly, there are guys in their late teens who are the aforementioned idiots.

What you'll find is, in general, it's guys not girls who get into this hobby as youngsters, then when they hit their late teens they either scale down their involvement or give it up because they have discovered girls and alcohol. Using the money they have been after so long for mini related goodness.

Some, but not all, will return after a few years hiatus, and for those that head off to uni or whatever, they will find that there are usually uni gaming groups, and, shock horror, there are girls there. And they can kick ass and take names just as well as the boys.

[spoiler]Look up Ali McVey (fluffybunny.) You might recognise the surname, being that she is married to Mike McVey (GW 'Eavy Metaller and sculptor of old) and check her work out. She's only been painting for about 5 years, maybe not even that long. Jen Hayley is another one.[/spoiler]

When I was a youngster, it was pretty much birthday and Christmas that I got new minis, then once I started working, it's what I blew all my cash on. It is an expensive hobby, but like I told my old man when he complained about the cost 'At least I have something to show for my money the next day, my mates are all p'ing theirs up against a wall.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i agree with gaarew, investing in chunks of metal is more secure than investing in alcohol!
there are so many things that are a)more expensive and b)have a negative effect on everything else - you could be spending the time when you would be painting minis vandalising a bus stop after all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hey hey! i wasnt having a go at any one, there is no need to turn nasty
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:59 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

A lot of kids are starting with Lord of the ring miniature with the age under 10. Most of the time the starterset with goblins. It is a good way to start painting and to practice and learning the game a litte bit.

When the get older they go the internet sites like this and visit more the shops to learn more about the game. some are more the painters and others want only to play and some want both. On the internet there are many ways to get the old models a little cheaper(marktplaats, trade topic)

When you want to learn more about painting you can visit your local shop(Spellekijn) and buy there a single model(1 or 2euro) and paint it for free. you can practice with the paint there and see what colours you need for your models.
In your local store there are all the rulebooks where you can take a look in for the profiles and points. and there are special days for Lord of the Rings where you can play for free.

Building some armies doesn't have to cost a lot of money, and some of the best painters only use two brushes and only 7 colours for all the models. (a lot of mixing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This sounds like a good idea but with parents such as mine I get no money for anything unless I work for it. I enjoy gaming but I had to buy my own X-Box 360 and they are definately not buying me a computer.
My mother refuses to buy me anything to do with wargaming but my sister who is 2 years younger gets all the clothes and makeup she wants!

I am 15 almost 16 and unemployed, soon to be remedied so these problems wont effect me for much longer.
For younger children 6-12 I think that their parents should give them the financial support that they need to have a happy childhood within reason.

I can see how this could be costly to some parents, I have been playing Warhammer Fantasy, LOTR SBG and 40,000 for 2.5 years and have spent roughly 1,500 Australian dollars. So that is why I say that they should provide support within reason.

KJ Necromancer

www.myspace.com/AIBmelbourne
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'll address you initial question...
I think you are at the perfect age to begin this facinating hobby!
I'm a teacher, parent and a life long hobbiest. I love all things miniature...
I will encourage and support my child to pursue a hobby. Hobbies have filled me with a sense of accomplishment and challenges that were interesting to solve. Hobbies promote study, creativity and problem solving, all qualities that a young person will need to succeed in the world.
Also, I think it is reasonable to help invest in a hobby when the child is showing great interest and the child should work (at something like chores) to help pay for their interests. When you pay or work for something, you usually have a greater appreciation for it.
Work out a deal with your parent. Show them you are truly commited to your endeavor and if they are reasonable, it will work out for everyone.
If they are not reasonable, find a way to do it yourself. Get a small job/s and earn it yourself. You'll have to learn that lesson eventually, anyhow.
Your persistance will pay off.

Good luck persuing you hobby!
GoR
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree with the geezer of Rhun, my agreement is that my parents support me monthly by giving me a small amount.

On by b'day, I get loads of money anyway (sorry if it seems like i am boasting :wink: ), so i can usually get what I want in the few months after my B'day.

Post subject: Re: Wargaming and younger ages
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sander wrote:
As being only 13 myself...

Later, Sander wrote:
with a little help from my nephew working at GW

A bit young to have a nephew, oh well.

Being myself of a fairly young age (Internet laws forbid me from stating that at present) I agree that A couple thousand €s do not come easily when you get a grand total of €500 a year from presents and gifts. I haven't been able to go near wargaming in months because the level of work being deposited on my shoulders is becoming unbearable, but I see what you mean. Thank goodness for midterms, a time for peace, relaxation, and minis!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I started this hobby at age 12, and it was great for me. I've been in it almost 6 years now, have lots of miniatures accumulated, lots of good memories collected, and lots of experience and hobbying knowledge under my belt.

My painting is still, really, just tabletop standard (unless I spend 12 hours on one mini...but even then it's only the hiccup of a professional) but I've become very adventerous with conversions and I have a great time of it.

I was a pretty mature 12 year old, composed myself very well online and have learned tons about life, people, religions, and the world at large through this hobby.

This game has definitely changed and shaped my life in a positive way.

...even if I can't go to sleep some nights thinking about my backlog. :roll:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:00 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I started painting minis when I was 18 and it was prohibitively expensive, even back then (almost 30 years ago). When I started, it was for D&D gaming since tabletop wargaming hadn't hit its stride at that point, but even so, it was way more than I could afford at the time (being a poor high school student with no income).

The best way I found to get help with my hobby was through birthday and christmas presents - write up a list of paints and/or miniatures that you want, or perhaps suggest a gift voucher (most hobby stores will do that).

I think parents should help out with their kids' hobby as much as they can - it's a very rewarding pastime and is more creative than other things such as video games (I like both by the way). But a lot of parents can't see past the price tag unfortunately, and view the whole thing as an expensive waste of time.

To combat that, I suggest dragging your one of your parents along to a game convention and showing him first hand just how creative the whole thing can be - with hundreds of kids and grown ups enjoying themselves on game tables that are beautifully modelled, they're sure to change their minds a little. And if one of your parents is your ally, then they can work on the other one for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:09 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Like Solly I started aged 12, and next month it will have been 6 year since I picked up the TTT boxed set from GW Meadowhall in Sheffield and delved into the World of Wargaming. Now I'm sat in the early hours of the morning on a gaming website while planning my Good GT army and doing some modelling. Ah, sweet fun!

I think that early teens is a great age to start the hobby. Over your teenage years you'll develop many skills through the hobby, and come out as a mature person and gamer, and most importantly, you'll love every minute of it! (except maybe when Aragorn's Courage check comes up snake eyes with no Might or Will left....:P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i got the mines of moria in january im 12 but anyway i have spent all of my spare time essencially reading the books playing the scenarios and painting I do wish my parents would support me more but my town has a J.R. stock show once a year in may so i have that money when i get it but i really dont wana wait. i have painted everything and i am already working on army ideas
:twisted:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Personally I got my start from my Dad who brought home one of the first Grenadier D&D miniature sets. Yes I'm a demon from the first age like our venerable administrator Dagorlad. I remember playing 1st edition Warhammer. I started at 15/16 with mostly presents from my Dad and saving my allowance to buy the occasional blister.

geezer of rhun wrote:
I'll address you initial question...
I think you are at the perfect age to begin this fascinating hobby!
Work out a deal with your parent. Show them you are truly committed to your endeavor and if they are reasonable, it will work out for everyone.
If they are not reasonable, find a way to do it yourself. Get a small job/s and earn it yourself. You'll have to learn that lesson eventually, anyhow.
Your persistence will pay off.GoR

I'll have to agree with the Geezer. Parents, rightly or wrongly, expect kids your age to get board with things quickly. Your parents may see the hobby as an expensive fad which you will grow out of in a year or so. You will need to demonstrate that this is a hobby that is here to stay. This will require patience because only time will show your parents how committed you are. Dagorlad has a good idea in giving your parents wish lists for holidays.

Now that said, there are many ways to cut down the costs of this hobby. A lot of GW items are wildly overpriced! I don't buy GW primer, I go the the hardware store and buy a can of common spray primer for half the price of the GW can. Art supply stores offer quality brushes a little bit cheaper than GW. The internet is the best source for finding discount miniature suppliers. Showing your parents that you are shopping for a discount price might encourage them to give you more monetary support. :)

Rob
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There are a lot of kids (early teens or younger) that hang around my local GW store... all the time. In fact they tend to be the only regular opponents and I think it is because their parents drop them off there for half of the day. It is basically day care for the parents so... :roll:

The start up cost for the hobby is definitely a lot but smart shopping and selecting an army with plenty of plastic models can reduce the cost. Not being greedy is also key. Get your supplies, get an army box, and then use it for more than two weeks before asking for more. Most parents (and I can not blame them) are going to be very doubtful of a child's ability to make a long term commitment to a time/energy/monetary intensive hobby (adults have a hard enough time doing it!) Being able to show commitment is key to getting help from them. Focusing on one force (and one game system) and actually painting the models (gasp!) will do a lot to getting that blister of Feral Uruk-hai you have been eying for two months.

For example, I know one kid which was dedicated to one army one week and then the next week abandoned it for a new army. I believe over a two month period he had shifted between seven WHFB armies, six WH40K armies, and eight LotR armies. Behavior like this does not go over well with most parents. :no:

Another, less reliable, outlet that I have seen the kids at the store take advantage of is getting unwanted armies from people they know. There are several instances of them getting models from an older sibling that has quit the hobby or even a friend that has moved past the 'fad'.

Of course some of the kids are simply spoiled brats and their parents buy them whatever they want. :-X However, most of us do not have that luxury so I'd try out my recommendations and see how they work for you.