All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Erunion wrote:
I was able to piece together the name Erunion with the help of an Elven dictionary and a couple of websites. Thus, Erunion is a rough Quenyan equivalent of Jonathan.

It's interesting the way usernames are interpreted by other people in a way entirely different to what was originally intended, because for some reason I always associated "Erunion" with "Ereinion Gil-galad" (although "Ereinion" means "Scion of Kings", so it's clearly nothing like the meaning of your username).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I suppose that's better than the other interpretation it's been given. On the Christian Gamers Forum, certain members had trouble vocalizing the name, and so in their minds they read it as "Ear-Onion," which is far less flattering.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Grimhelm of Snowbourn wrote:
What a question - I wondered if a thread like this would ever come up! :)

<<edited for length>>

During Games Workshop's War of the Ring Online Campaign, a lot of the forum activity was devoted to battle reports and roleplay, and the new character "Grimhelm" evolved into the "lord of Snowbourn" (which was my favourite region of Rohan). Later, I came to the One Ring to work on IGOTMEABOLTER's unfinished Silmarillion supplement (I was to convert Elnaith, as a look at my early gallery pictures suggests). The username "Grimhelm" had already been registered a few months previously (although oddly that account was never used), so I went with the "Grimhelm of Snowbourn" profile.

Funnily, the project forum closed about a week or two later to move to another site, so that's how I ended up with a member of the One Ring! :D Following the closure of the GW forum, the name also carried over onto TLA.

Since all that, I have been called "Grim", "Grimmy", "Snowy", "GoS", "Mr. GoS", and I seem to recall "Mr. Snowbourn" at some point. My favourite one, though, has to be PaulF's "By the Grim!" :wink:

Your profile is actually one that I was wondering about...

You chose "Rohirrim" as a race, but then chose Gondor as your "nation"...

Why not choose Rohan?

Also, about those Elnaith.

I am waiting on the figures to do the conversions, but I have wondered why so many people used the mounted Minas Tirith Knights to do their conversions rather than one of the Mounted/Armored Elledan or Elrohir figures. That way, you have very little in the way of re-sculpting and have just to seal the seam between the two halves...

At least, that is what I will be doing.

I am also doing some mounted Lorien Sylvan Elves, and mounted Sylvan Elves of Mirkwood.

The Mounted Elves of Lorien will be a sort of combination Light Horse and Full on regular Heavy Cavalry (The "real world couterparts" are cavalry such as the early Italian Cavalry and many of the Asiatic Steppe Cavalry, who could fight as skirmshing cavalry and form up to charge or fence with an opponent. They were tremendously skilled horsemen). The Mounted of Mirkwood will be simply Light Horse with Bows and Swords; no more than scouts... However... I have not run into too many people in the GW scene who are aware that it was really the LH who were the kings of the battlefield.

There is a certain fixation upon the Heavy cavalry and "Knights" as being the centerpeice of an army. And, they usually were pretty nasty when they came up against the proper situation.... But, much like the Pike phalanx... Their use was terribly limited, and could easily be countered. LH on the other hand, were terribly hard to catch. Basically dictated when and where they would fight, and were generally ferocious fighters when they finally did close...

In any event... Those figures are still a ways away from being done. I will probably just use some of the Thunderbolt Mountain Mounted Elves in the meantime. They are gorgeous, match the size of the GW figures (only the horses are a bit better looking), and are less expensive to boot...

Thanks for the history of the name though...

Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ragnos? Well, it's derived from my fascination with Star Wars. Marka Ragnos was supposedly an ancient Sith Lord, ruler of the Sith Empire. After reading a few comics about him and playing a certain game in which you must defeat his reincarnation (Jedi Academy) I settled for him as my all-time favorite Sith Lord. When thinking about a name for a Star Wars simulation called Star Wars Combine I thought of him and called myself Lief Ragnos. The Lief part is another long story which I won't go into detail here. So, the name's stuck and it's almost an alias, used in an innumerable quantity of forums and sites.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

BeAfraid wrote:
Your profile is actually one that I was wondering about...

You chose "Rohirrim" as a race, but then chose Gondor as your "nation"...

Why not choose Rohan?

Ah yes, I was wondering whether I should have included that explanation, and clearly I was wrong not to! The reason the race is as "Rohirrim" obviously goes with the username, the first army I put together, and the army I used during the War of the Ring Campaign. The realm goes back to my first post on the site:

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/viewto ... ght=#56059

Since then, my most recognised terrain projects have been with ships, and Gondor is where my first ship was themed. From a character roleplay perspective, race wouldn't be something that would change, but the realm to which one is affiliated could. In this case, you will notice that my current rank is "Citizen" of Gondor, indicating the change of nationality to reflect the activities of shipbuilding. And of course, the Rohirrim were firm allies of the Gondorians, and indeed many could have achieved high standing among them.

Coincidentally, my realm on TLA is "Quenya", to reflect that my first terrain project there was an Elven ship. :wink:

Those ideas about Elnaith are also quite interesting - I never thought of Elladan as the model for a conversion! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:11 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

Well, my real name is Brian, and I do everything in the nude !

So...Brians Nude, re-arranged = DurinsBane

:shock:

LOL, of course I dont, but I had you all going :!:

I have a fierry temper, furthermore, I hate and detest that little animated Wizard on Microsoft Word...so DB seemed fitting !

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

DurinsBane wrote:

LOL, of course I dont, but I had you all going :!:

Yes... Yes, you did, for a moment...

:?

And, then... I thought that it must have been some reference to The Life of Brian, but then he is only really nude once in the movie...

Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There are other anagrams for the naturist balrog... work them out for yourself.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:18 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dorthonion wrote:
There are other anagrams for the naturist balrog... work them out for yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

doop dude...

well, i guess it all started out with runescape (:oops:), they stupid game... my first account, death2all, got scammed, so i set about trying to make a new one...

i decided to used my dads nickname, doop (short for our surname, which in french means of the stony ground) and add on my own touch, dude. i've used it on every single forum/game i've come across! also, if you do a google search on it, you get 39, 000 results (although i can't imagine how much people would put "dude" on their sites!)

people gennerally call me DD, doopy, dude, doopo, doop, doopa, all that stuff.

for a while, i was thinking, "Banger", my nickname (i am a very loud person and i play the drums, so...) but i gave that a pass

rock on

doopy 8)

Last edited by doop dude on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My name was created when i was looking for a name for a bretonnian character in the fantasy rpg. Valdor is simply "valor" with a "d" put in :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Mine is a wordplay. I took the first three letters from my last name and first name and ended up with valpas. It means watchful or alert in Finnish, which does not unfortunately describe me at all so it's actually quite bad wordplay.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

tar elendil... well my favorite kindom is gondor and im fascinated with numenor and tar elendil was the fourth king of numenor and i like elendil from the last allience so i chose tar elendil

Éomer
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I thought of it a few years back when "attempting" to write a book. So my alias: Halian. I figured no one else would ever think of it, so I just use it on every forum and all the places I register for.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Location: Chester, Cheshire, or Durham, Co. Durham, both England.
Southdunedain was simply composed on the spur of the moment to be different from my email...but actually, it worked out pretty well, since I'm now Gondor-obsessed! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

"Londrandir" is Sindarin for "Path-Wanderer" and is my username on nearly every forum, and is also the name of my Mirkwood Elf captain. I created a whole back story for the character and wrote it down on a few forums a few years ago. It sounds nice and suits my character, being a Wood Elf of Mirkwood who wanders the forest hunting evil, but also because he has wandered Middle-Earth before and after settling in Mirkwood. However the main reason i like it is that it is a name made from Tolkiens languages, but not used by any character he created.
And i have Lothlorien under my avtar because there is no Mirkwood option and Lorien is the closet thing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

DurinsBane wrote:

LOL!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Following Brian's comments
Quote:
and
...... I hate and detest that little animated Wizard on Microsoft Word...so DB seemed fitting !

I've made a little animation especially for the grizzly old Balrog
Enjoy :-)

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Azog wrote:
Following Brian's comments
Quote:
and
...... I hate and detest that little animated Wizard on Microsoft Word...so DB seemed fitting !

I've made a little animation especially for the grizzly old Balrog
Enjoy :-)

Cool little animation... I also just noticed that your Goblin Avatar blinks every now and then... Cool...

Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My username on my own website is Ilúvatar, but then another guy said to me that that was his username. So I had to come up with something. I thought of things such as Elven blade or fire arrow on sindarin and it ended up with Gold-Bow. Laure means gold and ´Cú means bow, but since the elvish language seems to do everything backwards, I thought that it should be Cúlaure and not Laurecú. The thing about the races on the site which I think is good is that you can switch. And Rangers of the north or amongst my favorites, and I havn't seen them anywhere before, so I thought that it would be cool... :P And The Shire is where I want to live.