All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 am

Post subject: 350 points, with the new monster power attacks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I played a 350 pt game with Chief Hugh this evening. I played mordor orcs lead by Gothmog aside 2 castillians. Chief played a moria swarm with both the Goblin Kings coupled with a shaman and the troll from Angmar, whose name I forget. This was our first time using the new power atks for monsters. He broke my force in 4 turns. 4 Turns! Every turn he hurled Gothmog through my orc ranks like a rag doll! Even my castillians couldn't match power with the troll! The new monster rules really make you feel like you're fighting a monster. Gothmog survived 3 of the 4 throws. Each hurl killed 3+ orcs. Oh and the troll expended 1 might by the end of the game.

Seriously, how do you keep pace with the new monsters? They are so powerful. The power creep is obvious. However, power creep aside, what options are available to counter monsters now? I thought of a few: Black Root Vale archers, magic, another monster, and various expensive heroes (More expensive than Gothmog as he was thrown around like a rag doll).

I'm not going to lie, my pride has been harmed after such a match, I killed a total of 2 of his goblins (granted, he saved 4 with fury). He KO'ed my army, every last piece. Even without Fury, he killed my orcs at such a high rate I couldn't keep pace no matter what tactic I used. I'm not complaining, I'm shell-shocked. I knew the new monster power attacks were good, but this was unbelievable! Monsters are *very* strong now!
 Post subject: Re: 350 points, with the new monster power attacks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The new rules do change the ways you have available to tackle monsters. Gone are the days of soloing them with might-burning Heroes or feeding them a 4-point Goblin every turn. Shooting en masse is still decent, as is magic, but the last thing you want is your own guys being used as weapons against you. There are some ways to mitigate this, though.

Try, when monsters are involved, to avoid straight lines of more than a couple of troops withini Hurl range; spread out a bit sp they can't just use whatever you throw them as bowling balls.

Don't forget to ge Heroic Striking; given the naturally high F value of most Monsters, you need to be winning those fights on 6s. They typically have 3 dice to roll a 6, so do you hopefully, and the Heroic Strike is the best way of tipping the odds in your favour.

Surrounding them is still good, if you can manage it. Extra attacks are extra attacks. Same for Spears, as they don't need to pass Terror tests to get involved.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

At 350pts it will be hard to counter monsters as most big heroes/ spell casters aren't viable in normal armies.
But yeah, in general. Transfix the monsters and then surround them with heroes and high str warriors.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

jdizzy001 wrote:
The power creep is obvious.

I love how you threw this in considering your topic a while back.
I agree there's a power creep in the newest stuff but the BPA's for monsters isn't one as it's cumulative for the older profiles. A "power creep" means the newest units are better than the older ones.

That aside at 350 monsters can be difficult to counter. Magic is the best way to deal with them. A budget Wraith transfixing them would be a good way to use your current list and beat them.

Also using the sap will spell will remove the fury bubble his shaman generated. Just another good thing to point that Wraith at

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Darn straight I added in the power creep statement because the new rules applied to monsters are better than the old rules applied to monsters. Making new monsters better than old monsters. Regardless, I know that my opinion is an unpopular one. I would also add, as much as i dislike it, the new monster rules make monsters worth using. They are really worth their points.

That aside, thanks for the advice, budget wraiths would be a great option when i play another evil vs evil match. I wonder why i didnt think of that...

0 will equals no fury? So many new rules. I like that rule (as it means you have to expend some extra resources to make sure you successfully cast your spell).
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Fury is an exhaustion spell. So when the model that casts it is down to 0 will the spell ceases to be in effect. I've used sap will to drop fury bubbles several times, does wonders.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

jdizzy001 wrote:
I played a 350 pt game with Chief Hugh this evening. I played mordor orcs lead by Gothmog aside 2 castillians. Chief played a moria swarm with both the Goblin Kings coupled with a shaman and the troll from Angmar, whose name I forget. This was our first time using the new power atks for monsters. He broke my force in 4 turns. 4 Turns! Every turn he hurled Gothmog through my orc ranks like a rag doll! Even my castillians couldn't match power with the troll! The new monster rules really make you feel like you're fighting a monster. Gothmog survived 3 of the 4 throws. Each hurl killed 3+ orcs. Oh and the troll expended 1 might by the end of the game.

Seriously, how do you keep pace with the new monsters? They are so powerful. The power creep is obvious. However, power creep aside, what options are available to counter monsters now? I thought of a few: Black Root Vale archers, magic, another monster, and various expensive heroes (More expensive than Gothmog as he was thrown around like a rag doll).

I'm not going to lie, my pride has been harmed after such a match, I killed a total of 2 of his goblins (granted, he saved 4 with fury). He KO'ed my army, every last piece. Even without Fury, he killed my orcs at such a high rate I couldn't keep pace no matter what tactic I used. I'm not complaining, I'm shell-shocked. I knew the new monster power attacks were good, but this was unbelievable! Monsters are *very* strong now!

I wouldnt say power creep. The old monsters and the new monsters are the same, just with new abilities.

Yes, they are super tough. I put three cave trolls in at 550 and demolished lines of Gondorians with hurls that game.

Like they said, wraiths, positioning and higher fight power creep new heroes against them. Thats it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think gil galad just became my favorite hero ;)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lol no kidding. How about new elrond with free heroic strike every turn?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

my last game my troll didn't cause a single wound.

if you roll bad, you roll bad.