All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:47 am

Post subject: The Mayor's Arrest
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My play-through of the new Scouring of the Shire scenarios continues with The Mayor's Arrest.

Come check it out if you're interested.

http://davetownsend.org/Battles/LotR-20191005/

Post subject: Re: The Mayor's Arrest
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In my flip throughs of Scouring of the Shire, I was thinking the boards where it is 2x2 and there are four hobbit holes to be a bit crowded. I haven't made any hobbit holes yet though so I tried not dwell upon that too much. With that said, these kinds of mistakes which the An Unexpected Journey scenarios seem to be rife with are a little disconcerting to see in the new book as I hoped GW had cleaned that sort of thing up.

With that said, the painting on your new models looks great and it seems like the scenario went pretty well and certainly true to the books which is once again great to see. My excitement level is growing as I read these reports :-D Are you considering playing the campaign for Scouring of the Shire at some point in the future? It seems like you might be on your way! :yay:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I always enjoy these playthroughs. If I may ask, how did you make the cabbages in the fields?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Kuribo: thanks again. As I mentioned in the Maggot's Farm report, I'm not too concerned with the scenario quality. Yeah, typos are annoying, and you'd hope GW would pay as much attention as Damien and Tom do for their (highly recommended) SBG magazine. But they do seem to be trying these days, which makes me more forgiving.

Also making me more forgiving: posting these reports and then going back to them after a couple of months to re-read them and having all the typos and inelegant phrasing leap out at me. How could I not have noticed that the first time? :)

I may get around to doing the campaign, but there are so many missing models and terrain that I need to build that it's pretty far off at this point.

GreatKhanArtist: The cabbages are made by wrapping a tiny ball of aluminum foil over round-headed push pins. Slap some green paint on 'em, a quick highlight, and then "plant" em by sticking the pin point in!

I got the idea from one of the final issues of Battle Games in Middle Earth. They recommended coating the pinhead in glue. I either used the wrong type or not enough, because it didn't do a very good job of holding the aluminum foil in place, which made the painting tricky. From memory, I think I used white glue so maybe try super glue instead?

Good luck!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Really enjoy the bat reps Dave. Nice job.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks, Stewhr!