All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:42 pm

Post subject: GKA's BC Adventure Path WIP
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Version 1.0. Feedback, playtests and critique very welcome!

Background: I bought a copy of the One Ring RPG "Tales from the Wilderland" earlier this year. After having a snoop through, I thought the stories would make for interesting Adventure Paths; a series of linked scenarios for your battle company to play. This is my take on the first adventure in the book. This is designed for Good players, as the One Ring RPG assumes your Fellowship is not in the thrall of the Dark Lord.

Map: This scenario is played on a 48" x 48" board. The board is populated with about 4 copses of trees, scattered about as you like. There are also a few large rocks likewise. A road runs from the NE to SW corner of the board. It terminates about 12" from either corner. The evil force deploys in a 6" border around the battlefield, but not on the road. The 6 baggage ponies (use riderless horses), Belgo and Baldor deploy in a 12" diameter ring in the middle of the board. The BC deploys on one edge of the road along the board corner, as the player likes.

Note: This scenario is based off the GW scenario "Loot" which is part of the Misty Mountains campaign originally published in WD. You can download the original at DCHL.com. It uses that map.

Story: The Battle Company has set out in search of its first adventure along the shores of Esgaroth. It doesn't want for battle long, as a shrill cry pierces the air. A young voice pleads for help! Through the meadow, a man tries to calm the ponies of a baggage caravan as thugs close in on him.

Note: Story-wise it seems silly for the Thugs to deploy so far away, but placing them close to the caravan is probably unfair for the BC player.

Set-up: Belgo and his young son are being accosted by traitorous caravan guards. These are represented by Ruffians (stats in "Armies of the LoTR") The Ruffians keep their special rule, however Belgo and Baldor replace any instance of the word "hobbit". These guys constitute the Evil force. There are a total of 70 pts of these guys, armed how the Evil player likes.

Belgo, Baldor's son, uses Freddy Bolger's stats. He can throw stones, but the magic resistance rule is nil in the scenario. Baldor, caravan master, uses the stats for a Lake Town Guard. He is armed with a spear.

The 6 baggage ponies are treated as unridden horses and have horse move rates, not pony. Place a marker on/under the base of each. This represents treasure.

Note:I chose Ruffians for their low point value and because they don't exist as a BC option. These models are out of print and you can sub something else if you like. In the original story, these guys were former solders in the employ of the Master of Lake Town. In the "Loot" scenario, I think 150 pts of evil Moria went up against 100 pts + captain of applicable race. This should be about even. I am trying to determine what would make Ruffians in the scenario even to the BC, so feedback is very welcome!

Goal: Both sides want the treasures held in the saddlebags of the caravan horses. The treasures are counted as light loads. Ponies move 2d6" in a direction chosen by the player with priority. This can move them off the board, in which case no one claims points for the treasure they carry. This can be used on treasure-less horses as well. They will not reenter play. Evil may claim a treasure by making base contact with a horse during the move phase. Each evil model may only have 1 treasure at a given time. Ponies also have no control zone, cannot be attacked and will not attack. They always back away from a fight. Evil may exit any table edge with a treasure.

The BC player must also protect Baldor. If he dies, the game is a loss for Good. Protecting Belgor will also earn the BC a roll on the treasure table.

The game ends when all the treasure tokens have left the board with the evil models or when each force is reduced to broken or if Baldor is killed.

Notes: In the original, there is no mention of Good being able to carry treasures. This might be something worth changing. If the BC holds all the treasures, they can win too. In this condition, they also could make contact with horses in the same manner as the Evil force, only they wouldn't steal from poor Baldor and wouldn't carry them off the board. Also, strangely, "Loot" has no turn timer other than evil possessing a certain number of treasures. I added the broken condition, as I felt this was pretty standard of the game. Protecting Baldor is necessary because the AP involves the BC being hired on as guards. No Baldor, no quest. Baldor and Belgo suck because no one wants to upstage the BC.

Post Game: How many treasures the BC recovers will affect how many rolls on the treasure table they get. Saving Belgo will give a +/-1 to any roll as the BC player chooses. Treasure upgrades are given to heroes first. Major Good victory: no treasures claimed by Evil. Minor Good victory: 2 treasures claimed by Evil. Minor Evil win: 4 treasures claimed by Evil. Major Evil win: all 6 treasures claimed by Evil. Story-wise, Baldor has hired on the BC to replace his traitorous guards and the treasures represent their pay for the upcoming journey. Baldor's next stop is a town where he takes time to trade and outfit the caravan and the BC plays 2 random games to represent this.

I haven't yet decided how many rolls on the treasure table the BC will get for each victory condition. Obviously recovering no treasures will result in no rolls. The BC also gains experience as usual. I also haven't made a treasure table.

So as you can see, still very much a work in progress. :oops: I'm also considering giving Baldor a wagon and letting the good player place treasures in here as part of their win condition. Of course, evil can still steal from the wagon, much like the game we played at camp. Although this could make for a fun second part to the AP!

Post subject: Re: GKA's BC Adventure Path WIP
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:33 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Version 1.0 "Capture the Bags"

Background: This is based on a game we played with the kids at camp. Perhaps you've played it? This version takes no prisoners, however.

Map: a 48x48" board with a river along one edge. The board is scattered with copses of trees and the odd rock as before. This is the edge of the Mirkwood so ruins or statues can replace some of the trees and rocks.

Story:The traders Baldor (and hopefully Belgo) have dismissed their ponies. The Battle Company and their employer now camp, waiting on the edge of the Mirkwood for their elven allies to ferry them along the river. However, they are abruptly awoken in the night, only to find half their baggage missing! It appears orcs from the hills are responsible.

Set Up:The BC and the orcs start diagonally opposite each other in the corners. Each has half of the treasure markers to start with. (You can use coloured stones to represent the treasures.) Treasures count as a light load.

Note: I'm not sure how many treasure tokens to have in this game. 6 was the amount in the last game, but the BC is supposed to have 2 games to gain XP before meeting up with the caravan again. This represents Baldor trading in town while they adventure.

Note: I'm not sure to allow the orcs to have wargs or not. They would go faster, but there would be less of them. They could also charge the BC. Likewise, a swarm of goblins could be fun. Slower than most BCs, but able to have backup for stealing treasures. Also, being in the dark will likely apply rules for reduced shooting.

Goal: Each party wants all the treasures for itself. The game ends at the end of the turn in which one force controls all the treasures, or one force is Broken.

End Game: Rewards are based on how many treasures the BC has before/if it is broken.

Note: Having this game at night could be fun, reducing the effectiveness of archers. Additionally, it might be fun to have a part 1 using the sentry rules, where the Evil forces starts with as many treasures as it can before X number of its thieves are spotted. This will create a variable number of treasures in their pool and possibly number of models the Evil player has to use in part 2.