All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

Post subject: Three Player Scenarios?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Does anyone have any generic three player scenarios? My local group is only three players, so either someone sits out or I need to come up with a three player scenario.

The main issue I have in mind is incentivizing the players to engage each other. X might love to see Y and Z slug it out and then come in to pick up the pieces, but if Y and Z are both trying the same strategy the game could devolve into everyone sitting in their corner waiting for someone else to fight.

One thing that struck me was some sort of modified Hold Ground where being in the center has perks or Heirlooms where grabbing an item has perks.

Anyone already invented the wheel on this one?
 Post subject: Re: Three Player Scenarios?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've given this some thought and I had two ideas...

First one is somewhat obvious, instead of all 3 of you bringing 700 pts armies, instead have two people bring 500 pts and the 3rd brings 1000 pts and you do an actual 2 vs 1 game. Switch it up from week to week so that everyone plays with each other and also against each other. Plus, going up to 1000 pts allows you to bring more of the "fun" pricier options that are often tougher to fit into normal 600 pt or 700 pt armies

Another option that I've thought about which would require a more detailed write up than is seen here, is a "guard the prize/obtain the prize" 3-way scenario. Something like this:

- Player A puts half his force guarding Prize 1, and Player B has half his force trying to go get it
- Player B puts the other half of his force guarding Prize 2, and Player C has half his force trying to go get it
- Player C puts the other half his force guarding Prize 3, and Player A has the other half his force trying to go get it

Does that make sense ? Probably need at least a 6'x4' board to do this properly without it turning into a big slog in the middle, but might be worth a try.

Let me know if you try this 2nd option, I haven't done it myself but would curious to see if it works well or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Me and my two brothers play three player battles every now and again.

We use a system I half stole from DC Hobbit League's Chaos in Arda but it works really well.

Basically put a central objective (tower, fountain, statue) on the board.

Take turns to deploy a warband at a time, anywhere on the board outside of 6" of the objective and any enemy model.

Draw three cards from this deck (https://www.mediafire.com/file/rwua8iv1 ... attles.pdf). Players can cash in the cards once complete for the victory points on the card. They can trade or swap one card out each turn but must let the other players know.

You'll have to make some stuff up as you go and it's version one but so far it's been some of the best games of lotr we've ever had.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

We quite often play 3-way games in this and other games. Many are based on one player holding a fortification or position in which there is treasure, one or more hostages, prisoners, magic item, secret weapon etc. The other two (or more players) have reasonably small forces to capture their particular treasure. So Player A in the Tower/fort/village/cave etc has to hold on to the treasures. Player B wants his treasure and deprive A and C of theirs. And Player C wants his treasure and deprive A and B. All three forces may have "patrols" out that may arrive at random to intercept any raiders making off with treasure. So the players have the problem of getting the treasure and then getting away with possibility of an enemy patrol appearing.

There are endless variations of this.

Also Player A in in the centre holding a waterhole, supply dump. bridge etc. On each side are smaller forces coming to get him. Can he defeat one before the other arrives?

Player A has conducted a successful raid and is driving captured cattle, slaves and waggons full of food/treasure homeward. Players B & C are rival brigands, pursuing forces and the winners are those that get away with the most loot/rescued property.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:43 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've done a few three way games after the fashion of the ones dadlamassu talked about. But when we did one player in the center they had a smaller force and a good fort which they were trying to keep from two attackers, with larger forces, that wanted the fort. The guy in the fort usually got wiped out if the game went on to long but a time limit or a relief force helped that somewhat.

I have also had it were the third player was in control of a neutral allied things, like ghosts or wargs or what have you, that were just supposed to attack based on proximity while the two other players were forced by objectives to go near them. That might not be quite what you had in mind but it made for some interesting games I thought.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks all! We had the game with a modified Hierlooms of Ancient Past and it went fine (I lost, but you know, the *mechanics* went fine).
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

All of these scenarios are really interesting and seem like they could lead to some great games

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40