All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

Post subject: Son's first game
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My son has been watching me paint minis since he was born. The rule was, he cant touch them. Until today! We played with one warband each. I used cirion with a band of womt and he used an easterling capt with some troops to match. As i pulled all my minis out he said, "finally! I've waited so long to play with these!" (He's 6).

Additionally, we used the streamlined rules created by broken spirits, immortal dark age fantasy. Limiting his move was difficult for him but we played all the way thru and we had a good time.
 Post subject: Re: Son's first game
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Haha awesome to hear. How old is the guy? And are the Easterlings his favorite or just simpler?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

He will be 6 in August. He chose the Easterlings. I opened up my case and asked him what he wants to use and he told me, "I'll be these guys (the easterlings) and you be Gondor." We live in a village called Gondorf so he has learned Gondor pretty quickly. In fact, one of his favorite things to do is take his wooden sword and run around the house screaming, "For Gondor!"

Oh, and Two Towers is one of his favorite movies.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

jdizzy001 wrote:
He will be 6 in August. He chose the Easterlings. I opened up my case and asked him what he wants to use and he told me, "I'll be these guys (the easterlings) and you be Gondor." We live in a village called Gondorf so he has learned Gondor pretty quickly. In fact, one of his favorite things to do is take his wooden sword and run around the house screaming, "For Gondor!"

Oh, and Two Towers is one of his favorite movies.

That's awesome! Hahahaa for Gondorf!!! Lol.

So cool he can finally be part of it with you. Always cool to see new people especially younger get into it. Hopefully one day when I have kids it will be the same.

Easterlings are a nice looking force to start with.

You mentioned you played with different rules?? Why's that?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I didnt want to deal with the wound chart. Additionally, the rule set for Immortal was designed to be a streamlined version of LOTR. Upon reading the intro rule scenario, I realized just how streamlined it is. To me, the "perfect" edition of LOTR wound swap out the wound chart for immortal's wound system. That is the one thing I abhor about LOTR, the wound chart. It bogs the game down way too much.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow you think so? I've never had an issue. How does that games wounding work?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Duels are resolved as normal, comparing dice and fight values. Damage is calculated differently. After a winner is determined you roll strikes, nothing new. Determining which strike hits is a different story. All humans and i include orcs, goblins and uruks in that, are wounded on a 4+, from there you can Increase the wound threshold depending on the critter and special rules. The game immortal has it divided up like this: humanoids 4+, angles/demons 5+, and immortals 6+. To mimic that LOTR could do something like: Humans! Orcs, goblins & uruks 4+, monsters 5+, & spirits 6+. I was also playing with the idea of sliding that up to 5+ for. Humanoids and 6+ for monsters and spirits. Once strikes has been determined the person being struck can make armor saves (one per wound) to prevent damage. No armor = no save, just armor or just a shield allows for a save on a 6, armor & a shield or just hvy armor saves on a 5+ and heavy armor and a shield saves on a 4+. Just as with wound threshold you can slide that up or down for special rules, big critters and heavier armor such as mithril. I imagine as mithril as is awards a def bonus of three, then wearing just mithril would allow for a save on a 4+. So mithril and a shield would be a save on a 3+. Does that make sense?

It also cuts profiles down from FSDWC M/W/F to FWC M/W/F as the S is replaced with a roll based on your models "race" and the D is replaced with an armor save. No more damage chart :)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That seems like a good system for sure but I have most of the wound chart memorized anyway and since this was the first table top game I got used to it and don't care.

I also find it more fun needing 6/4 for some things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Its an interesting idea to have an alternative wound system - i see how it works and that makes sense but I guess doesnt account for the point that captains are among the strongest of their race and so while the base troop wounds on pretty much the same every time captains can wound enemies easier. This system wouldnt account for that but would treat all humans the same irrespective of strength - ie i would expect a warrior or a captain to be stronger due to better handling of weapons than a militiaman or fisherman from laketown.

Personally I found once you play regularly you learn the wound chart by heart because so many of the rolls are common throughout - strength 2/3 attacking defence 5/6 being the most common and it operates fairly logically all the way along as if the defence is 3 more than strength it is 6 to wound, 2 more is 5, 1 more is 5, same is 4 and so on.

for me a system where you can wound a monster like a cave troll on a 5 is a little unlikely as a basic puny warrior - and that cave troll would have no armour potentially apart from its skin.

Armour saves in LOTR would be amusing - the only other time anything like that popped up was with fury from various shaman.

I like the idea - however doesnt it actually mean more dice are rolled then normal rather than less as you need to win then wound currently whereas you have a roll off to win, then strikes then saves.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, more dice are rolled, but on a personal note I would rather roll more dice than have to consult a table after each roll. I know folks memorize the wound chart but I dont want to do that.

Your concern about wounding all humans on the same number is valid. But as pippin said, "Even the mightiest hero can be slain by a single arrow." That aside, there are special rule which can afford a hero a high wound threshold.

In regards to monsters The need to roll a 5 as opposed to a 4 is the result of being thick skinned. One could also afford them an armor save. I appreciate the feedback.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think the wound chart works fine easy enough to learn there is a major pattern in it too. Quite the easy algorithm really see bellow
3+ When strength is 2 or more higher than enemy defence
4+ when Strength is equal or 1 higher than the enemy Defence
5+ When Strength is 1 or 2 lower than enemy Defence
6 When S is 3 or 4 lower than enemy defence
6/4 When S is 5 lower than enemy defence
6/5 When S is 6 lower than enemy D
6/6 When S is 7 lower than enemy D
-/- impossible to wound, ie not strong enough

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think j's wound chart is good for a game between Romans and gauls or something but in a game of Tolkein, heroic things and game changing strikes are much more important.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It is a great wound chart for a dad who doesn't want to explain GW's chart to his 6 year old son ;)

PS- That 6 year old now asks to play minis everyday. :)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ha-ha excellent. I understand it's better for a younger guy but I think the rest of us would complain about it knowing the old system. But its a wargame. Everyone can adjust to their own system.