Poll ended at Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:30 am
Army 1 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Army 2 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: 300pt Army Decision
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:30 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So I have a 300pt tournament coming up and am looking to get input into which army people prefer? I've always wanted to run an all mounted harad force before and figured this would be a good points level to start

Only limitations on the tournament is that heroes/monsters can't add up to more than 150pts.

ARMY 1

Warband 1
The Betrayer w. armored horse
6 x Haradrim Raiders w. lance/bow
6 x Serpent Guard

Warband 2
Fell Warg

ARMY 2

Warband 1
Haradrim King w. horse/lance
3 x Serpent Guard
3 x Haradrim Raider w. lance/bow

Warband 2
Haradrim King w. horse/lance/bow
3 x Serpent Guard
2 x Haradrim Raider w. lance/bow

Would be awesome to hear your thoughts/feedback!
 Post subject: Re: 300pt Army Decision
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I guess that for Army 1, you have actually meant to select Serpent Riders, and not Serpent Guards?

If so, is not the total 303 points, which would normally not be allowed for a tournament..?

I would go for Army 2, because it does not contain Fell Wargs :P
But I do like the Betrayer and his Special Rules, which can boost your wounding, which you need.. So perhaps if you got rid of the Fell Wargs, as you did want an all mounted Harad army..

For Army 2 you could drop the Bow on the Haradrim King, and field another Haradrim Raider, so that you increase the points to a total of exactly 300.

Not sure how competitive that list would be, but at least it would be a balanced one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Army Two. The betrayer is not great and not worth his special rule at this level.

Go all combat for all mounted.

Be extremely careful. I've used all mounted Harad 3 times and they've always underperformed.

You have to pick your fights well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

2nd one. You'll only encounter a single strong hero at this points level (at most), which means that the magic won't be that useful. More importantly, two Kings add much more to the army in another way: Might. Cavalry that doesn't charge is dead cavalry, especially when they're all Defence 4. A mounted King with lance is also pretty scary on the charge, with decent Fight, 6 strikes (vs knocked down infantry) with +1 to wound. A pair of those will certainly unnerve your opponent.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
You have a 50% bow limit, and will be down on model count. With the speed of the horses, you can avoid combat and keep shooting better than most infantry armies, and you can shoot from a flank from 24" away to minimize their return fire.

If you can whittle down their forces a bit, you will be much better off once combat starts.

Against a heavy shooting army, having your own shooting should still help a bit, since your bow limit will still be relatively high with the cheap Haradrim cavalry, and by killing off some of their shooting with your own, you might get a few more models into combat than you would otherwise.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Asamu wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
You have a 50% bow limit, and will be down on model count. With the speed of the horses, you can avoid combat and keep shooting better than most infantry armies, and you can shoot from a flank from 24" away to minimize their return fire.

If you can whittle down their forces a bit, you will be much better off once combat starts.

Against a heavy shooting army, having your own shooting should still help a bit, since your bow limit will still be relatively high with the cheap Haradrim cavalry, and by killing off some of their shooting with your own, you might get a few more models into combat than you would otherwise.

I only meant magic opposed to fighting.

After all combat is just conflict not hand to hand or cqb.