All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm

Post subject: Balin's Tomb
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I finally put the Balin's Tomb that I made a couple months ago to use. I've got a battle report posted on at http://www.davetownsend.org/Battles/LotR-20150517/ if you'd like to check it out.

Post subject: Re: Balin's Tomb
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice report and fantastic scenery.
I don't agree with your rule to take away the hobbits' weaknesses. The hobbits are the Fellowship's only weak point, and rules like "kill three members" reflects their desire to protect the hobbits and see them safely to Mordor. Without the burden of having to strategically take out goblin bowmen or hide the hobbits safely, the scenario becomes even more unbalanced. With Gandalf's Blinding Light, the hobbits should already be well protected, and they don't need extra rules or cover as a guard.
Related to that is the fact that Merry and Pippin only count as half a victory point each. The rest of the Fellowship are, in your words, tanks, and mere goblins don't have the hitting power needed to take out two of them - unless their lives are heroically and cinematically thrown away in hapless defence of the innocent hobbits. The goal should be guard and protect the hobbits from the onslaught, not have Boromir and Aragorn scythe through three dozen goblins alone. The hobbits are the weak points in these scenarios, and as you said, you found it one-sided in favour of Good; so why remove their only weakness?
Sorry this turned into an editorial. It was a nice battle all the same.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice battle mate, enjoyed reading that. It's funny all the years I've been in the hobby and I've still not played Balin's Tomb.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the feedback, even where you disagree. :) And I'm curious if you found the "Who's Who?" rule objectionable, too? For my part, it grows nettles under my tongue when the Evil player targets Merry & Pippin because (s)he knows the stats, unlike the "actual" characters. Hence the randomization, which still puts the hobbits in potential danger (as indeed reflected in my report) but prevents Evil from gaming the system.

In my mind, "tank" really only applies to Gimli, Aragorn, and Boromir. It would be shocking if one of those guys died in the course of the scenario. But Legolas and Gandalf are not unkillable, and I think a Good player that risks them too often, or an Evil player that gets lucky enough, can take them down.

Thanks again for the thoughts!