All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

Post subject: Girion's Patrol - Part Three
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello again, another scenario pitting Girion of Dale against the troublesome goblins. Following on from the last scenario I've based this off the Lothlorien scenario from the Fellowship journey book.

The recent night raid by the goblins had left Girion and his men on edge. Not wishing to tarry any longer in the wilderness, the Lord and his retainers started on their way to Esgaroth - the old town on the lake. The men of Dale will need all of their remaining strength if they are to make it through the many goblins still scattered throughout the wilds.

Forces

The good force consists of Girion leading 5 warriors of Dale and a Laketown militia captain leading 3 laketown militia.

The evil force consists of Grinnah leading 12 goblins and a goblin captain leading 12 goblins.

Layout

2' by 4' board sparsely filled with vegetation. The good side deploys Girion and the warriors of Dale between 8" and 14" on from the short table edge. The evil side then deploys Grinnah and 12 goblins up to 6" on from the short table edge.

Objectives

The good side wins if Girion can escape from the opposite short table edge. The evil side will win if Girion is slain.

Special Rules
Fight and Flight
The men of Dale have a head start and so have priority in the first turn. However they are still fatigued and so Girion cannot perform Heroic marches and he and his men may not participate in them in this game. Furthermore neither side will count as broken in this scenario.
Wanderers in the Wild
As Girion and his men get closer to Esgaroth they draw attention to themselves from both friend and foe.
If any model is within 12" of the far short table edge at the end of the movement phase then the Laketown militia move on from that edge as reinforcements.
At the end of each evil movement phase, roll a D6. Move this many goblins on as reinforcements from a side chosen by the player with priority.

Deployment

Girion deployed in the centre flanked by his shield bearers. Split off from them were the archers who hoped to slow down the pursuing goblins with their bow fire. Grinnah hid behind his goblins who were packed together to make advantage of his forced march.

Turn 1

The goblins march after the men in pursuit. Two goblins fall dead from precision bow fire. A single goblin wanders onto the board.

Turn 2

Priority goes to the good side. Girion again moves up whilst the archers move up half to try and keep pace. Grinnah whips his goblins forward in a forced march after them. Five goblins including their captain move on to the board. The single goblin who wandered on the turn before is taken down by the archers.

Turn 3

Evil take priority. A heroic move is called by Girion to keep the distance between him and his pursuers who again march up in pursuit. Two more goblin reinforcements show up and the archers break into a run to get into the action.

Turn 4

Priority returns to the good side. The newly arrived goblin captain spurs his fighters to try and surround Girion but is countered by a heroic move from the lord who charges a pair of goblins on his flank. A further goblin arrives as the rest of the forces move up. The goblins in combat with Girion prove particularly vicious causing a wound on him which even his fate point can't prevent.

Turn 5

It looked like the men were about to get away but a move by the goblin captain surrounds them and leaves them in a very dangerous situation. Drawn to the melee, local militia men arrive on the scene along with the rest of the goblin raiders. The combat is brutal, Girion and Grinnah prove even both bringing an enemy down. Two men and one goblin are also slain. One of Girion's shield bearers shows his worth by beating back a group of attackers.

Turn 6

The militia captain calls a heroic move with his men after seeing Lord Girion in danger who is again surrounded. Another archer and one more goblin are killed in the brutal combat. In a desperate situation Girion fights like a lion, beating off his attackers and hacking down two goblins with his blade.

Turn 7

With luck on their side, priority goes to the good side. The militia captain drags Girion away from the goblins. He looks back to see three men overwhelmed as they try to stall their pursuers.

Turn 8

Priority goes to the evil side. With his remaining might the militia captain leads Girion away. Grinnah tries to get close enough to lash at the men with his whip but it is too late. Turn 9 gives priority to the good side who make good their escape.

Review

This was good fun to play, there were moments where it really could have gone either way. It was probably weighted towards the goblins, I think Girion did get very lucky to get away!

With Girion safely in Esgaroth I will be taking a short break. When I return I'm planning of playing through the Ruin of Arnor source book which has caught my interest. I hope you enjoyed this and keep an eye out for my future scenarios.

Post subject: Re: Girion's Patrol - Part Three
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great scenario. I'm enjoying this campaign.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
 Post subject: Re: Girion's Patrol - Part Three
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great fun reading through your adventures with Girion, keep it up! :D