All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:27 pm

Post subject: Girion's Patrol - Part Two
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello, following on from my previous scenario I have another small battle pitting the men of Dale against goblins and this time a monstrous troll. This one is based off the Hounds of Sauron scenario in the Fellowship source-book, after seeing it played on the GBHL channel I thought it looked like fun but I decided that I would do a twist on it.

**Pictures added!**

After their previous encounter with the goblins, Girion had thought that the creatures would have fled back to their dark holes in the ground. Sadly although he had not been able to save the unfortunate elf that had been taken captive by the goblins, he was able to find his journal intact which might shed some light on his story. After laying the elf to rest, Girion set to reading the journal as he and his men rested around a camp-fire that night - he did not get far before shadows crept in around the tree line...

Forces
The good side consists of Girion and 5 warriors of Dale. The evil side consists of 9 Goblins and 1 Cave Troll.

Layout
2'x2' board with a camp-fire in the middle of a clearing of trees. The good side deploy within 3" of the camp-fire. The evil side moves the goblins onto the board on turn 1.

Objectives
The good side wins if Girion survives until the end of turn 12, the evil side win if they can prevent this.

Special Rules
Stay in the Light
All good models must stay within 6" of the camp-fire (unless forced out, upon which they must make their best effort to return to the area). All good models have +1 defence whist within 6" of the camp-fire.
Quality vs Quantity
The men of Dale accompanying Girion are amongst his most loyal and will defend him to the last whilst the goblins attacking are part of a larger force - neither side will count as broken during this game.
Like moths to a flame
As the fight rages on, more goblins will be attracted to the scene. Any goblins slain will be moved back on in the next turn from a board edge chosen by the player with priority.
On Turn 8 the troll arrives from a random board edge, all goblins flee the board and will no longer enter play as reinforcements.

Turn 1

The first turn goes to the goblins, they sneak into the area through the gaps in the trees. The men of Dale form up to meet the attackers but their bows only manage to hit shadows.

Turn 2

The goblins close in around the camp-fire. Another round of bow fire shoots down another goblin but they keep coming.

Turn 3

Swords are drawn as the goblins leering faces are lit up by the fire. Two of them are cut down but it does not dissuade them from their attack.

Turn 4

Girion orders his men to hold. Neither side manages to gain an advantage in the melee.

Turn 5

Evil gains priority and the goblins trap the men. One of the bowmen is fatally wounded by the attackers.

Turn 6

A heroic move is called by Girion who reforms his men into a better positions. The manoeuvre pays off when three goblins are slain.

Turn 7

Priority goes to the evil side again, trapping the men. Girion finds himself facing multiple attackers. The combat is brutal with one man and three goblin casualties.

Turn 8

A mighty roar booms through the clearing which scatters the rest of the goblins. The men steel themselves as a huge troll heads straight for the camp-fire. Two arrows hit the troll but bounce harmlessly off it's thick hide.

Turn 9

Arrows are loosed at the troll, Girion manages to cause a wound but the troll keeps coming.

Turn 10

A brave (silly) archer charges the troll but is picked up and flung through the air into some bushes away from the camp-fire. :yay:

Turn 11

Priority goes to the good side. The two men left near Girion charge the troll to protect their lord whilst the archer brushes himself down and moves back towards the fight. Girion backs off, perhaps looking for an opportunity to fire at the troll - it doesn't look like he will get one however, the troll barges the men out of the way with ease and charges 6" straight towards him!

Turn 12

The evil side win priority. Girion is just out of 6" to call "With me!" so decides to take the charge. His men rush in to help. Using his last point of might Girion calls a heroic strike. With the help of his men, he manages to beat back the troll but does not manage to slay it. As it readies for another attack, dawn comes and turns the monster to stone - ending the game!

Review

This one was quite fun, perhaps not quite the same without the fellowship but it's a good idea to base a scenario on. The troll was added in to shake things up a bit towards the end and it turned out pretty well.

Let me know if you enjoyed this, I will probably do another one of these little battles as I have lots more men of Dale and goblin town to paint so can use this as motivation to get them finished.

Post subject: Re: Girion's Patrol - Part Two
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Really enjoyed that! Board and models look lovely and the report managed to be succinct and engrossing. Looking forward to more!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you very much :)

I have so much to paint at the moment I am just wondering what to start on next..I'm thinking some fell wargs and some Lake-town millitia (painted Red to fit more into the Dale army) with a captain but we'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:24 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great report.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well as soon as you get some more stuff done put some pics up! Narrative reports which have great scenery and painting are fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I loved this report. Do you have any WIPs on how you did your board?

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great after action report and it sounds like a fun game! Now, you've made me want to go and buy some Warriors of Dale and Girion and give it a try myself. :yay:

“The Ring has awoken, it’s heard its masters call.”
– Gandalf
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you guys.

Also the board is very simple, no WIP pictures - it is one of the plastic tiles from GW painted and flocked with the paint set they did with it (brown, dry brushed with ochre then static grass glued on). The ruins are from the ruins of Osgiliath set, the camp-fire from the three trolls and the trees are ones I picked up from a local hobby shop. All of the foliage is simply lichen/random bits scattered around the board.