All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 pm

Post subject: Battle of Dale
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Points Value - 855 for each force with potential to be bigger.

For best and most interesting experience, best played out with the good side being in the fortress/castle.

For the purpose of fun and variety, I decided to include different models and troops. All models listed are the ones I currently have myself.

Good Model List:

Dain Ironfoot (hopefully gets released later)
King Brand of Dale (use Bard Girion's Heir profile and model)
Thorin Stonehelm (use Thorin Oakenshield from Unexpected Journey profile without any upgrades, for model could use Thrain for example)
Bard II (use Bard the Bowman profile and model from DoS rulebook)
Warriors of Dale (x20-24)
*Warriors of Erebor (x12)
*Grim Hammers (x12)

*Alternatively you could use Dwarf Warriors or Rangers if you wish, or find another way to mix those units up.

Evil Model List:

Easterling War Priest on Foot
Khandish King on Foot
Easterling Captains on Foot (x2)
Mounted Easterling Captain
Dragon Knight on Foot
Easterling Banner on Foot
Easterling Archers (x6)
Easterling Warriors (x24)
Easterling Cataphracts (x5)
Easterling Black Dragons (x12)
Khandish Horsemen (x2)
Khandish Warriors (x10)

Both forces match in points! If you want to try that out - have fun! :)
 Post subject: Re: Battle of Dale
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

There's no need for castles: the battle of Dale was fought outside Dale, and then the Esterling forced them to retreat into the mountain.
Old Dain is good enough for this battle. After all, the profile in the "free peoples" does not show Dain at is peak, but near the end of his life.

I think Good Side should have fewer points, considering that they field 4 powerful heroes and that the Esterling army, as it is, has no way to match them
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I actually looked at the rough ratio of the battle and I think there are 3 ways to balance it out:

1. Add 2 more warbands to the Easterling army

2. Add 1 warband to the Easterlings and take away one Warriors of Dale Warband from the good guys.

3. For each evil model slain, roll a D6 and on a 5+ it just re-enters the battlfield from the Evil deployment side. That does not apply to heroes, only regular troops.

In the battle description it states that they were still severely outnumbered and their victory call was when Easterling army started breaking upon recieving the news of the ring being destroyed, which is when dwarves and men of Dale rallied and driven them back.

I will try to experiment with these ideas and see how they work on the gameplay.

By the way, the Free Peoples book has been sold out pretty much everywhere I looked. On eBay they are hardly available anymore and prices on them go up so much lol

Is it possible to find specific stats of some characters from that book? I need Dain and Gimli, especially the points values, options (if any) and special rules. ststs are included in the Hobbit main book in the reference section.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The One ring rulebook (the big blue one) has the stats and rules for Dain and Gimli in, they havent changed.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:09 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks very much! Glad you pointed that out, since it stopped me from buying the Free Peoples sourcebook for a ridiculous price on eBay :)

Also, after experimenting with some gameplay (not all the models featured in the list though), I can already see that Dain is just way too tough to kill. If he was defense 8, that would have been better, but defense 9 just seems too unrealistic even for somebody as brutal and battlehardened as Mr Ironfoot imho. If GW does release his Hobbit movie version, I hope hi stats are gonna be redone completely.