All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

Post subject: Re: The Siege of Helm's Deep Mega-Battle Report
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Goodness me. Simply awesome.

No offense to WOTR players but you just got to love the individuality of the models!

The closing remarks certainly brought a tear to my eye. I totally agree: this game shines in scenario battles. It’s nice to simply just have fun for a change without worrying about point sink models or cheese.

Great stuff :yay:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Firstly, thanks so much for all the great comments. It took a long time to write up the scenario thread, write up the report, upload all the photos and paste them in the right places but reading all these wonderful comments makes it completely worthwhile. I know this is the kind of content i like to sink my teeth into so if other users are enjoying what I've put up then that's great. Massive thanks to everyone who commented and/or enjoyed :yay:

Thorin wrote:
One thing I noticed while viewing the pictures: Are some of those on square bases?

Hah, indeed they are, I don't know the whole story behind them but I believe they belong to Dwarfendale - perhaps he could expand?!?! To be honest I didn't see them much throughout the game as I ended up (as Southy hinted!) being seconded into helping lead Mauhur's assault on the Hornburg and, thanks to the fabulous terrain, literally couldn't see all the Good models behind the Deeping Wall!

Celevue wrote:
As I said before, we will most likely invoke many similar meta-rules for our forthcoming Helm's Deep scenario, so your playtesting is much appreciated. We only wish we'd have a couple of more players in the large battles...

Thanks, that's great to hear, both of your campaign threads are hugely inspirational so if I've returned the favour a little that's great to know. Sorry to hear you don't have more players but it only makes the achievements of you and your friend that much more impressive. For my part I wished I lived somewhere near Finland to get involved in the incredible games and terrain you guys put on!

Knife in the Dark wrote:
Although it was interesting to read that this happened in February apparently. :wink:

I have NO IDEA what you're talking about, the report CLEARLY says January *cough cough* :oops:

tom_foolery wrote:
I would say that as one of the new players involved in the scenario, it was actually the perfect way to be introduced to the game in spite of the daunting scale of the game, since I was helped out in all phases by the experienced guys on my team, and feel like I really learned a lot through doing it. Hope to play a game with you again soon, once I've painted some models.

That's great to hear James, it was really good to meet you and I'm glad you enjoyed the game and got a good grasp of the rules. I think maybe this kind of laid-back, fun narrative scenario is really great to get people into the game. The spectacle looks amazing, it's a part of the film you recognise, all your favourite characters are present etc. Normal SBG points match games are brilliant fun but you don't often see Aragorn and Gandalf the White running around so it's great to just have a laugh and get all the cool toys on the board together. Really glad you enjoyed it and I hope to catch you at Titans for a game soon.

Dorthonion wrote:
One question (if I may be so hasty): no Huorns? As it lasted 7 hours already, that would have been a bit much. But next time...

It's a fair point and it was considered, I think ultimately I decided against it as we were getting towards the right scale - if you look at the deployment pics of the Deeping Wall it's 'full' and we weren't actually that far off the actual numbers from the movie (300+the elves according to the movie and we had about 200 models). If we had Hurons turn up we'd probably only have been able to rustle up about 5 Ents which would have perhaps looked a bit anaemic. There was consideration of using the 60 odd free standing trees available to us as Huorns at the end but ultimately, as Southy says, I knew there wouldn't really be any Uruks left to flee into the forest (there were only 9 left outside the fortress at the end!). It could certainly be a cool twist for next time though, might be worth thinking about, I guess we played the theatrical cut of the battle rather than the extended! :-)

Knife in the Dark wrote:
I hope you get to do another game like this in the future, maybe find a bargain Minas Tirith...

hollowcrown wrote:
Next up....Minas Tirith?

SouthernDunedain wrote:
I think discussions for next year involved ended with suggestions of helms deep or the Battle of Five Armies.

Dwarfendale wrote:
looking forward to the battle of the five armies next year! :-D

Indeed, next year is already something to look forward to! We played the first version of this scenario in December 2012 so an SBG Mega-Battle at Titans around Christmas certainly seems to be becoming an annual thing.

The siege of Minas Tirith/Battle of the Pelennor fields would certainly be a cool scenario and very much the same style as the Helm's Deep one so would work well. I think it might be slightly harder to source the minis though, EVERYONE seems to have acquired a bunch of Fighting Uruk-Hai and Rohan warriors (probably something to do with BGIME and the fact that they were the first 'real' plastic armies available for SBG) but I don't think there's the same prevalence of stuff for Minas Tirith. That said, I'm sure we could gather enough Gondor/Rohan & Mordor/Morannon/Harad to make a big old game, could be worth a go. The scenery would be the main thing, not sure I know anyone who's got a board's worth of White wall sections - of course if we go by the book then the first ring of Minas Tirith should be black but I think I'd stick to the film versions again. Definitely worth pursuing though.

The Battle of Five Armies looks most tempting due to the fact the third film will have come out and if we do it in january again we will have seen how it plays out on screen. It should be fairly easy to get everything together for that assuming that people are willing to allow Mordor/Morannon orcs etc. to stand in for Hunter orcs. My biggest concern would be that you don't just want a big ruck in the middle; Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith work at this scale because different forces turn up at different times and are fighting across the length of the board, you don't just have 7000 points of troops having a ruck in the middle of the field. I think we'll have to wait and see how PJ portrays TBOFA on screen to see if it would make a fun SBG game rather than a very impressive looking spectacle that wasn't much fun to play.

These are all good problems to have however, it's great to see how much the SBG scene has grown in the last 2 years, hopefully we can keep it up and keep this incredible game going from strength to strength.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes indeed I brought along a few figures with square bases, brought them off ebay years ago. Wouldn't use them in a tournament but in games like this when mass figures are needed and the number one goal is fun, then don't see any issue with it myself.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dr Grant wrote:
Indeed, next year is already something to look forward to! We played the first version of this scenario in December 2012 so an SBG Mega-Battle at Titans around Christmas certainly seems to be becoming an annual thing.

The siege of Minas Tirith/Battle of the Pelennor fields would certainly be a cool scenario and very much the same style as the Helm's Deep one so would work well. I think it might be slightly harder to source the minis though, EVERYONE seems to have acquired a bunch of Fighting Uruk-Hai and Rohan warriors (probably something to do with BGIME and the fact that they were the first 'real' plastic armies available for SBG) but I don't think there's the same prevalence of stuff for Minas Tirith. That said, I'm sure we could gather enough Gondor/Rohan & Mordor/Morannon/Harad to make a big old game, could be worth a go. The scenery would be the main thing, not sure I know anyone who's got a board's worth of White wall sections - of course if we go by the book then the first ring of Minas Tirith should be black but I think I'd stick to the film versions again. Definitely worth pursuing though.

The Battle of Five Armies looks most tempting due to the fact the third film will have come out and if we do it in january again we will have seen how it plays out on screen. It should be fairly easy to get everything together for that assuming that people are willing to allow Mordor/Morannon orcs etc. to stand in for Hunter orcs. My biggest concern would be that you don't just want a big ruck in the middle; Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith work at this scale because different forces turn up at different times and are fighting across the length of the board, you don't just have 7000 points of troops having a ruck in the middle of the field. I think we'll have to wait and see how PJ portrays TBOFA on screen to see if it would make a fun SBG game rather than a very impressive looking spectacle that wasn't much fun to play.

These are all good problems to have however, it's great to see how much the SBG scene has grown in the last 2 years, hopefully we can keep it up and keep this incredible game going from strength to strength.

Everyone's got at least a box of Orcs in BGiME, same with Gondorians and you can just re-use the Rohan riders that everyone has got as well. Add a few Mumaks too. They're still some of the more common forces around it's just that for a large part of the game only Gandalf and Pippin are around. Some special rules with Denethor and all the [word deleted] going on there would be cool too, it'd be a much more mental scenario than Helm's Deep.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd love to see a Siege of Minas Tirith scenario myself. With the number of people that you have (and who knows maybe you can get a couple of others involved by next year) I think you've got a good chance of pulling it off. If say everyone only had 24 WOMT each then that would still add up to a sizeable number of models.

I haven't had chance to read the whole report yet but the pictures are awesome (loads of well painted miniatures and a great board).
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great battle report, really good read! However, when Haldir died, I don't think his special rule was used where when he is struck down he still gets a final strike. Was this a player's choice maybe?

-Clone Cadets Echo and Droidbait
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It was either A) forgotten or B) happened, failed to wound and not relayed to Dr G.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
It was either A) forgotten or B) happened, failed to wound and not relayed to Dr G.

Ok. Really hard to track special rules, I've done that even in small warband-vs-warband skrimishes!

-Clone Cadets Echo and Droidbait
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeah it happened, he made his swing but failed to kill the Beserker - shame really!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:00 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

One word... EPIC!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Really awesome report. I am slightly jealous... I think to myself one day I will be able to play such an epic game.

Very nice narrative!

2014 Backlog Oathtaker (3 points)