All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign (SBG+WotR) (Pic Heavy)(update 19
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Celevue wrote:

Now, this actually illustrates an interesting point for a campaign - how does Gandalf the Grey transform into Gandalf the White? Obviously, if Gandalf the Grey dies in any scenario (and we fail any saving dice throws), he would return as Gandalf the White... but what if he beats the Balrog and lives? And if he dies, at what point does he return? We'll probably worry about that when we see how the Bridge of Khazad-dûm plays out...but any ideas and suggestions are welcome!

If memory serves (which is my way of saying I could be completely wrong), Gandalf the Grey did defeat the Balrog before 'darkness' taking him. Sounds like a win-win for you really - either he dies and comes back, or he wins and darkness takes him straight after.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:25 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Celevue wrote:
Now, this actually illustrates an interesting point for a campaign - how does Gandalf the Grey transform into Gandalf the White? Obviously, if Gandalf the Grey dies in any scenario (and we fail any saving dice throws), he would return as Gandalf the White... but what if he beats the Balrog and lives? And if he dies, at what point does he return? We'll probably worry about that when we see how the Bridge of Khazad-dûm plays out...but any ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Very interesting indeed! Returning as the White after his death is a logical solution (no matter when he dies). If he doesn't die, however, it might be nice to have a different condition for him to promote to the White. Maybe if he defeats Saruman?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Good points - as a working hypothesis, we assume that Gandalf the Grey will transform to Gandalf the White if:

1) he is killed in any scenario, and remains at 0 wounds even after between-the-scenarios dice rolls
2) he slays the Balrog at Zirak-zigil
3) he defeats (kills) Saruman in e.g. heroic duel

The White Wizard would then appear at the next suitable scenario (Restore the King, Relief of Helm's Deep, Faramir's Rescue, Pyre of Denethor / Battle of Pelennor Fields, Black Gate Opens).

Of course, this makes it rather unlikely that Gandalf and Saruman would meet again, and since Gandalf didn't kill Saruman in the duel, he would not have transformed yet.

This puts an interesting tactical twist on the Bridge of Khazad-dûm - sacrificing Gandalf there via the destruction of the bridge would automatically, one way or the other, lead to him returning as White...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

so he gets shadowfax again when he comes to rohan?

i really like the campaign by the way, would like to have it different then the books/films.

wish you luck with it! and i will follow it from now on!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes, regardless of his colour, Gandalf would summon Shadowfax again when he gets to Rohan.

It remains to be seen how the storyline evolves - I have even components to do a conversion of Radagast riding Shadowfax and leading the Rohan relief force, should it come to that (somehow can't picture his bunny sled charging against the Uruk siege force).
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

haha can't picture that either

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think Radagast's Bunny Sled would be excellent at the relief of Helm's Deep.
I can picture it now. Radagast nibbling on some 'shrooms, holding on with only one hand, while Eomer and Erkenbrand simultaneously face-palm next to him. The Uruk-hai would be so busy laughing, the cavalry charge would go unnoticed!
On another note, what happens if Boromir survives Amon Hen? Will he go with Aragorn and co, or will he head towards Minas Tirith/Osgiliath?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Though a long time TLA'er I am still new to OR and finding gems like this are like Christmas. This is a very cool thread, and an awesome project. This is what I would like to do if ever I could find another player near about. You are showing proof that twice a month is adequate to get quality games in and inspire others.
Great work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@Goldman25, we think Boromir would feel his duty calling, and he'd return to defend Osgiliath after Amon Hen. And your vision of Radagast at Helm's Deep matches mine just about exactly!

@Sithious, thanks for the kind words! Our preferred rate is probably closer to once a month, if for no other reason than to keep the breaks between "seasons" shorter. I've yet to do the Amon Hen terrain bits, and we will therefore drag the second season games all the way to April or so.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Definitely inspiring! You've got me wanting to play through the Hobbit campaign now!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great to see this thread is still alive! (I was a bit concerned)

As the others, looking forward with great anticipation to the next scenario. A wonderful idea, fantastic scenary and painting and excellent execution.

This is sort of thread that inspires us all

WIP: Riders of Rohan
Backlog: 63

Elves: 210
Numenor: 392
Mordor: 524
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

No need for concern... as you have seen from the rough scheduling in this thread, the campaign will take time, and there are going to be long pauses between games, especially between the "seasons" of scenarios. This does not mean that we have abandoned the campaign. Just follow the Behind-the-scenes WIP thread to see that work is constantly ongoing to prepare for the gameplay. I'm currently working on both Amon Hen and Helm's Deep, and will post an update in the WIP shortly.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi Celevue

I got up this morning and just happened upon your behind the scenes thread, for the first time and this one, then by association. Not only did I become so engrossed that I forgot to go to work but its now 2.45 in the afternoon and I've only just finishing reading through it all!! Consider my mind blown!! Your scenery is incredibly inspiring, particularly for someone who recently became very involved in my own scenery projects. I can only aspire to 1% of your talent and I think I'd be satisfied!! Your WIP will be very helpful to me improving upon my current lowly skill level!

Your battle reports are un-put-downable pages turners (in the computerised sense!!) and I'm now very much looking forward to the continuation of this campaign. Thanks for sharing all this with the community and I wish you continued success with it all in the future. I will be following closely.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Haha. I had the same reaction when I discovered the thread. Celevue's a beast!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks, Erunion & Zirak-Zigil! Always a pleasure to blow a few minds... and I'm happy to say that your wait for the continuation of the campaign is over...
 Post subject: Scenario 9 – The Hounds of Sauron (SBG) - part 1
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

And so it begins... the second season of our Lord of the Rings campaign, where we follow the journey of the Fellowship from Rivendell to Amon Hen. Yes, we know – “finally”, you say, and right you are. But neither Rome, nor Middle-Earth, was built in a day, and we can but apologize for the long hiatus between games. But we do hope the multitude of hero figures brings new variety to the battle report photos. Without further ado, we catch the Fellowship somewhere in Eriador…

After the failed attempt to cross the Misty Mountains via the Redhorn Gate, the Fellowship continued southward with their mind set on another route through the mines of Moria. Still at least a day’s journey from the western entrance, the company was about to halt for the night when Aragorn cried: “the wind is howling with wolf-voices. The Wargs have come west of the Mountains!” He loosened his sword Andúril in its sheat and looked around the clearing where the members of the Fellowship were standing. Suddenly, snarling wargs appeared from between the trees in three directions, led by a grey old warg chieftain. Gandalf strode forward, holding his staff aloft: “Listen, Hounds of Sauron!” he cried. “Gandalf is here. Fly, if you value your foul skin! I will shrivel you from tail to snout, if you come closer.” But the wargs were seemingly unafraid, for these were no ordinary wolves hunting for food in the wilderness...

The gaming table layout follows the Fellowship journeybook instructions, and is shown in the picture below. The Fellowship begins at the center of the board, with wargs initially approaching from the north, south and west board edges.

The journeybook scenario called for random game length, where the game is abruptly ended at some point after turn 10 if the priority roll is drawn. All through the game, the slain wargs are returned to game in the subsequent turn. We decided to make it a bit easier for the good player, reduce the length of the (rather monotonic) scenario, and have a more thematically satisfying end by agreeing that turn eight is the last turn when the wargs are respawn, and after that, the game ends when the final warg is slain. In practice, this rather ensures that the evil side is unable to meet its specified victory conditions, but we didn’t mind. There will be enough opportunities for evil victory later on in the deep places of the world! The good models started with their wounds, might, will and fate at maximum.

Turn 1 – good priority. The Fellowship formed a tight, defensive ring in the center of the clearing, with wargs closing in around them. Legolas fired his bow three times, killing one warg but missing two others he targeted. Aragorn’s ranger bow twanged, as well, but his arrow failed to stop an attacking warg.

Turn 2 – evil priority. Wargs continued to close in, with the closest now at charging distance. Clearly irritated by the Grey Wizard’s taunt, a warg charged Gandalf. The Fellowship members spread out a bit. Shouting “Khazâd! Khazâd”, Gimli let loose his throwing axes as he charged another warg. The evil creature managed to dodge the flying dwarven weapons, but not Gimli’s sturdy battle-axes. Next to him, Gandalf was harmlessly driven back by the snapping jaws of the warg. While still unengaged in combat, the bows of Aragorn and Legolas continued singing, killing one warg and wounding the chieftain.

Turn 3 – good priority. There were now over a dozen wargs within charging distance of the Fellowship, all driven to attack by some dark malice. Gandalf immobilized a warg near Gimli, while charging another one. Aragorn, Boromir and Gimli charged ahead, but soon every other company member was also engaged in a close combat. Aragorn’s mighty swing with Andúril sliced two wargs nearly in half. Gimli also showed might in battle, as he added two dead wargs onto his count. Boromir and Gandalf killed one each, as did Pippin while defending Frodo. Glowing, he turned to boast his accomplishment to Merry – only to feel a cold hand clenching his stomach as he had a sudden flashback to the Weathertop. Near him, Merry laid lifeless on the ground, with blood gushing from a large bite wound...

Turn 4 – evil priority. The wargs continued to press on, and the chieftain and another warg charged Aragorn. The company had no time to grieve for their fallen comrade, as everyone had to keep defending against snarling and clawing beasts. With a great sweep Boromir hewed the head off a warg. Gimli, standing with his stout legs apart, wielded his dwarf-axe and killed another. Sam, joining the fight alongside Frodo, was also victorious as he mortally stabbed the warg trying to reach Frodo. Meanwhile, Aragorn was driven back by the ferocious chieftain, whose claws tore into his arm.

Turn 5 – good priority. Aragorn, Gandalf, Legolas and Boromir tied the closest wargs into combat, while a newly-arrived warg charged Gimli. Wargs were now pouring from the east as well, approaching from behind the small hill with their eyes set for the weaker hobbits. The chieftain caused another wound on Aragorn, and near him, the elven grace of Legolas was also not enough to prevent him from being bitten. Boromir and Gimli continued their killing spree, and two more dead wargs dropped to the ground. Gandalf fared worse, but the attack of the victorious warg only managed to remove the wizard’s hat.

Turn 6 – good priority. Aragorn and Boromir decided to finish the warg chieftain for once and for all. In the ensuing heroic combat, Boromir sliced the head off the grey beast. Without a beat, the two heroes moved on to engage further hounds – another kill for Boromir, but the other warg manages to dodge the blade of Andúril. Nearby, Gimli scored his sixth warg, now well ahead of Legolas, even though the elf mightily dispatches two wargs with his bow. Gandalf’s sorcerous blast sent another warg to its death.

Last edited by Celevue on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Scenario 9 – The Hounds of Sauron (SBG) - part 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Turn 7 – evil priority. Aragorn’s heroic move with Gimli tied the two closest wargs into combat before the beasts could reach Frodo. Despite this, more wargs kept running into the clearing, and all but Legolas were again fighting hand-to-paw with wargs. In an attempt to protect the hobbits, Boromir joined the fight alongside Pippin, while the keen-eyed Legolas mightily shot a deadly accurate arrow between Sam and Frodo, killing the warg set on harming the Ringbearer. Close by, Aragorn slayed two beasts.

Turn 8 – evil priority. Another heroic move by Aragorn and Gimli tied three wargs into combat, but more were streaming from the east, north and west, charging Frodo, Gandalf and Boromir. Shouting “For Merry!” Pippin and Sam charged in to assist Frodo, with Sam getting another kill. Boromir and Gimli were also victorious, slaying their targets.

Turn 9 – evil priority. Once again, Aragorn and Gimli heroically charged the two closest wargs, followed now by Gandalf, who targeted a third one. More wargs poured in from all around, and Legolas tried his best to whittle them down with his arrows, but he managed only to kill one. Glamdring flashing, the Wizard slayed a warg, while Aragorn passed Andúril with a thrust through the throat of another. Gimli lost his fight this time, but the tough dwarven armor proved too much for the warg’s teeth.

Turn 10 – evil priority. Despite the tide of wargs showing some signs of stopping, the heroes were not given any respite. Gandalf’s sorcerous blast failed, and even Legolas managed to hit three wargs without actually killing any of them. Boromir and Gimli scored reliably yet again, but Aragorn was only saved by fate from getting a fatal third bite.

Turn 11 – good priority. The seemingly unstoppable tide of wargs was definitely thinning now, and encouraged by this, Boromir, Gimli, Aragorn and Gandalf all charged ahead with weapons gleaming in the moonlight. Frodo is charged, but a swift and deadly arrow from Legolas’ bow kills the warg before the Sting does. As before, Boromir and Gimli continue to pile dead wargs on the ground.

Turn 12 – good priority. Boromir found himself stranded too far away from any wargs, but Gimli and Aragorn charged one each, while Gandalf charged two after failing to dispatch them with a sorcerous blast. Legolas and the remaining hobbits teamed up against the last warg on the southern side of the clearing, with Legolas scoring the killing wound. Gimli and Aragorn slayed their wargs, but the Wizard was caught off guard and he was bitten by both wargs in a desperate last attempt of the hounds to reduce the number of the Fellowship members.

Turn 13 – Evil priority. The remaining wargs pressed on and charged Frodo and Gandalf. Boromir ran to assist Gandalf, while Pippin, Sam and Legolas joined Frodo. The wounded Wizard was grateful, as Boromir beheaded the penultimate warg. The honor of ending the battle against wargs went to Frodo, as a quick stab of Sting pierced the heart of the last attacking hound of Sauron.

Even before the last dead warg had fallen down, Aragorn rushed to Merry, terrified that this time the hobbit was truly dead. He lied perfectly still, blood still trickling from the bite wound. The wound didn’t look that bad, and as Aragorn started to open Merry’s jacket, the hobbit opened his eyes with a dazed look. He had merely knocked his head to the ground, and had temporarily passed out. The Fellowship still had its nine members alive.

Conclusions

We were happy with the shortened game length, and although the scenario was quite repetitive, it was a good refresher after a half-a-year break - and good practice for various heroic actions. My friend had a very good luck with dice post-game; she managed to restore Merry’s wound (yet again, but obviously with fate at 0), one wound & two fates for Aragorn, both wounds for Gandalf, wound & one might for Legolas, and one might for Gimli. Thus, the Fellowship will soon face the Watcher with only three points short of maximum (Merry’s fate, Aragorn’s wound and Legolas’ might). Stay tuned for the next game (relatively) soon…
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Glad you're doing this again, it's been a long wait but great battle report and gorgeous pictures.

Celevue wrote:
@Goldman25, we think Boromir would feel his duty calling, and he'd return to defend Osgiliath after Amon Hen. And your vision of Radagast at Helm's Deep matches mine just about exactly!

I think in this case it depends if any of the Hobbits got caught. If even one of the Hobbits got caught, after Boromir's moment of "weakness" he'd be willing to prove himself and travel across Rohan to try and save them. Otherwise, yes he'd go to Gondor.
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign (SBG+WotR) (Pic Heavy)(update 27
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Great adventure!

Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign (SBG+WotR) (Pic Heavy)(update 27
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

YAAAAAAY! :D 8)
It's back...
It's like this topic is all, to quote a certain TV show: "Did you miss me?"
Except well timed and without suffering from fan-worship...
Incredibly awesome; Boromir and Gimli performed awesomely, but did we expect anything else? Poor Merry though, he always seems to almost bite it. Lovely report as always. I just hope our hapless heroes can hurdle the hopeless horrors of the hideous Watcher... :o

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next